12. How to update
  13. Support/Issues

Introduction Go to top

Related topics:
  1. Why Sublime Text?
  2. Package Control - Syncing
  3. Versioning your Sublime Text configuration
  4. Exporting and sharing Sublime Text configuration
  5. What & how to version control for text editor (Sublime Text) settings on Github
  6. https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/preserving-st3-configuration-in-source-control/23351

Eclipse, Netbeans, the JetBrains IDE's and VisualStudio are very good IDE for their major languages. Offer awesome tools and etc. The problem is, they are good only for the major, so if you want to/need to program on several ones, you will need to setup several different editor if they exist, i.e., there are specific ones for them as Java for Eclipse, C++ for Visual Studio and etc. There are packages to provide some support for other languages on these big IDEs, however they do not offer as much power as their native language ones. So, the proposal is to take on `Advanced Text Editor` which may be easily extended and use it for several/any languages you want to/need to program on. That is what is going to be tried within `Sublime Text`. I am developing `Sublime Text` Settings by versionning control using git. If you just started, you could install my settings at https://github.com/evandrocoan/SublimeTextStudio#installation.

Special Notes Go to top
  1. Created/implemented the auto-versioning system, to see your current version, to go `Preferences -> Browse Packages...` and open the file named `README.MD`.
  2. Be awere about the `Hungry Backspace`, for normal backspace behavior, use `shift+backspace`.
  3. Here you may find the installed packages/plugins and search for what they are doing.
  4. You may press `ctrl+shift+p` and start typing things you like:

TODO Go to top

For now they need some fixes and improvements, see all they here on:
  1. https://github.com/evandrocoan/SublimeTextStudio/issues
  2. https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues
  3. https://github.com/wbond/package_control/issues
  4. https://forum.sublimetext.com/
I just started using `Sublime Text`, until now is almost two months gathering plugins/packages, settings things up. I came to `Sublime Text` due its speed and flexibility. At the beginning, I was just programming on C++, Java SE, then Eclipse, Netbeans, the JetBrains IDE's and VisualStudio were very good to go/use. However, I started programming on more, and more languages each day, then on a midlife crisis point, because I need something fast and powerful to all languages, not just C++/Java. The point is, setting up several IDE's for each language is a nightmare. But finding one `Editor`, and only one `Editor` and setting it up to work with every language I came across it is the best thing to do because, code is code. Does not matter if it is AmxxPawn, SourcePawn, C++, Java, Prolog, HTML, LaTeX, CSS, etc. You will always get used to some set of tools as:
  1. Multi-cursors
  2. Line duplication
  3. Sticky search highlight
  4. Syntax coloring
  5. Autocompletion
  6. Snippet insertion
  7. Shortcuts
  8. Build errors highlight
  9. Symbol navigation
  10. etc.
The need to use and configure several IDE's to do these simple tasks is not worth, because most of them, are not handy to updates/upgrades and clean installs, or even to apply versioning into your settings to use them across several computers. Summarizing, I got tired of setting up several `Editors/Integrated Development Environments` across the years. So, I started using `Notepad++` for a long time. But long after I got tired from its project management, then I started looking out for other as Atom and Komodo. But none of them was good enough as `Sublime Text`. Now for some tasks I still using `Notepad++` because `Sublime Text` just cannot handle them as its `not handy search` box:

`Sublime Text`'s one:

My screen is very large, and that search `Sublime Text` thing on the page's bottom does not help. Is needed something to move around as wanted to, like the `Notepad++` search box. May be can written a C++ program to run/be a Search Box like the `Notepad++`'s one. But for now I am sticking within the others boring things to be fixed as the `DocBlockr` package.

`Notepad++`'s one:

Its build system Go to top

It is pretty handy. This below is a project file where `"path": "."` is the current folder where the file `ProjectName.sublime-project` is. It is used to specify which are the project files to be used for compiling and will show up on the `Sublime Text`'s side bar. The `"build_systems":` is one of the builders to use when building this project. The `file_regex` is the expression which catch the build errors and allow you to double click it and go to the line where it happened. On this project, the file `compile_and_install.bat` is the one used to compile and install, so everything needed to be performed is written on the `windows batch` language. It could be also anything else, as `Shell Scrip`.
Code:
{     "folders":     [         {             "path": "."         },         {             "path": "F:\\SteamCMD\\steamapps\\common\\Half-Life\\czero\\addons\\amxmodx"         }     ],     "build_systems":     [         {             "working_dir": "$project_path/scripting",             // "selector": "source.AmxxPawn, source.AMXX", // comment this to build from everywhere                         "file_regex": "(^[a-zA-Z._-]+)\\(([0-9]+)\\) : (error.*)",             "name": "Build Main file",             "cmd": ["compile_and_install.bat", "1"],                         "target": "ansi_color_build",             "syntax": "Packages/ANSIescape/ANSI.tmLanguage"         }     ] }
Spoiler

Project management Go to top

There is also something wonderful I would like to talk about. It is the `Sublime Text` project management. On this animated gif, I am switching from one project to the other. `Sublime Text` saves everything (Hot Exit), yours current selections, opened files on side bar, whether they are expanded or not, etc. This same behiaor applies when you close `Sublime Text` text. Even if your changes are not saved, they are restored as they were, on the next `Sublime Text` start.
Spoiler

Symbols Navigating Pawn Go to top

By typing `ctrl+r` you may jump between symbols/functions defined on your text. Using the `@` or the `#` to choose symbols.
Spoiler

Multi-Selections Go to top

Another good shortcut is `alt+left_arrow` or `alt+right_arrow` to jump between the last/next cursor position. And using `shift+alt+up_arrow` and `shift+alt+down_arrow` you may create multiple cursors posions on the screen. Most shortcuts are defined on the Default (Windows/Linux).sublime-keymap file at the `User` folder.
Spoiler

Side Bar Navigating Go to top

By typing `ctrl+0` you may navigate between files on the side bar, if enabled.
Spoiler

It is coming! Go to top

I am doing this development and it seens pretty good to me. But there is this symbol jump bug I reported here and some other little things. But they are developing it and fixing bugs, so I expect for the next versions it to became the most powerful Pawn IDE ever. Also the same time you write pawn, you can jump for the AMX Mod X implementation and develop it at the same time.
Spoiler

Changelog Go to top

Spoiler

Download Go to top

With `Sublime Text` I can apply a versioning system as git on them. So everywhere I go, I just need to go to my GitHub webpage, copy the two commands and wait some minutes while all my settings and plugins are installed by `Sublime Text`. Follow this link bellow to get the installation steps. There is also a full video installing the settings. This setup is available for both Windows, Linux and it is untested for Mac OS:
https://github.com/evandrocoan/SublimeTextStudio#installation

You will need to be able to use command line interface within the `git` command available.
If you do know how to use them, see the video tutorial provided there on the installation link just
above. See these links to learn how to setup a command line tool within git on Linux and Windows:
  1. Getting Started - Installing Git
  2. How to use the Window command line (DOS)
  3. Command Prompt - How to use the simple, basic commands
  4. Stupid Geek Tricks: Open an Explorer Window from the Command Prompt’s Current Directory

How to update Go to top

If you already installed it. This bellow (on the spoiler) is animated gif doing it:

Code:
git add --all
git commit -m "my changes"
git pull --rebase
Any problems, post here. There are several problems quick to fix that could happen.

Spoiler

Support/Issues Go to top

For any problem within this installation, you may post here or open a issue on:
  1. Re: Versioned Sublime Text Settings
  2. https://github.com/evandrocoan/SublimeTextStudio/issues
  3. https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues
  4. https://forum.sublimetext.com/

_____________________________________________ _____________________________________________ __________________

Support me on Patreon, Ko-fi, Liberapay or Open Collective

Last edited by addons_zz; 10-01-2016 at 15:29. Reason: added new hotfix v1.0.5-16 changelog
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 09-15-2016 , 21:57   Re: Versioned Sublime Text Settings
Reply With Quote #2

Quotes:
  1. Even better than find in files, is when it is a fuzzy find in files. (but not true, if you know exactly what you want to)
  2. And you really should hate the IDEs, but you cannot live without them. So, that is why you go for the `Advanced Text Editors` to minimize the pain caused because you do not use the IDE. If were to program within a simple text editor, you would to spend much more time to develop things... False. You just need a big brain, the rest does not matter, a simple notepad is more than enough, because a big brain is a big brain, nothing competes with a big brain, unless a brain even bigger.

Last edited by addons_zz; 09-25-2016 at 14:09. Reason: off topic
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 09-25-2016 , 17:19   Re: Versioned Sublime Text Settings
Reply With Quote #3

I updated some things. On the next version, I may probably include natively support @Destro-'s `Sublime AMXX-Editor`.

2016-10-01 | v1.0.5-16
  1. Minor updates/fixes.

2016-09-26 | v1.0.4-11
  1. Fixed the DocBlockr package.
  2. Minor changes.

2016-09-24 | v1.0.0-3
  1. Created/implemented the auto-versioning system, to see your current version, to go `Preferences -> Browse Packages...` and open the file named `README.MD`.
  2. Be awere about the `Hungry Backspace`, for normal backspace behavior, use `shift+backspace`.
  3. Added new package for the theme editing. Configure your colors on `Packages/SublimeNotepadPlusPlusTheme/DefaultStylersTheme.tmTheme`:
    Spoiler

Last edited by addons_zz; 10-01-2016 at 15:31. Reason: added new hotfix v1.0.5-16 changelog
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 01-09-2017 , 18:37   Re: Versioned Sublime Text Settings
Reply With Quote #4

Hi everybody

I am just adding currently Sublime Text is not a bed of roses to use, but it still the best of the best.
  1. The problems with the current beta build 3126 is that is hardly crashing on Windows.
  2. The last build within not the crashing problem is 3114, however that build has another problem, is it is hardly leaking memory. If I enabled all my packages at the this development version `v1.0.1-245`, Sublime Text uses up to 15GB of your RAM's memory. This problem is minimized disabling several packages, but is still leaking a little and over a heavy daily use it can use up to 1GB of RAM's memory.
Currently I just have a few packages enabled, and enabled more of them as I need they services. Let us hope the next Sublime Text builds fix these crashing problems and memory leaks. If not, I already looked for writing a new text editor from scratch. But on the way I found a open source version of Sublime Text. Primarily I did not liked it being written in Go, and Go Lang it does not allow the `Allman Style`, however as Go is a compiled and garbage collected language (freeing us from memory leak), I hope to give it a try.

If you are having crash problems with the latest Sublime Text build 3126, on these links bellow you can download the good Sublime Text 3 Build 3114 for windows/linux 32 bits (x86):
  1. https://download.sublimetext.com/Sublime Text Build 3114.zip
  2. https://download.sublimetext.com/sublime-text_build-3114_i386.deb
  3. https://download.sublimetext.com/sublime_text_3_build_3114_x32.tar.bz2

Last edited by addons_zz; 01-30-2017 at 14:55.