Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Solved TF2 client stuck at "Parsing game info..." for new server

Post New Thread Reply   

nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 06-23-2016 , 11:39   TF2 client stuck at "Parsing game info..." for new server
Reply With Quote #1

Been trying to figure out the cause of this the past couple of days, and I'm stumped.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a new VPS and installed a SRCDS instance. At that point, connecting to it worked. I went back to configuring the game server over this week (after working on setting up other stuff), and around the time I rsync'd my existing server configuration over, I've been unable to connect; TF2 is stuck at "Parsing game info...".

I can connect to my old server (also running Debian Jessie, but on a different configuration and provider) and various other TF2 servers without issue.

Observations which might not be of use:
  • The server configuration was copied to /var/tf.content and -install_search_path /var/tf.content has been added as a command line parameter, and that's the time when things started going poorly. Removing the external sound directory and removing the cache files in .../tf/ seemed to let me connect, but after a bunch of configuring later, it stopped working.
  • At some point after that, I managed to fully connect once for no apparent reason. Did a retry and it went back to hanging.
  • Info queries work, the server has a successful connection to Steam servers and has a public IP.
  • kickid from the server console does end up with a kick message on the client, and cancelling the connection shows up as a disconnect on the server.
  • Ports are open; nothing in iptables. SSH and nginx work fine.
  • Wiped the install directory for a fresh download of SRCDS. The redownload ended up stalling at some points. The node was also temporarily down a bit later due to some sort of detected error.
  • Also tried it without adding /var/tf.content as a search path, without MM:S / SM, and directly running srcds_linux (instead of using the init script that I used on my existing setup).
Ideas? Don't know what to test next.

Edit: If nothing else, I'll do a full reinstall of the server in a couple of days and we'll see how things go from there.
Edit 2: Full reinstall did nothing. Looks like I'll be sending in a ticket and searching for a new provider pretty soon if this doesn't get sorted out.

Last edited by nosoop; 11-18-2016 at 21:02.
DJPlaya
Old 11-18-2016 , 20:03   Re: TF2 client stuck at "Parsing game info..." for new server
Reply With Quote #2

Someone told me that deleting "download\user_custom" would stop connection errors like "steam auth ticket has been canceled" or something similar, give it a try.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 11-18-2016 , 21:02   Re: TF2 client stuck at "Parsing game info..." for new server
Reply With Quote #3

Didn't expect this to come back up.
Anyways, turns out the provider had massive network issues around that time. Shortly after, the VPS was inaccessible for a good month.

Switched to a different host and have had no issues since; the VPS I was using before has been repurposed.

I don't remember the [Solved] prefix being there when I posted this initially; marked it as such now.

Last edited by nosoop; 11-18-2016 at 21:07.