Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Beware of the Thief!

Post New Thread Reply   

asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-19-2013 , 23:50   Re: Beware of the Thief!
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggamemnon View Post
I thought that there was a matter of if you paid for something to be Custom done for you, then you had the right to have it and only you?

I have had Custom Plugins written which I have paid large sums for and expect those Plugins to be used only by myself. When is comes to community plugins, I donate to the Coders who create those plugins. The same as I donate regularly to SourceMod and have donated several times to SourceBans also.

I just cannot understand how when you pay and pay well for something to be done for you privately then all of a sudden it becomes common property? So it seems that I should stop donating to the Coders when you see the "Like my work - then Donate" ? Is that the way this should be done then?

Perhaps given psychonic's reply I should reconsider that now since some of the plugins that I have donated to are remakes or follow ons from the works of others. So perhaps I should cease donating to those Coders now? Is that what you are suggesting?

Perhaps psychonic should also be aware of this:

Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

My Clan uses games for the Teaching of Cognative and Motor Skills to children with disabilities. This has been documented by the Cerebral Palsy League. So under the Fair use exemption I am allowed to do this. Understand now psychonic?

Re: AeroAcrobat "How Oo" - Yes that is what I am wondering about also?

Hmmm?
Plugins are not publicly downloadable, models, sounds and other game content are.

Additionally, the EULA (section C) for the content authoring tools requires you to make any distributed derivative works publicly available on a non-commercial basis, and thus it's impossible to steal a model from another server.

Finally, reproducing a likeness of a copyrighted character to then distribute on a publicly accessible server (regardless of the stated purpose, and you are well aware that I know how much time and effort you put into what you do) would in no way fall under fair use regulations.
Old 05-22-2013 , 02:49   Re: Beware of the Thief!
Reply With Quote #12

This thread has just been brought to my attention and I debated on even dignifying this with a response.

1) I have never been on your server and could not care less if banned or not as I have no intentions of going there. I have also reciprocated.

2) I see maps I have done on other people's servers that I have not released and it's the same thing. Once released, it's given away to anyone that connects to a server with the content. I wonder if you have one of my maps?

3) As most everyone here has confirmed, I have not stolen anything from you. In fact if we want to have truth in posting, You are the one in the wrong here as you are in violation of rules of this site.
proof = "Always be respectful to other members. Flaming or abusing members in any way will not be tolerated."

So I summit this liable thread should be removed as such a post is alleged to not be tolerated.

4) You obviously have a very limited and juvenile understanding of many things.
You paid someone to do some things that you did not know how to do, that does not make you legal owner.
You also seem to believe that because you donate to a plugin's coder, that said plugin is now yours exclusively? This is beyond ridiculous. All you have done is embarrass yourself with this post
Aggamemnon
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-22-2013 , 10:51   Re: Beware of the Thief!
Reply With Quote #13

No I don't Young man. I am older than you, so get your facts straight before you even open your mouth.

I call a Spade a Spade and not a Shovel! Also you have been traced whilst trying to check out my site as I type this response.

You obviously haven't got a clue as to what you are talking about here " You paid someone to do some things that you did not know how to do, that does not make you legal owner."

1. So when you pay a painter to paint a landscape and it is hanging on the wall of your lounge room, you say you are not the legal owner? Well that is indeed very ridiculous.

2. Also as far as paying for a Custom Plugin that is written exclusively for the payee - then of course that plugin is only for the purchaser.

3. As far as maps go. I get mine through Game Banana or tf2maps. Which I pay to get made if they are custom of course.

I have also discovered how you got the Custom Bosses and I imagine that you will be defriended from that person very soon if not already.

"You paid someone to do some things that you did not know how to do, that does not make you legal owner."
Ha. I would like to see you discuss this with Apple Corporation.

You are the one that has embarrassed yourself by replying with such asinine comments and assumptions.
API
Veteran Member
Old 05-22-2013 , 12:11   Re: Beware of the Thief!
Reply With Quote #14

I think that we need to respect paid works regardless of the license. It takes time and effort and quite obviously money to commission such works, and if you are aware that someone has paid for the works you should quite simply respect that fact. Even if the material or model is a reproduction of copyrighted works; it has nothing to do with the legal aspects and everything to do with the respect.
Veteran Member
Old 05-22-2013 , 12:50   Re: Beware of the Thief!
Reply With Quote #15

OK I have had about enough of this. Just because Aggamemnon post something does not mean it is true.

Want proof?? ok here you go! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=146968616

There is no clan tag on the donut. So, he has posted false accusations and his "proof" is disproved! He does not own this model and neither do I! I have just as much right to run this as he does. I dont know if he is just dense, or literally has a learning disability, or what. But he is clearly breaking the rules here at this site and has posted false claims against me.

A little free lesson for you Aggamemnon, if your friend saw your clan name on the model, it is because he or she already had the material with the same name before he/she joined my server. Since I run "sv_pure 0", I allow materials with a different checksum, so he saw your clan name on the texture because he got the texture with the same name from your server and had it before he joined mine!
You do NOT own this model and I will thank you to stop spreading lies about me! rolling eyes at his diatribe

Last edited by BBG_Theory; 05-22-2013 at 15:14. Reason: typo in spelling
Aggamemnon
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-22-2013 , 20:58   Re: Beware of the Thief!
Reply With Quote #16

So how does that explain the other 2 Custom Models?

They were also seen there.

I am speaking to someone now who is telling me how easy it is to re texture these bosses..

He has also told me that he has seen certain server owners going on to other people's servers and doing this. I have also been informed that you were advised to remove them.

Anyway I have had enough of this. A very exceptional Coder is going to create something for me to prevent this in future.
Sreaper
髪を用心
Old 05-22-2013 , 21:21   Re: Beware of the Thief!
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:

I am speaking to someone now who is telling me how easy it is to re texture these bosses..

He has also told me that he has seen certain server owners going on to other people's servers and doing this. I have also been informed that you were advised to remove them.

Anyway I have had enough of this. A very exceptional Coder is going to create something for me to prevent this in future.
There is absolutely nothing your coder can do to protect models that need to be downloaded to clients.
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-22-2013 , 21:28   Re: Beware of the Thief!
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:

If I can download the model from your servers or anyones servers, I can take them from my downloads director, edit the textures(if i want) and I can upload them to my server/fastdl and make a config for them. Same goes for sounds in the downloads folder, I can use those as well. The only effective way of stopping people from using your boss models and sounds would be to lock the server, ban everybody that joins except a certain number of people, or don't upload them at all.
BBG_Theory
Veteran Member
Old 05-22-2013 , 21:58   Re: Beware of the Thief!
Reply With Quote #19

I have already told you I have not ever been on your server.

I have not retextured the homer boss

Asherkin has informed you that you are wrong
Quote:
, and thus it's impossible to steal a model from another server.
Psychonic has informed you that you are wrong
Quote:
You then complain that someone stole "your" model? after as was noted by others, putting it up for download in a game which is obscenely common for people to use content without care for ownership, like yourself?

I have proven your post number 3 is totally false and all you can do is post more allegations that has no factual basis, and yet you have still not retracted your liable statements, even after being proven your "proof" is non_factual. I have no idea what 2 other bosses you also think you own, but regardless of what you think, I have no intention of discussing this any further with you as it is just as productive as arguing with a wall. I am not going to break this site rules like you have and I am being flooded with things I could say.

Whatever troll posts you continue to make, I refuse to respond to you anymore.

I have not done anything wrong, have not taken anything of yours and have proven it. You have no more right to run any of the bosses than I do or conversely, I have the same right to run what I want to as you do.

With your logic, if you paid someone to convert a song to a different sample rate, you would then own the song.

I have confidence that the average reader will understand your OP is untrue, and hopefully a mod will ban you and/or delete this thread which is in total violations of the rules here, is slanderous and you know it but are too sorry to retract your ignorant claims!
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-22-2013 , 22:21   Re: Beware of the Thief!
Reply With Quote #20

This thread is perfectly fine, just formed from a slightly misinformed perspective (at no fault to Aggamemnon, and almost entirely a 3rd party that hasn't participated in the thread).

If you want to play by that analogy, the more correct one is paying someone to write a song for a theme, them finding an existing song and resampling it, then you finding someone else with the original - which I think we can all agree would be a reason to be miffed.

I'm trashing this thread in order to dually lock it and make it less prominent.

I think everyone should always feel free to make a post if they feel they've been wronged by someone they have purchased work from, as a community it's the only way we can self-moderate paid work, but in this case it's nothing actionable (3rd party use rather than a dispute) and tempers have been running very high throughout.

A reminder that you waive your right to ask for any moderator action when you start breaking the rules yourself, and it just looks silly.