[L4D2] Helms Deep Sourcemod Enabler

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

canadianjeff
BANNED
Old 10-16-2018 , 20:14   Re: [L4D2] Helms Deep Sourcemod Enabler

@404UNF

if you modify a VPK file on the server the clients version will MISMATCH
just a heads up
yes you could modify the VPK to not include the NUT file but you would have to redistribute the new VPK to your clients
in L4D2 when a server sends content to clients when they join (ie VPK) they would need to restart the client for the new VPK to be "mounted"
and also it would conflict with the steam workshop version that the client has subscribed to
in this case... helms deep reborn
and on top of all this.... there is a client cvar cl_downloadfilter "none"
which would prevent clients from even downloading your new VPK
Lux
Veteran Member
Old 10-16-2018 , 20:30   Re: [L4D2] Helms Deep Sourcemod Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianjeff View Post
@404UNF

if you modify a VPK file on the server the clients version will MISMATCH
Wut? you should test that before you say it as fact because you can change vpks there is only checking for ("Name" & "Version", in mission.txt) String dictionaries should be left untouched too only add to stringtable.
Also "Name" & "Version" checking is only done for matchmaking from what i'v noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianjeff View Post
yes you could modify the VPK to not include the NUT file but you would have to redistribute the new VPK to your clients
Ye clients don't need nut/nuc files they are all server sided like sm.

Commission me for L4D

Last edited by Lux; 10-16-2018 at 20:32.
Psyk0tik
Veteran Member
Old 10-16-2018 , 20:55   Re: [L4D2] Helms Deep Sourcemod Enabler

Just to be clear here, you can modify VPK files for your server and it will carry over to clients, even if they have different versions, as long as you turn off sv_consistency. As Lux said, all vscripts are server-sided, so a client can have script.nut that has different content from your server's script.nut and the server would just use its own version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404UNF View Post
It'd take me about a minute to do it

Extract contents from VPK into a folder using GCFScape, delete .nut file, click and drag folder onto vpk.exe file in like, steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/bin, done. VPK.exe generates a new VPK file of the map and whatever else, minus the .nut. Or, better yet, modify the .nut to make it harmless. I doubt the map requires the files existence to run. I'm not sure what a .nut file is either, nor am I sure how it would even get initialized (unless there's some entity in the map that calls it somehow?), but it sounds fairly easy to remove the damn thing outright.
My point is that some server owners are ignorant to these things, just like how writing simple plugins can be complicated for many users.
Old 11-13-2018 , 10:02   Re: [L4D2] Helms Deep Sourcemod Enabler

I personally removed all of the authors .nut files associated with non-scripted events and recompiled; there are multiple instances of checking for sourcemod and metamod, and while this plugin will let you play, it doesn't prevent all instances of the scripts detecting and disabling certain aspects of the map that are just otherwise incompatible with sm/mm
Closed Thread