Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[REQ] L4D modified character select plugin

Post New Thread Reply   

The 5th Survivor
Old 11-01-2012 , 16:26   [REQ] L4D modified character select plugin
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

We would like to have custom skins on our servers and I have an idea. I've already tested loading models and it works, but I'd like the existing plugin we use to be extended a bit more (paginated panels, and let you specify certain fields such as a path to read certain files). I can explain in further details for anyone that's willing to tackle this modified plugin. I can also compensate you for your time. Post here or PM me if you can help.

Thanks
The 5th Survivor
Old 11-02-2012 , 21:30   Re: [REQ] L4D modified character select plugin
Reply With Quote #2

Oh and before anyone says custom models won't work online, they do work as long as anyone that is connected also has them installed and the server precaches them. I toyed round with the existing characters select plugin and can only get 10 models to show up on the menu, that's one of the reason why we need the paginated panels. But they do work online.
Skyy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-10-2012 , 00:28   Re: [REQ] L4D modified character select plugin
Reply With Quote #3

it's easy to allow people to define their own path... just read the argument and if a valid path, set the model. Hell, do it without a menu and just have them type !model <name> and set the name = to a certain path.
The 5th Survivor
Old 12-12-2012 , 09:57   Re: [REQ] L4D modified character select plugin
Reply With Quote #4

The thing is we have a lot of models and no one is going to remember the names of every single one of them. So a menu would help tons. For example, you enter the chat command, then get a list of names of Characters, then choose a character and get a list of all the models available for that character. Something like this:

!model (chat command entered opens character list)
1. Bill (character chosen, then opens available model list for this character)
7. Bill custom 7 (model chosen and swapped in game)
The 5th Survivor
Old 12-22-2012 , 13:11   Re: [REQ] L4D modified character select plugin
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyy View Post
Regards to your plugin request, as I wrote to you above, you can simply edit the exiting CSM code and modify it so players can type in their own model name, which you would have linked to an actual path. You could make it in a menu, too, but letting them type the command just means they can switch at any time more easily. Just store the triggers and their paths in a key file and you're set.
I would love to do this myself and even post the plugin for all those that want to do something similar, but I am no coder. That's why I offered to compensate (financially) for a coders time to make it for me. I looked at the CSM code and that looks way out of my league.

Last edited by The 5th Survivor; 12-22-2012 at 13:18.
Skyy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-22-2012 , 13:18   Re: [REQ] L4D modified character select plugin
Reply With Quote #6

5th Survivor,

You can set it so users say a command like !models and it'll list out to them whether in chat or in console a list of the models they can choose from. If they then say !models <name> it sets that model for them. A key file is a really easy way to go about this, or you can hard code the model list. I'm going to gamble that there hasn't really been much interest in doing this since the request was posted nearly two months a go, so it might be worth it to sit down and learn how to do it.

It's a lot easier to do this than you may think, and to be honest, CSM does a lot of the work for you. Almost all of the work if you just want to hard-code into the menus. You can essentially copy the exact code structure and just change / add new models and model paths into the code. It would probably take five to ten minutes of reading it to see what you need to do, and might be worth looking in to. On the plus side, you'd come out of it at least learning a little about scripting, and it's great to be able to do it, so when you want new features you do not have to hope someone will be interested.

If you have questions on how to go about it, let us know and we'll help you get started.
The 5th Survivor
Old 12-28-2012 , 09:08   Re: [REQ] L4D modified character select plugin
Reply With Quote #7

I supposed I'll have a look at the csm code but I dunno how that's going to go, lol.

Thanks.