Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Best Linux OS for hlds Servers

Post New Thread Reply   

MAUGHOLD
Veteran Member
Old 12-31-2010 , 06:59   Re: Best Linux OS for hlds Servers
Reply With Quote #31

I know this post is a little old but, I would simply go to the top at 5 game server provider web sites and look at the Operating system that they are using.

I know that NFO, Argueably the best game server provider on the net, Uses Gentoo.
I have used Gentoo and Fedora core and what I have found with all linux distro's is that the DEMO RECORDING feature has been bugged in DOD since ver1.0 retail.

if you try to record a demo on any linux distro, the demo will come out corrupted.
it will play but, Some models will be missing and when the players talk, Its completely garbled and they are look as if they are in spectator.

So if your going to use this for scrimm/league play, Make sure to get a Winblows-server-2003 OS. Of course if it is a Winblows box, then you can only run it at no hight then 512fps due to the kernal limitations. Whereass with linux you can run it boosted to a full constant 1000fps using the sys_ticrate 10000 and -pingboost1.
{FJ}Justice STEAM_0:0:633975 If anyone needs any help with their server, Just add me to steam friends and I'll help you out.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 12-31-2010 , 12:14   Re: Best Linux OS for hlds Servers
Reply With Quote #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAUGHOLD View Post
if you try to record a demo on any linux distro, the demo will come out corrupted.
it will play but, Some models will be missing and when the players talk, Its completely garbled and they are look as if they are in spectator.
Are you saying none of these issues happen when HLTV is on Windows? I've only used the linux version. I don't recall ever having missing models. I often see that when watching live everybody's class will be the FG-42 class which is annoying.

I've solved the issues with the voices. The voices are garbled even when you are in the HLTV server (live, not watching a recorded demo). I've come to the conclusion that HLTV does not transmit the voice codec from the server through HLTV to the HLTV client.

Everything I do is on Fedora Core 6 (soon to upgrade to new (used) hardware and Fedora 14).
Old 12-31-2010 , 22:01   Re: Best Linux OS for hlds Servers
Reply With Quote #33

Redhat.

Never caused me problems and it's more stable IMO
danny0085
Old 03-07-2011 , 07:03   Re: Best Linux OS for hlds Servers
Reply With Quote #34

No doubt that the best option is ubuntu linux.
Vita
Old 03-16-2011 , 14:56   Re: Best Linux OS for hlds Servers
Reply With Quote #35

Debian 5

Affordable game hosting - www.Nikos-Hosting.com
Send a message via MSN to Vita Send a message via Skype™ to Vita
xakintosh
I run no-steam servers!
Old 03-17-2011 , 07:44   Re: Best Linux OS for hlds Servers
Reply With Quote #36

If you are new i suggest you to start with Ubuntu,OpenSUSE and then to jump to Debian
And when the right time is come http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html maybe the most effective operation system in time ! (note: for now it's a mess xD)
iSimon
Old 03-17-2011 , 09:43   Re: Best Linux OS for hlds Servers
Reply With Quote #37

Choosing is a linux distro is really based on personal choice, not which is most popular. If you are new to linux, debian, ubuntu, or fedora would be good places to start with it.

Send a message via MSN to iSimon Send a message via Skype™ to iSimon