Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Initiative for standardized webpanels

Post New Thread Reply   

shanapu
Veteran Member
Old 11-22-2017 , 17:40   Initiative for standardized webpanels
Reply With Quote #1

"Initiative" for developing/agreement a common standard for sourcemod plugin webpanels to have a consistent layout for all plugins webpanels.

Right now we have webpanels for sourcebans, stamm, rankme, multit1vs1, mostactive, player analytics, diverse surf & bhop and many more.
Spoiler

Tinker all this panels together for your community to provide your Players some statistics, will end (without heavy edits) in a inconsistent patchwork with different layouts and designs.

Not everyone is able to edit all these panels to fit in their envoirment.
In my eyes, such a disarray harm the servers community layout and their brand recognition.
And it just looks like shit. Imho

In last time more people teaser or announced new panels with different usages. And it seems like everyone use another Framework/template as their base.

To counteract further fragmentation, I think, it would be good when we reach an agreement as a voluntary recommendation for building webpanels for sourcemod plugins.

This would simplify the developing of webpanels for unexperienced plugin developers and also make edits of designs easier for unadvanced server operators.

And the main goal: a uniform / standardized web interface over all panels within a website.

I already started to build a common webpanel for some plugins mentioned above, but I stopped developing after new promising panels was teasered again, which looks much more advanced as what I build. For myself I decided to pause work on it until I/we've made a decision or I/we'll see which framework/project will most likely prevail in the future or maybe even not released to the public.

Maybe my idea is bullshit and I have missed something important on my brainfarts so...
I'd like to hear your opinion on this!
Especially from our web developers.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-26-2017 , 17:47   Re: Initiative for standardized webpanels
Reply With Quote #2

I completely agree, it would be nice to have a base panel that allowed for the add-on of modular parts/features based on your community needs. It would be great to have a base panel on GitHub, where everyone could share their own forks with different features but keeping the same core.

But at the same time that would be a lot of upkeeping and time, and people are greedy in my experience and will keep as much as they can private as to profit off their work (which is fair in some cases).
Deathknife
Old 11-26-2017 , 22:11   Re: Initiative for standardized webpanels
Reply With Quote #3

I don't have much to contribute(I hate web), but I don't really see people adapting a standardized style/design, unless there's a base panel that they can just attach it on easily.

I'm interested where this goes to.
Quote:
I already started to build a common webpanel for some plugins mentioned above, but I stopped developing after new promising panels was teasered again, which looks much more advanced as what I build. For myself I decided to pause work on it until I/we've made a decision or I/we'll see which framework/project will most likely prevail in the future or maybe even not released to the public.
Don't stop just because of new ones, by the look of things they won't be releasing anytime soon.

Quote:
it would be nice to have a base panel that allowed for the add-on of modular parts/features based on your community needs.
That would be nice.
Old 12-01-2017 , 11:34   Re: Initiative for standardized webpanels
Reply With Quote #4

OK.
Old 12-01-2017 , 14:43   Re: Initiative for standardized webpanels
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkarr View Post
OK.
will take few days to process that feedback!
Old 12-01-2017 , 14:59   Re: Initiative for standardized webpanels
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathknife View Post
will take few days to process that feedback!
Excuse me, I wasn't trying to be rude. I just agree with the general idea and I'm willing to give a bit of my time for that kinda of project. I would suggest to use bootstrap as it helps to do nice things quiet easly and rapidly.

EDIT: Why don't we make a git or something for that project?

Last edited by Arkarr; 12-01-2017 at 15:00.
Deathknife
Old 12-01-2017 , 15:04   Re: Initiative for standardized webpanels
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkarr View Post
Excuse me, I wasn't trying to be rude. I just agree with the general idea and I'm willing to give a bit of my time for that kinda of project. I would suggest to use bootstrap as it helps to do nice things quiet easly and rapidly.

EDIT: Why don't we make a git or something for that project?
I was only kidding, you didn't come off as rude or anything, no worries

Bootstrap or semantics ui?

Also, front end or back end as well.
Old 12-01-2017 , 15:16   Re: Initiative for standardized webpanels
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathknife View Post
I was only kidding, you didn't come off as rude or anything, no worries

Bootstrap or semantics ui?

Also, front end or back end as well.
I only know Boostrap and I sux at web things.