Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]

Post New Thread Reply   

PM
hello, i am pm
Old 04-01-2009 , 12:30   Re: Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]
Reply With Quote #11

Yeah that's why I though the stack might be corrupted but I wouldn't know why either.
Veteran Member
Old 04-02-2009 , 01:11   Re: Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]
Reply With Quote #12

Strangely enough with no changes what so ever, recompiling for around the 20th time it worked fine. Now no problems whatsoever, so im clueless. I appreciate the help though guys, one of those mystery bugs I suppose.
Old 04-02-2009 , 05:53   Re: Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]
Reply With Quote #13

Weird. I remember one crash I couldn't solve, that was gone after a full rebuild of the project (maybe some source file depending on a header has not been recompiled although the header has changed or something -- although I think that shouldn't happen on MSVC).

Well anyway, glad that it's gone. If you should have this problem again, report back; it looks interesting.

BTW: Did it crash in Debug or Release configuration and does it now work fine in the same configuration? I've seen bugs that crash in Release mode but only quietly corrupt data in Debug mode.
Veteran Member
Old 04-02-2009 , 07:00   Re: Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]
Reply With Quote #14

I dont remember exactly but I believe it crashed in both. I still cant run my extension in Debug as I get all sorts of strange errors that dont seem to be present in the Release Build.

Ive had them for as long as I can remember, but they have never prevented me from debugging until recently (I was usually able to just click through with Continue/Ignore a bunch of times to get past it) as a temporary solution, but now I cant get past it.

When compiling I get 12 warnings of...
1>d:\sourcemm\hl2sdk-ob\game\server\player.h(1235) : warning C4541: 'dynamic_cast' used on polymorphic type 'CBaseEntity' with /GR-; unpredictable behavior may result
1>smsdk_ext.cpp

They dont seem to cause a problem though, so I dont mess with them. Im not great with debugging by any means, I dont understand a lot of it so I usually just use it to find why a hook or detour is crashing. However, when I run in debug mode this is what I get now...

[First Error]
http://imagenouch.com/img.php?image=11238669953.PNG

[Second Error]
This is the one I cant click through, no matter how many times I click continue it sticks here.
http://imagenouch.com/img.php?image=21238669953.PNG
Old 04-02-2009 , 08:25   Re: Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]
Reply With Quote #15

The warning means that the SDK uses RTTI (run-time type information) which is disabled ( GR- ). Should not be a problem if you don't use the code in question.

That pictures look like something is wrong though.
Note that the fact that the problem doesn't show in release mode doesn't mean it isn't there, it could just be subtle or only show when the project grows more complex or when you make seemingly unrelated changes.

Specifically, it looks like heap corruption:
In the picture, delete/free fails and asserts (ie. shows that error ). This usually means that the data structures the standard library has to store info about allocated memory are somehow corrupted).
In the second picture, delete/free fails again and asserts, but it crashes while formatting the text to be shown. This doesn't mean anything better.

So it looks like something is writing to memory regions it should not or something is deleting memory that has never been allocated.

I would recommend running a memory debugging tool like valgrind on linux or compiling with mmgr.
Veteran Member
Old 04-02-2009 , 08:54   Re: Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]
Reply With Quote #16

Ah that makes sense. Does that MMGR link work for you? Im getting a corrupted zip file when I download it, and I cant use Linux because im on windows and the extension is currently only built for win. The download link at the developers website is down as well for MMGR.

Appreciate the help
Old 04-02-2009 , 09:04   Re: Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]
Reply With Quote #17

Yeah sorry it looks like that flipCode link is broken.
Try looking here.
Old 04-03-2009 , 04:26   Re: Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]
Reply With Quote #18

valgrind does all the work for you
hello, i am pm
Old 04-03-2009 , 10:38   Re: Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]
Reply With Quote #19

True, valgrind is most excellent if you run linux.
Veteran Member
Old 04-03-2009 , 15:42   Re: Server Crashing [Sourcehook RecallGetIFace]
Reply With Quote #20

Yeah, I wish I could run it, but as my extensions only designed for my own uses, it only works on Windows.

Just out of curiosity, I spent some time with MMGR yesterday and couldnt quite get it to work. It seems a main point is to make sure #include "mmgr.h" is included in each source file AFTER project includes, and before the local includes, which I setup properly. However, im thinking since my local header files have project level includes in them, this is the cause behind my massive error list.

Am I going to have to manually move all project level includes to each source file for this to work?