Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Creating permanent NPCs/models

Post New Thread Reply   

Mark186
Old 08-25-2006 , 07:49   Creating permanent NPCs/models
Reply With Quote #1

Delete Me.

Last edited by Mark186; 08-25-2006 at 20:39.
Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 08-25-2006 , 11:28   Re: Creating permanent NPCs/models
Reply With Quote #2

This makes absolutely no sense IMO. I think Twilight's tutorial is way better and even covers more. I don't like it when people say "I needed this so here have some code that has no explanation whatsoever, just believe me it works."
Old 08-25-2006 , 11:33   Re: Creating permanent NPCs/models
Reply With Quote #3

You missed the point entirely, Suzuka's code uses clcmd, which means you have to type it in console in order to create the NPC. This version creates NPCs on map start. If Suzuka had covered how to make the NPCs permanent I would not have been posting this, and if I took some time just to post this to help people who had the same problems why would you flame me?
Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 08-25-2006 , 12:28   Re: Creating permanent NPCs/models
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark186 View Post
You missed the point entirely, Suzuka's code uses clcmd, which means you have to type it in console in order to create the NPC. This version creates NPCs on map start. If Suzuka had covered how to make the NPCs permanent I would not have been posting this, and if I took some time just to post this to help people who had the same problems why would you flame me?
This isn't a flame, I just think it's not useful.

As I said in my entity tutorial to you, all you have to do is copy the code from a function to plugin_init. It's no big deal, and certainly doesn't warrant a tutorial.
Veteran Member
Old 08-25-2006 , 12:31   Re: Creating permanent NPCs/models
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:

O.M.G what a great feature. With the ability to create NPC's when a player connects, who needs console!?

p.s. Entities are permanent until something/engine calls remove(delete) entity or something else happens.
Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 08-25-2006 , 12:40   Re: Creating permanent NPCs/models
Reply With Quote #6

Additionally, it's not a good idea to post tutorials when you're not even sure it works. People will be reading this and thinking that it's accurate because a moderator hasn't trashed it, which means more false information that people use and ask others about why it doesn't work.

Please, to you and any other people who want to write tutorials, don't actually submit it unless you know the topic inside out.
Old 08-25-2006 , 19:39   Re: Creating permanent NPCs/models
Reply With Quote #7

It works 100%.
Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 08-25-2006 , 20:00   Re: Creating permanent NPCs/models
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
It works 100%.
While we're at it, I'm going to go write a tutorial like this:

Code:
public plugin_init() { }

I mean hey, it works. And I know for a fact yours doesn't, because you insert random identifiers that you expect the reader to change.
Old 08-25-2006 , 20:08   Re: Creating permanent NPCs/models
Reply With Quote #9

Ok, if you think it's so horrible than delete it, it's not like I posted it for my own sake, if someone somewhere looks at this and can use it or benefits from it, then that's great. I could really care less what you think of it, but maybe first you should actually try it and then tell me that it doesn't work cause I've placed about 15 models around my map and it works perfectly. You have to place the model first, setting up the origins, then you can load up the map, adjust the direction of the model in angles, and then adjust the size (not of the visible model) but so you can't walk through it. I guarantee it works, copy and paste my example of car1, without the arrows and side notes of course, then load up mecklenburg and you'll see.
Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 08-25-2006 , 20:18   Re: Creating permanent NPCs/models
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nver_been_hit View Post
OMG! Why are we letting newbs make tutoriols ? HA! please leave tutoriols for the expert . you only going to confuse people with a code that might work and no explnations on anything . I t might work but hawk is right , it doesnt validate a tutoriol . p.s. OMG i love hawk . he get funier every day p.s.s. Hawk I still need help with APIs and the natives
Thanks, or something.

Quote:
Ok, if you think it's so horrible than delete it, it's not like I posted it for my own sake, if someone somewhere looks at this and can use it or benefits from it, then that's great. I could really care less what you think of it, but maybe first you should actually try it and then tell me that it doesn't work cause I've placed about 15 models around my map and it works perfectly. You have to place the model first, setting up the origins, then you can load up the map, adjust the direction of the model in angles, and then adjust the size (not of the visible model) but so you can't walk through it. I guarantee it works, copy and paste my example of car1, without the arrows and side notes of course, then load up mecklenburg and you'll see.
nver_been_hit nailed it on the head. I know what I'm doing and I really don't understand your tutorial. You can't just assume someone else can find this useful, because it already exists with a good explanation in the tutorial by Suzuka. All you really did was make it totally illogical and move all the code into plugin_init.