Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Automatic .Nav Generator

Post New Thread Reply   

captaindeterprimary
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-21-2014 , 22:47   Automatic .Nav Generator
Reply With Quote #1

I got bored and wrote up a nav file generator for use on Windows.

I would not suggest using it on a desktop that is being used. Preferably it should be ran in a VM as to not cause issues with other programs while running.

On first run:
Where ever you place the generate.bat file you will need to place a copy of steamcmd.exe, if you do not have a copy of steamcmd.exe it will open your default browser to Valve's wiki page on steamcmd so you may downloaded directly from Valve. Once steam.exe is placed in same folder as generate.bat press enter (or if you have exited the NavGen console re-run generate.bat) and it will move and install steamcmd for you, after that it ask to download the SRCDS TF2 server that we will use to generate the nav files. Press enter and it will download the server. Once the server is installed it will open the maps folder for you to add your maps to. Once you add all your maps, press enter and it will start making .nav files for the maps you added.

After steamcmd and the srcds server has been added:
The batch file will automatically generate nav files for the maps in your maps folder that do not already have a .nav file.

GitHub
https://github.com/vman315/TF2-NavGenerator
Last edited by ; Today at 08:20 AM. Reason: Get rid of s
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 05-22-2014 , 09:20   Re: Automatic .Nav Generator
Reply With Quote #2

So basically, if you have tf2 srcds installed just throw it in there instead of downloading new files?
This isnt very dynamic in the case that my srcds i never did force_install_dir, so my installs are all over the place.
Still kinda cool though.

Last edited by Mitchell; 05-22-2014 at 09:22.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-22-2014 , 10:18   Re: Automatic .Nav Generator
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman315 View Post
I got bored and wrote up a nav file generator for use on Windows.

I would not suggest using it on a desktop that is being used. Preferably it should be ran in a VM as to not cause issues with other programs while running.

On first run:
Where ever you place the generate.bat file you will need to place a copy of steamcmd.exe, if you do not have a copy of steamcmd.exe it will open your default browser to Valve's wiki page on steamcmd so you may downloaded directly from Valve. Once steam.exe is placed in same folder as generate.bat press enter (or if you have exited the NavGen console re-run generate.bat) and it will move and install steamcmd for you, after that it ask to download the SRCDS TF2 server that we will use to generate the nav files. Press enter and it will download the server. Once the server is installed it will open the maps folder for you to add your maps to. Once you add all your maps, press enter and it will start making .nav files for the maps you added.

After steamcmd and the srcds server has been added:
The batch file will automatically generate nav files for the maps in your maps folder that do not already have a .nav file.

GitHub
https://github.com/vman315/TF2-NavGenerator
For the record, you do know that the TF2 client can generate nav files too?
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-22-2014 , 10:41   Re: Automatic .Nav Generator
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
For the record, you do know that the TF2 client can generate nav files too?
Yes I do, however it is a pain to do as the client does not automatically change to a new map nor does it exclude maps that already have nav files. This is so you can generate nav files for only the maps you want (ie the maps in the .\maps folder in the same directory as the batch script not the .\tf2\tf\maps folder). This is just a way to automate the process. The other bit of pain doing it with the client is the fact it will bog down your machine.
5000MangledCows
Old 09-06-2014 , 19:43   Re: Automatic .Nav Generator
Reply With Quote #5

I would prefer if you could set the tf2 dir separately from the steamcmd folder, then there aren't as many files in one folder (I just prefer to have my folders as easy to navigate as possible, it's not a huge priority I imagine) ex: C:\tf2-server\steamcmd\*all the needed steamcmd files*\ and C:\tf2-server\tf2\

Thx.
captaindeterprimary
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-09-2014 , 10:43   Re: Automatic .Nav Generator
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5000MangledCows View Post
I would prefer if you could set the tf2 dir separately from the steamcmd folder, then there aren't as many files in one folder (I just prefer to have my folders as easy to navigate as possible, it's not a huge priority I imagine) ex: C:\tf2-server\steamcmd\*all the needed steamcmd files*\ and C:\tf2-server\tf2\

Thx.
You can set those by editing the script. I may look into seeing if I can get a dir selection pop up, however this would require a config file as well.
ijam_j
Old 01-06-2016 , 04:28   Re: Automatic .Nav Generator
Reply With Quote #7

Fking brilliant. Will test later and report.

Thanks.