Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Permanent Ban isn't working.

Post New Thread Reply   

Seth Mullett
Old 10-16-2010 , 11:43   Permanent Ban isn't working.
Reply With Quote #1

Yesterday I had some newfag join and he didn't know what the hell he was doing. So I set a Permaban on him and it seems as if it just kicks him. Once again after I banned him he came right back in.

On the other hand my time spand ban works so I banned him for 4 hours.
Also where do perma bans get stored? I found my banned_user.cfg and there is already a steam ID in there. And on last thing, I read that temporary bans only work for that map. True or False?
Any help?
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 10-16-2010 , 12:25   Re: Permanent Ban isn't working.
Reply With Quote #2

You'll likely want to get an external ban managing plugin, such as SourceBans, or any plugin that monitors based on a MySQL/SQLite database, as banned_users.cfg is known for deleting itself / not operating correctly.
Old 10-16-2010 , 12:28   Re: Permanent Ban isn't working.
Reply With Quote #3

so what "ban manager" do you recommend then? Is Sourceban the best?
WhiteBoy
Old 10-16-2010 , 13:36   Re: Permanent Ban isn't working.
Reply With Quote #4

I would highly recommend sourcebans. However some things come in effect.

If you have a dedicated server:
There's not much to worry about. Just install apache, mysql, php (LAMP for Linux, WAMP for Windows) and you're good to go once your sourcemod database file is configured.

If you have a standalone game server:
You're going to need to have a webhost, one that will open the port(s) for your game server(s) on the server your website is hosted on. Afterwards, you're going to need to add the IP of your game server(s) to the MySQL Remote Administration panel to allow it to connect to the database sourcebans will be installed on. And like before, you're good to go once your sourcemod database file is configured.

If you're looking for a dedicated server, I recommend http://www.ubiquityservers.com - 55% off the first month and the deal is not ending tonight as you see it counting down. That coupon has been available for about a year now.
Seth Mullett
Old 10-16-2010 , 13:48   Re: Permanent Ban isn't working.
Reply With Quote #5

I have a spare computer right next to mine that I run my server from sooo I take it it's a stand alone?
L33t_Of_Lag
Old 10-16-2010 , 18:46   Re: Permanent Ban isn't working.
Reply With Quote #6

highly recommend sourcebans,

Been using it for a year now. I run it through wamp on a server box in my garage. all functions are lovely, and the ease of it makes it a winner.

http://www.fgcgaming.com
Send a message via MSN to L33t_Of_Lag
Seth Mullett
Old 10-17-2010 , 10:30   Re: Permanent Ban isn't working.
Reply With Quote #7

What I found out about regular sourcemod bans is that the permaban gets added to the banned_user.cfg after I ban someone. The only problem is they are still allowed to join until I restart the server.

I added a few commands so the server executes the banned_user.cfg when it starts to make sure. So is there any possible way to have a command reload the server.cfg?

I was looking at sourcebans and cannot figure out how to use it. Let alone in stall the damn thing.
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 10-17-2010 , 11:39   Re: Permanent Ban isn't working.
Reply With Quote #8

Seth, SourceBans stores all of its bans into a MySQL database. It issues perma bans to the banned_user.cfg to prevent players from spam connecting (if memory serves me right). If the file is deleted and the player tries to rejoin, it will rekick/reban accordingly. It is, however, a bit of a bitch to install.
Old 10-17-2010 , 15:45   Re: Permanent Ban isn't working.
Reply With Quote #9

Yes I noticed that when trying to install it (near impossible). So I just decided to live with the sourcemod ban menu. Like I stated before, is there anyways to have the server.cfg file reloaded when I want it to other than restarting the whole server?
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 10-17-2010 , 20:39   Re: Permanent Ban isn't working.
Reply With Quote #10

exec server.cfg in console?