New API and Syntax

Post New Thread Reply   

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-07-2014 , 15:41   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
Pawn's tag comparison assumes left -> right coercion, so some things are a bit wonky. I bet if you change the order of the compare it'll work. Anyway, sounds like a valid bug, but there is now a null keyword that replaces INVALID_HANDLE that is a much nicer choice.
Useful to know. I'll have to change INVALID_HANDLE to that when I go back to replace CloseHandle with delete ('cause I forgot to do that on my first pass through mapchooser).
Veteran Member
Old 11-07-2014 , 17:41   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #152

Quote:
// Before:
public OnReceivedString(const String:name[], Float:fval);

// After:
public void OnReceivedString(const char[] name, float fval);

// Before:
new HandlelayerHandles[MAXPLAYERS + 1];

// After:
Handle PlayerHandles[MAXPLAYERS + 1];
I see you changed "Float" to "float", will you change "Handle" to "handle" ? Cause I see Handle in this post and it would be nice to have everything the same way.
BAILOPAN
Old 11-08-2014 , 05:57   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #153

Handles will probably stay uppercase... if anything, I'm sure there is code out there that declares `Handle handle;` and it would break once we merge the type and symbol namespaces together.

The lowercase stuff is intended for core builtin types.
Old 11-08-2014 , 17:35   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #154

Hi All - I have some breaking changes to the transitional syntax. These should be the final breaking changes.

The position of brackets on a new-style declaration is now very important. When brackets occur after the name, they now indicate a fixed-length array, and require either an array initializer or constant sizes specified in every dimension.

If the brackets are before the name (between the name and type), they now specify an indeterminate/dynamic array - no fixed size may be specified, and an array initializer is not allowed (though that last restriction may change).

Finally, sizeof on an indeterminate array is now an error instead of a warning.

What does this mean? Here are some examples to show all the common transformations:
Code:
stock GetProperty(const String:name[], String:buffer[]) {   const String:PROP_PREFIX[] = "prop";   new new_name_size = sizeof(PROP_PREFIX) + strlen(name) + 1;   new String:new_name[new_buffer_size];   Format(new_name, new_name_size, "%s_%s", PROP_PREFIX, name);   ... }

In new-style syntax, this will now look like:
Code:
void GetProperty(const char[] name, char[] buffer) {   const char PROP_PREFIX[] = "prop";     int new_name_size = sizeof(PROP_PREFIX) + strlen(name) + 1;   char[] new_name = new char[new_name_size];   Format(new_name, new_name_size, "%s_%s", PROP_PREFIX, name); }

The major takeaway: brackets-after-name, must be fixed size; brackets-before-name, must be dynamic size. Code that specifies new-style arrays with trailing brackets, but no size, or a dynamic size, will no longer compile.

Full documentation and rationale here: https://wiki.alliedmods.net/SourcePa..._Syntax#Arrays

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 11-08-2014 at 17:37.
ElooKoN
        ^_^
Old 11-11-2014 , 02:01   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #155

Quote:
It's verboten [...]
You speak german!

I like the syntax of SourcePawn because I primarily use C++, Python and PHP, so it is a way of variety for me. Nonetheless I think your changes are great.

So I want to say thank you to you and the team for this awesome work!
KissLick
Veteran Member
Old 11-11-2014 , 15:21   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #156

I know it's kind of offtopic... But, will you add something like Socket or cURL & Hash to the new API?
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 11-11-2014 , 15:38   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #157

some one should make a wrapper for SMLib

on that note (might have missed this)
making stock functions to be used, but not pulled into the main file using #include, is it possible with a methodmap?
I do see https://wiki.alliedmods.net/SourcePa...ax#Inheritance

I'll start playing with this

Last edited by Mitchell; 11-11-2014 at 15:42.
BAILOPAN
Old 11-11-2014 , 20:59   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #158

@ElooKoN Glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissLick View Post
I know it's kind of offtopic... But, will you add something like Socket or cURL & Hash to the new API?
I've got a replacement for sockets in the works in my personal GitHub, but I'm a little nervous about ramming it into SM. Maybe it'll make it for 1.8 or 1.9. Here's a sketch of what the low-level API looks like: http://users.alliedmods.net/~dvander/amio.inc

@Mitchell Sorry, I don't fully understand the question. If you mean that methodmaps help with namespacing - yeah, that's definitely true. You can simulate namespaces and static classes with them.
Veteran Member
Old 11-12-2014 , 18:29   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #159

Would be really really appreciated to have a stable socket official sourcemod support.
KissLick
Veteran Member
Old 11-13-2014 , 09:34   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Rabbit View Post
Would be really really appreciated to have a stable socket official sourcemod support.
Yeah, I second that motion.