Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]

Post New Thread Reply   

Darkwob
BANNED
Old 03-10-2019 , 12:38   Re: [l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]
Reply With Quote #21

can you make a menu where you can choose weapons and other slot items at the start of the game ? the other round through the menu can get the equipment he chooses.but I want him to choose it,not on the server.
PatriotGames
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-13-2019 , 15:50   Re: [l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]
Reply With Quote #22

Hello Darkwob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwob View Post
can we choose weapons or other items for VIP players and admins, except for upgrades?
Yes, you can configure any combination of items, or nothing at all, for VIP/Admin, just like the base item selections for the other players.

Quote:
can he choose a menu while in the game ?you can access it by typing a command in the chat.
A menu is not available in version 1.2, but it is on my development list for a future release.

Quote:
can you make a menu where you can choose weapons and other slot items at the start of the game ? the other round through the menu can get the equipment he chooses.but I want him to choose it,not on the server.
That was exactly the idea I had in mind for the menu system, to give server operators the ability to enable specific players or all players, to configure their own gear load-out in sIs. To be honest, I've not started any coding for that component yet, so not sure how involved it will be.

Thanks for your questions and feedback,
Patriot

Last edited by PatriotGames; 03-13-2019 at 15:51.
zaviier
Old 07-05-2019 , 13:00   Re: [l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]
Reply With Quote #23

what flags to set for all survivor bots?
RDiver
Old 05-18-2020 , 05:06   Re: [l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
sIs Goals
Simplify: by eliminating the need for numerous timers there are fewer cvars to set and hopefully, increased reliability.
Add intelligence: only give items if they are needed or according to a prioritization system. No brute-force item giving and no excess item spawns.
Add VIP/admin options: offer server operators the option to give different items to VIP/admins based on one or more flags.
Add flexibility: give items anytime a player spawns (first spawn, bot takeover, rescue closet, re-spawn, joining an in-progress map, etc.) not just at round start.
Actually flexibility is not enough for a sophisticated respawn mechanism. For instance, a default set of equipment and weapons is restored when players take over or re-gain control of the EXISTING bots which are already spawned on site. Some in mischief can take advantage of such exploit to effortlessly consume infinite supplies.

Shouldn't the plugin apply item spawning to those new bots (e.g Multislots supporting !addbot) during gameplay, as well as everyone either at the start of the first map (coop/campaign) or round start for each team in every chapter (versus)?

In short, more CVARs should be offered so as to select which scenarios enable smart item selection. Other than that this plugin works great. Thanks.

Last edited by RDiver; 05-27-2020 at 17:51.
jjambo789
Old 05-18-2020 , 09:27   Re: [l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]
Reply With Quote #25

Please modify it to give only empty slots.
Alex101192
Old 05-24-2020 , 12:57   Re: [l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiver View Post
Actually flexibility is not enough for different approaches of "spawns". For instance, default set of equipments and weapons is restored to players when they take over or re-gain control of the EXISTING bots which are already spawned on site. That's not what I proposed to do so since many players can take advantage of such exploit to effortlessly consume infinite supplies.

Shouldn't the plugin apply item spawning to those new bots (e.g Multislots supporting !addbot) during gameplay, as well as everyone either at the start of the first map (coop/campaign) or round start for each team in every chapter (versus) ?

In short, more CVARs should be offered so as to select which scenarios enable to smart item selection. Other than that this plugin works great. Thanks.
Yeah these are issues that plugins like this have. Unfortunately the authors of such plugins don't consider such situations of players taking advantages of these respawn mechanics to get new item.
MasterMind420
BANNED
Old 05-26-2020 , 10:58   Re: [l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex101192 View Post
Yeah these are issues that plugins like this have. Unfortunately the authors of such plugins don't consider such situations of players taking advantages of these respawn mechanics to get new item.
The problem with giving spawn items for bots is that it would require a substantial amount more code to implement properly. Bots are constantly recreated, when u go afk, leave the game, map changes(for servers over 4 players on coop) a new bot is created. So in such instances the best way to properly give players items and to remove any exploit would be to use Steam ID to track if wether or not the player received new items during a specific campaign and not give bots spawn items. That way players would only ever be given the items on first spawn into the server and even if they left and came back, if still in the same campaign they would not be given new items. It's not as simple as some may think to prevent exploits for this. Hence why most item giving plugins don't deal with it.
Alex101192
Old 05-26-2020 , 15:38   Re: [l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind420 View Post
The problem with giving spawn items for bots is that it would require a substantial amount more code to implement properly. Bots are constantly recreated, when u go afk, leave the game, map changes(for servers over 4 players on coop) a new bot is created. So in such instances the best way to properly give players items and to remove any exploit would be to use Steam ID to track if wether or not the player received new items during a specific campaign and not give bots spawn items. That way players would only ever be given the items on first spawn into the server and even if they left and came back, if still in the same campaign they would not be given new items. It's not as simple as some may think to prevent exploits for this. Hence why most item giving plugins don't deal with it.
Nobody said it was simple. But you can't expect anyone to run this on a serious public server meant to be played by random people.

I had similar issues with ABM (multislot like plugin). I wasn't aware of it at first. Then one day I joined a game and found out that players were constantly quitting and joining back to have 100hp full of health back.
You can't expect anyone to use plugins like these on public server apart from maybe tournaments and competitive games where there is people watching in real time.
With this plugin I can already think of a situation where VIP players intentionally give their pills to somebody else then join back to get one more and spawn infinite items.

Superversus for example deals with this problem by simply making it so that players who rejoin back respawn dead instead of spawning alive with 100hp. This simple change alone prevents the exploit.
Something similar can be done with this plugin. When you quit and join back, you won't get a the item. Same method of superversus. And then allow the server administrator to choose whether the item should be given again on next round or if only on the next campaign.

As of right now the plugin is basically just a server side exploit that people can take advantage of to break the game.

I understand this is harder work, but you really cannot expect people to use something like this on a public server and deal with it.

Players should at the very least be informed in the description that this plugin basically gives griefers and cheaters a way to cheat and exploit the game without ripercussion.

Admins who have experience with this sort of things will know about it, but all the others will just install the plugin unaware of the consequences.

Last edited by Alex101192; 05-26-2020 at 15:44.
MasterMind420
BANNED
Old 05-27-2020 , 11:34   Re: [l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]
Reply With Quote #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex101192 View Post
Nobody said it was simple. But you can't expect anyone to run this on a serious public server meant to be played by random people.

I had similar issues with ABM (multislot like plugin). I wasn't aware of it at first. Then one day I joined a game and found out that players were constantly quitting and joining back to have 100hp full of health back.
You can't expect anyone to use plugins like these on public server apart from maybe tournaments and competitive games where there is people watching in real time.
With this plugin I can already think of a situation where VIP players intentionally give their pills to somebody else then join back to get one more and spawn infinite items.

Superversus for example deals with this problem by simply making it so that players who rejoin back respawn dead instead of spawning alive with 100hp. This simple change alone prevents the exploit.
Something similar can be done with this plugin. When you quit and join back, you won't get a the item. Same method of superversus. And then allow the server administrator to choose whether the item should be given again on next round or if only on the next campaign.

As of right now the plugin is basically just a server side exploit that people can take advantage of to break the game.

I understand this is harder work, but you really cannot expect people to use something like this on a public server and deal with it.

Players should at the very least be informed in the description that this plugin basically gives griefers and cheaters a way to cheat and exploit the game without ripercussion.

Admins who have experience with this sort of things will know about it, but all the others will just install the plugin unaware of the consequences.
...if someone is going to take advantage of any potential exploits on your server, maybe you should be watching them and banning them if you take it that seriously. No one expects you to use these plugins...lol In fact i'm pretty sure the authors of both could care less, don't like it? Learn to code and fix them yourself or simply don't use them. Coming onto a public forum and complaining the way you are gets you no where.

Last edited by MasterMind420; 05-27-2020 at 11:36.
Mi.Cura
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2020 , 13:52   Re: [l4d2] Smart Item Selector (v1.2) [5-Mar-2019]
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind420 View Post
...if someone is going to take advantage of any potential exploits on your server, maybe you should be watching them and banning them if you take it that seriously. No one expects you to use these plugins...lol In fact i'm pretty sure the authors of both could care less, don't like it? Learn to code and fix them yourself or simply don't use them. Coming onto a public forum and complaining the way you are gets you no where.
I totally agree with MasterMind420.
If the plugin doesn't meet your expectations don't use it.
I have servers with this plugin, if players want to cheat by staying idle for a moment, remember that items can be disabled, and weapons for example can be random.
So staying idle can be bad or good, it depending on what he will receive.
Disable items like earning medkit for example.

Last edited by Mi.Cura; 05-27-2020 at 14:17.