Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Your ES vs SMM benchmark

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Ace Rimmer
Old 06-09-2007 , 12:48   Your ES vs SMM benchmark

http://www.sourcemod.net/bench_es.php

While I appreciate the work you guys do, I have to admit that I am very surprised at the way you are behaving about ES.

Firstly, as uber-intelligent beings that you are, you should be aware that ES and SMM are two completely different tools. ES is much more accessible to someone who doesn't know much about programming and scripting. It is a much simpler language to use. (Note I did not say "More Powerful").

Also your benchmark script that you used to bench ES is very badly written. Not that I could personally write it much better or that I would even want to.

Why not approach Mattie and ask him to write the benchmark script for you? Then you can be sure it would be accurate.

I am sure that on "benchmarking" SMM would probably still beat ES, even if you did get someone who knows how to write ES scripts properly but is that the point?

Do we start a thread on the ES forum with a graph showing how many scripts there are for ES vs How many plugins / scripts there are for SMM? Who do you think would look like a winner then?

I hope you understand what I am saying here. You guys would get a lot further if you thought about working together instead of posting up stuff like that.

It's not a war you're having. It's not even "healthy business competition", since no one actually makes any money out of it all.

Peace out.

My 2P said.

{unsubs from thread}.

Main Web Site-Ace Rimmer-System Information

Last edited by Ace Rimmer; 06-09-2007 at 12:57.
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2007 , 16:57   Re: Your ES vs SMM benchmark

cagemonkey and EX_ManUp re-wrote the scripts in an optimized manner for us and they told us that there was trivial difference.

SMM != SourceMod btw....people get 'em confused too much

SMM == SourceMM == Metamod: Source != SourceMod == SM

And the idea of SourceMod is to provide an easy to use, stable, and powerful scripting API.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
mooman2
Old 06-09-2007 , 16:58   Re: Your ES vs SMM benchmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer View Post

http://www.sourcemod.net/bench_es.php

While I appreciate the work you guys do, I have to admit that I am very surprised at the way you are behaving about ES.

Firstly, as uber-intelligent beings that you are, you should be aware that ES and SMM are two completely different tools. ES is much more accessible to someone who doesn't know much about programming and scripting. It is a much simpler language to use. (Note I did not say "More Powerful").

Also your benchmark script that you used to bench ES is very badly written. Not that I could personally write it much better or that I would even want to.

Why not approach Mattie and ask him to write the benchmark script for you? Then you can be sure it would be accurate.

I am sure that on "benchmarking" SMM would probably still beat ES, even if you did get someone who knows how to write ES scripts properly but is that the point?

Do we start a thread on the ES forum with a graph showing how many scripts there are for ES vs How many plugins / scripts there are for SMM? Who do you think would look like a winner then?

I hope you understand what I am saying here. You guys would get a lot further if you thought about working together instead of posting up stuff like that.

It's not a war you're having. It's not even "healthy business competition", since no one actually makes any money out of it all.

Peace out.

My 2P said.

{unsubs from thread}.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Code:
es_setinfo twx 0 
es_setinfo twy 0 
es_setinfo twz 0 

es_getplayerlocation twx twy twz event_var(userid) 
if (event_var(headshot) equalto 1) then ma_effect 12 A 0 server_var(twx) server_var(twy) server_var(twz) lightning 10 10 32 200 255
What the hell is this crap? I personally like coding in a Pawn. ES is like trying to make a shell script. If you consider it a language- good luck. (I recently just realized that everything you do in a ES .cfg is just sending stuff through the server console.)

Also, I think this is the benchmark script- http://code.eventscripts.com/990
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2007 , 17:01   Re: Your ES vs SMM benchmark

Yup, it was pointed out, mooman, that even variables are stored as console variables in ES, which is honestly a terrible method.

Freelancer
Old 06-09-2007 , 17:03   Re: Your ES vs SMM benchmark

Could nt agree more rimmsey

We know what we are doing with what we are given , what bites is the way you say it....

7 years of playing and running server....and that one page has put me off from using your mod.

I whould rather use something which come with a muture and friendly comminty, well done SMM you just shot you self in the foot

:golfclap:

Last edited by Freelancer; 06-09-2007 at 17:06.
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2007 , 17:05   Re: Your ES vs SMM benchmark

I have no idea what you just said

and SMM != SourceMod

And SourceMod works in Garry's Mod

And I'm usually a friendly guy...usually.

So 7 years of playing and running a server I assume you used amxx at one point...you might as well stop using that...it's the same guys.

And it's not a "hit piece" or "slam piece" as i've seen it called, the article points out performance flaws in eventscripts, and even points out what could be IMPROVED in it. While it does say the SM community does advocate against using ES, it points out that it is the opinion of this community, opinion being a key word.

Now, I bet you the SM community would be happy to support ES, if it was built to better standards (in terms of performance).

Last edited by FlyingMongoose; 06-09-2007 at 17:13.
Freelancer
Old 06-09-2007 , 17:43   Re: Your ES vs SMM benchmark

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpos...85&postcount=8

does what it says on the tin really
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2007 , 18:08   Re: Your ES vs SMM benchmark

The arguments pointed out in the SM vs. ES article also validate the contrary of what matti posted on that thread. Pointed out that performance does matter, while ES is more wide spread it's because there's more existing scripts with it.

The SM vs ES argument can be compared to the following (old) argument as well: Xbox (1) vs. PS2 (not 3), on the xbox's initial release it was/is the more powerful machine than the PS2, but so many people said "well it won't beat the PS2 because ps2 has a larger game library". Last I checked I know more people who own an Xbox or even Xbox 360 than own a PS2

And while mattie himself says EventScripts should only be used for simple functionality in his development process he doesn't take into consideration that it is utilized in a significantly more complex way, and it *should* have significantly more optimization for what people DO use it for. (Have you checked out many GunGame or WC3 servers there are lately?)

He *CAN* optimize it, I'm not questioning mattie's ability, he just refuses to do so.

Also take into consideration the business implications of utilizing SourceMod over EventScripts, as sourcemod requires significantly less processing power, and operates in a significantly faster form, it means less server machine purchases, more game servers per machine, increased stability per game server, and a number of other things. From a business stand-point, the game server providers will make a profit from supporting SourceMod, due to the processing power ES takes up they can't house as many (software) servers per machine, it signifiantly limits the abilities of the server machine.

Lets say you have 5 32 men servers all running gungame, a complex script, typical execution (guestimation) is 5-20 MS, now you have the 32 men source servers all full, each of them tacking on another 5-20 ms per server process on the processor. That's an "ouch" for the server machine. Yes generally servers can handle significantly more than this, but this was an example.

BAILOPAN
Old 06-09-2007 , 18:10   Re: Your ES vs SMM benchmark

We've worked hard to get good performance for SourceMod and we don't think there is anything wrong with showing that off.

If you want to start a discussion on technical aspects, we'd be glad to explain or discuss things (on either the ES or SM side). But please stop flaming us for writing a technical article about our achievements.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 06-09-2007 at 18:12.
BAILOPAN
Old 06-09-2007 , 18:20   Re: Your ES vs SMM benchmark

Also, we'd be glad to take a new benchmark script. E-mail me at [email protected] and we'll re-run the benchmarks. The algorithms cannot be changed.