Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Memcache(d)

Post New Thread Reply   

MUN
Old 11-27-2012 , 21:42   Memcache(d)
Reply With Quote #1

So I already made a post on the HLXCE forums, but I thought I might as well make one here.

One of the biggest problems with HLXCE is that for every query it has to talk to the database server, even if it is the same page being loaded. Yes, I know APC and other opcaches help, but they still need to talk to the database and cause excessive amount of load. So I was wondering if anyone knows, has implemented, or used memcache or memcached on a modern HLXCE install.

Thanks in advance.

Ref: http://forums.hlxce....reduce-db-load/
Old 11-27-2012 , 22:06   Re: Memcache(d)
Reply With Quote #2

I have looked into different cache systems but as of 1.6 very little was written to be cached (well by external systems) I am also still catching up on 1.7 updates and changes so I do not plan on working on a cache system tell after 1.7 is released.

If you have any luck tho please let me know. I would like to know the amount of performance you would get out of it.
Old 11-28-2012 , 02:55   Re: Memcache(d)
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick4283 View Post
I have looked into different cache systems but as of 1.6 very little was written to be cached (well by external systems) I am also still catching up on 1.7 updates and changes so I do not plan on working on a cache system tell after 1.7 is released.

If you have any luck tho please let me know. I would like to know the amount of performance you would get out of it.
If I may make a suggest Memcached > Memcache, if you ever get to that point, but I would love for even the smallest of caching considering my database is now rocking at 1.6 gigs.
Old 11-29-2012 , 08:27   Re: Memcache(d)
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUN View Post
If I may make a suggest Memcached > Memcache, if you ever get to that point, but I would love for even the smallest of caching considering my database is now rocking at 1.6 gigs.
Honestly, the php Memcache extension is a little better, I've had no problems with it so far.

The daemon, you have almost no choice, except for Memcached or Couchbase

RCON Helper | [TF2] LogUpload | CCC Donator Tags | PHP Steam API Wrapper

Last edited by Nikkii; 11-29-2012 at 08:31.
Mavrick4283
Veteran Member
Old 11-29-2012 , 15:00   Re: Memcache(d)
Reply With Quote #5

They are one in the same when it comes to coding HLX:CE to work with it,

Quote:
Here is a quick backgrounder in naming conventions (for those unfamiliar), which explains the frustration by the question asked: For many *nix applications, the piece that does the backed work is called a "daemon" (think "service" in Windows-land), while the interface or client application is what you use to control or access the daemon. The daemon is most often named the same as the client, with the letter "d" appended to it. For example "imap" would be a client that connects to the "imapd" daemon.

The main difference is listed here http://code.google.com/p/memcached/w...ientComparison

So it rely matters on if we use some of the newer features, at witch point there would be a check to let yall know ect....
Old 12-06-2012 , 00:35   Re: Memcache(d)
Reply With Quote #6

The reason I say memcached is because it can be distributed and therefore you can use it on multiple servers so if you are Lotusclan size you can run two webservers side by side and use the advantage of both memcached, as well as many cluster based cloud solutions do the same thing.