Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Something keeps deleting .so files from the bin directory

Post New Thread Reply   

SomePanns
Old 03-18-2017 , 12:26   Something keeps deleting .so files from the bin directory
Reply With Quote #1

Since a few days back (I don't know exactly when this started to happen), .so files from the /bin/ directory (outside of the /tf/ directory) keep disappearing, causing my servers to not being able to ever boot. Now I have a backup of these files and replace the missing ones manually, but it's getting tiresome.

This seems to be happen randomly, but I don't know when exactly. Might be on map change. Only a few of my servers have been affected by this so far, but I'm suspecting all of them will be a victim of this soon or later.

I'm running on Ubuntu 14.04. I haven't yet tracked down all the files that are going missing, but one of them are libstdc++.so.6.

Is anyone else experiencing this or is it just me? What could be the cause?

Last edited by SomePanns; 03-18-2017 at 12:26.
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 03-19-2017 , 17:01   Re: Something keeps deleting .so files from the bin directory
Reply With Quote #2

Possibly stupid question...

Is your host doing it?
Old 03-19-2017 , 18:50   Re: Something keeps deleting .so files from the bin directory
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuro Toxin View Post
Possibly stupid question...

Is your host doing it?
Very, very unlikely. But no, they aren't.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 03-24-2017 , 15:00   Re: Something keeps deleting .so files from the bin directory
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomePanns View Post
Very, very unlikely. But no, they aren't.
This answer confuses me. First, you state that it'd be very unlikely they'd do that....then you disregard that previous statement and flat-out say they didn't do it. Which is it?

Also, since I'm assuming you're renting a VPS from a company such as OVH, if you have root access you can check your server's access.log for DELETE entries for the files you are missing. Again, since I'm assuming, I'm also assuming you probably run Apache2 on the VPS. If so, your access.log should be in /var/log/apache2. If not, it would most likely be one directory back in /var/log.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 03-24-2017 at 15:09.
SomePanns
Old 04-14-2017 , 03:10   Re: Something keeps deleting .so files from the bin directory
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
This answer confuses me. First, you state that it'd be very unlikely they'd do that....then you disregard that previous statement and flat-out say they didn't do it. Which is it?

Also, since I'm assuming you're renting a VPS from a company such as OVH, if you have root access you can check your server's access.log for DELETE entries for the files you are missing. Again, since I'm assuming, I'm also assuming you probably run Apache2 on the VPS. If so, your access.log should be in /var/log/apache2. If not, it would most likely be one directory back in /var/log.
So this just happened again to all my servers last night (10) and after checking some logs (I dont have an .access log) like syslog kernel log etc I came across this

PHP Code:
Apr 14 02:51:59 ns397519 kernelgrsecSegmentation fault occurred at            (nilin /home/hightower/srcds_linux[srcds_linux:6131uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0parent /home/hightower/srcds_run[srcds_run:20307uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0
Apr 14 02
:51:59 ns397519 kernelsrcds_linux[6133]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000efd17a81 sp 00000000ff0c7f70 error 6 in engine_srv.so[efb43000+2e2000
Not sure if it is the cause of files disappearing though...
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-14-2017 , 04:45   Re: Something keeps deleting .so files from the bin directory
Reply With Quote #6

Do you have something that tries to update the servers on restart?

My guess is that the crash is causing an updater to kick in, it deletes the files then can't write new ones, then the server fails to start
Old 04-14-2017 , 05:53   Re: Something keeps deleting .so files from the bin directory
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Do you have something that tries to update the servers on restart?

My guess is that the crash is causing an updater to kick in, it deletes the files then can't write new ones, then the server fails to start
Yes. All servers check for update when they start up, and all servers are automatically rebooted every night.