Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!

Post New Thread Reply   

Roach
Writes love letters to sawce Daily
Old 10-15-2007 , 12:40   The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!
Reply With Quote #1

Backstory:

I'm at school right now, waiting between classes.

I want to think with portals while I'm killing time. I remember that earlier in the day I had to shut down my PC, and steam was running, and for some reason I couldn't close steam manually because it said hl2 was still running for some god forsaken reason, even though HL2 wasnt running at all (nothing in the taskbar, no memory usage, etc).

So I shut down the PC, come back, boot up here at school, start steam with my WAN off so I dont get steam trying to update (my school blocks the ports for Steam) and I get the normal message for no network connection found, would you like to retry or use offline mode.

I click offline mode.

This is the subsequent screen I get.

Will someone explain to me Valve logic in displaying me this screen?
[IMG]http://img144.**************/img144/6696/steamnn6.png[/IMG]

WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK...I CLICKED OFFLINE MODE. THIS MEANS IM NOT GOING TO CONNECT TO THE STEAM NETWORK. WHAT KIND OF STUPID ASS PROGRAMMER DESIGNED THIS FUCKING SYSTEM?

OFFLINE, NO NETWORK. I'M NOT GOING TO CONNECT TO THE STEAM NETWORK, I'M GOING TO PLAY OFF THE NETWORK. HOW FUCKING RETARDED ARE YOUR PROGRAMMERS?!?!

Bailopan, I know you have some kind of semi-line inside of Valve, will you yell at the Steam developers and have them develop an offline mode that actually works in 3 ways.

1) Works offline, period, no questions asked.

2) Gives you the option to start steam in offline mode even if you are online (this way when you start steam you arent automatically thrust into logging onto the network.) This would solve so many issues with offline mode, since many times for people like me at school who are behind blocked ports but have internet access, when steam boots up it looks for an update. When it cant find the update, it decides to lock itself up and not let you use offline mode at all.

3) Is actually programmed properly so it doesnt think hl2 is running when its not running? (This last one is asking a lot, I know, but is it REALLY that much to ask to design a system that works?!)

/me cries
Now replace the word "good" with "dumb".
What was your rationale for proposing such a thing?

Last edited by Roach; 10-15-2007 at 12:46.
BAILOPAN
Old 10-15-2007 , 13:08   Re: The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!
Reply With Quote #2

Ah, Steam, the "magical you-can-download-your-games" network that DDoS's itself every large release.

1) I tried playing Portal and the game minimized-maximized itself about 15 times in a period of 10 seconds before crashing. Running windowed made it work fine. Maybe it doesn't like multiple monitors?

2) I tried joining a TF game by clicking sawce's name, but it wouldn't let me because I already had a TF launched. Instead it said "You cannot run more than one copy of this game." Is Steam not smart enough to check for an open instance and then send a connect command?

3) I literally could not properly update Steam until about four days after Orange Box was released.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 10-15-2007 at 13:12.
Roach
Old 10-15-2007 , 13:18   Re: The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!
Reply With Quote #3

Lets develop a new platform and call it Coal (TM)
Pro Patria Finland
Old 10-15-2007 , 13:32   Re: The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Lets develop a new platform and call it Coal (TM)
I'm in. But I'd prefer calling it Smoke.
Donor
Old 10-15-2007 , 14:01   Re: The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!
Reply With Quote #5

Offline mode, haha me and my brother were discussing this. In order for you to work in offline mode you have to connect to their system first, and then you go offline. He moved recently and doesnt have internet, so he bought the orange box in a store and installed hoping he could play in offline mode for portals. Surprise!!! Even though you click offline mode, it still tries to validate the game software methinks...
Pro Patria Finland
Old 10-15-2007 , 14:09   Re: The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewt View Post
Offline mode, haha me and my brother were discussing this. In order for you to work in offline mode you have to connect to their system first, and then you go offline. He moved recently and doesnt have internet, so he bought the orange box in a store and installed hoping he could play in offline mode for portals. Surprise!!! Even though you click offline mode, it still tries to validate the game software methinks...
Yeah, I think it has to be validated. But can't that be done by phone or something too?

Otherwise Steam wants to connect in the internets for the in-game advertising (the content server ads etc.)
Old 10-15-2007 , 14:13   Re: The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Backstory:

I'm at school right now, waiting between classes.

I want to think with portals while I'm killing time. I remember that earlier in the day I had to shut down my PC, and steam was running, and for some reason I couldn't close steam manually because it said hl2 was still running for some god forsaken reason, even though HL2 wasnt running at all (nothing in the taskbar, no memory usage, etc).

So I shut down the PC, come back, boot up here at school, start steam with my WAN off so I dont get steam trying to update (my school blocks the ports for Steam) and I get the normal message for no network connection found, would you like to retry or use offline mode.

I click offline mode.

This is the subsequent screen I get.

Will someone explain to me Valve logic in displaying me this screen?
[IMG]http://img144.**************/img144/6696/steamnn6.png[/IMG]

WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK...I CLICKED OFFLINE MODE. THIS MEANS IM NOT GOING TO CONNECT TO THE STEAM NETWORK. WHAT KIND OF STUPID ASS PROGRAMMER DESIGNED THIS FUCKING SYSTEM?

OFFLINE, NO NETWORK. I'M NOT GOING TO CONNECT TO THE STEAM NETWORK, I'M GOING TO PLAY OFF THE NETWORK. HOW FUCKING RETARDED ARE YOUR PROGRAMMERS?!?!

Bailopan, I know you have some kind of semi-line inside of Valve, will you yell at the Steam developers and have them develop an offline mode that actually works in 3 ways.

1) Works offline, period, no questions asked.

2) Gives you the option to start steam in offline mode even if you are online (this way when you start steam you arent automatically thrust into logging onto the network.) This would solve so many issues with offline mode, since many times for people like me at school who are behind blocked ports but have internet access, when steam boots up it looks for an update. When it cant find the update, it decides to lock itself up and not let you use offline mode at all.

3) Is actually programmed properly so it doesnt think hl2 is running when its not running? (This last one is asking a lot, I know, but is it REALLY that much to ask to design a system that works?!)

/me cries
rofl i started laughing when you said NO SHIT SHERLOCK.... then the rest i dont know i found that really funny just thought you should know.

Send a message via MSN to Liquidz
TheNewt
Donor
Old 10-15-2007 , 14:24   Re: The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!
Reply With Quote #8

I don't think this matter is funny. It super serial... You can't be any more serial when it comes to steam...

P.S: When the teacher asked the student why Al Gore got the Nobel Peace Prize. The student promptly responded, "Because he defeated Manbearpig." But of course, when you speak in a classroom you don't have links in the air.
Roach
Old 10-15-2007 , 14:31   Re: The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Patria Finland View Post
I'm in. But I'd prefer calling it Smoke.
Smoke...or Smoke (TM)?
TheNewt
Donor
Old 10-15-2007 , 14:42   Re: The brilliance of STEAM strikes again!
Reply With Quote #10

... or Smoke™?