Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Help me

Post New Thread Reply   

7azM
Old 09-13-2013 , 10:01   Help me
Reply With Quote #1

my friend was banned for no reason and he was not hacking or anything and the server has auto jump
he used auto bhop and he scrolls the mousewheel 2 and space

Reason Ban : [SM] ADMIN: Permanently banned player "Bob" (reason: SMAC 0.8.4.0: Command speed.toggle violation).
Kigen
BANNED
Old 09-13-2013 , 16:47   Re: Help me
Reply With Quote #2

You would have to talk to the server owner.

GoD-Tony, you do know that cheat commands should be found using the CVar module, right?

Code:
CVars_AddCVar("speed.toggle",             COMP_NONEXIST,  ACTION_BAN,     "0.0",  0.0,    PRIORITY_HIGH);
Client commands don't get passed to the server. So if the cheat creates a client command called "speed.toggle" then the Command module will never see it. The Command module should only ever be used to test for problems in server-side commands.
SM9
Veteran Member
Old 09-15-2013 , 09:35   Re: Help me
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7azM View Post
my friend was banned for no reason and he was not hacking or anything and the server has auto jump
he used auto bhop and he scrolls the mousewheel 2 and space

Reason Ban : [SM] ADMIN: Permanently banned player "Bob" (reason: SMAC 0.8.4.0: Command speed.toggle violation).
Looks like he got banned for using a speedhack script.
Kigen
BANNED
Old 09-15-2013 , 21:27   Re: Help me
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoderx View Post
Looks like he got banned for using a speedhack script.
It'd be more accurate to say he got banned for somehow entering "speed.toggle" into his console. Either by bind or another action.

I originally wrote all that is the Command module. It was not designed to be anti-cheat but to prevent people from maliciously crashing the server. I highly discourage using Command violations as proof of cheating.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 09-16-2013 , 01:18   Re: Help me
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kigen View Post
GoD-Tony, you do know that cheat commands should be found using the CVar module, right?

Client commands don't get passed to the server. So if the cheat creates a client command called "speed.toggle" then the Command module will never see it. The Command module should only ever be used to test for problems in server-side commands.
It was some kind of script bundled with a cheat to change the cheats' settings, and the aliases from that script were sent to the server. I can't remember if convar checking on the client-side command worked in that case.
Old 09-16-2013 , 04:02   Re: Help me
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
It was some kind of script bundled with a cheat to change the cheats' settings, and the aliases from that script were sent to the server. I can't remember if convar checking on the client-side command worked in that case.
The ConVar module will not detect aliases. However, I do recommend caution when taking anything the command module takes as proof of cheating. As I said before all you'd have to do is type it in to trigger the ban. I've seen people try and pass around fake fps configs that are designed to get the person who uses them banned. A while back there was one going around that was purposely designed to get people banned from KAC servers for using a crash command.

Last edited by Kigen; 09-16-2013 at 04:02.
SM9
Veteran Member
Old 09-16-2013 , 06:22   Re: Help me
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kigen View Post
The ConVar module will not detect aliases. However, I do recommend caution when taking anything the command module takes as proof of cheating. As I said before all you'd have to do is type it in to trigger the ban. I've seen people try and pass around fake fps configs that are designed to get the person who uses them banned. A while back there was one going around that was purposely designed to get people banned from KAC servers for using a crash command.
I do agree with you, A simple kick would be sufficient since it would annoy the hacker and warn the innocent people with dodgy configs.

On the other hand you can even remove that since speedhacks no longer work with recent CSS updates valve finally put it right, I mean why should clients of been able to use a server command anyway? host_framerate or host_timescale is obviously something for the Host and not client. But oh well

Edit a more valid method would be to query client cvars rather than detecting scripts, as these scripts are just a toggle for changing cvars.

Last edited by SM9; 09-16-2013 at 06:23.