Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Client Protection Module

Post New Thread Reply   

The 5th Survivor
Old 09-25-2012 , 11:07   Client Protection Module
Reply With Quote #1

Hi, I was looking over all the SMAC modules to see which ones I should install, and this one in particular caught my attention as I'm not completely sure of a couple of things.

One, how can a client spam connection wise? It usually takes me about 25-40 seconds to connect to a server. How can that be spammed, using a third party plugin or what? I haven't encountered anyone doing this, but I just don't see why anyone would want to spam in this manner.

And two, in reference to invalid names and invalid text characters, does this mean a client can't have unicode characters in their name? If so, I don't see how that can harm a server. If not, what is an invalid name and invalid text character and how can that possibly harm a server? I don't see the connection.

Can someone please clarify those two? Thanks
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 09-25-2012 , 13:55   Re: Client Protection Module
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 5th Survivor View Post
One, how can a client spam connection wise? It usually takes me about 25-40 seconds to connect to a server. How can that be spammed, using a third party plugin or what?
If being done maliciously, then it's usually with a third-party program to exploit the server in one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 5th Survivor View Post
And two, in reference to invalid names and invalid text characters, does this mean a client can't have unicode characters in their name?
Unicode characters are allowed. SMAC simply maintains a blacklist of characters that are not allowed to be used in names. Some characters allow users to have a blank name, clone another client's name, or sometimes lag the server / crash clients.
Old 10-03-2012 , 18:27   Re: Client Protection Module
Reply With Quote #3

I see. Thanks for the info.

Oh, and it's really nuts one can do such damage with just a name.
pubhero
Veteran Member
Old 08-10-2013 , 02:14   Re: Client Protection Module
Reply With Quote #4

Hi.
The SMAC and the client protection module running on my server. Kick/ban the connect-disconnect spammers and the players with the illegal characters in their names well. But nothing not do with the name change hackers. I use the last version from the SMAC. Last versions from the Metamod and Sourcemod 1.5.0 snapshots. Game CSS.
Code:
8:12:37 Protocol version 24
         Exe version 1807769 (cstrike)
         Exe build: 19:37:16 Jun 18 2013 (5337) (240)

08:13:16 Metamod:Source version 1.10.0-dev
         Build ID: 857:56a79c5617d6-dev
         Loaded As: Valve Server Plugin
         Compiled on: Aug  3 2013
         Plugin interface version: 15:14
         SourceHook version: 5:5
         http://www.metamodsource.net/

08:13:37  SourceMod Version Information:
             SourceMod Version: 1.5.0-dev+3877
             SourcePawn Engine: SourcePawn 1.1, jit-x86 (build 1.5.0-dev+3877)
             SourcePawn API: v1 = 4, v2 = 4
             Compiled on: Aug  5 2013 10:25:38
             Build ID: 3877:85ab61768bb0
             http://www.sourcemod.net/

28 "SourceMod Anti-Cheat" (0.8.4.0) by SMAC Development Team
66 "SMAC Client Protection" (0.8.4.0) by SMAC Development Team

Last edited by pubhero; 08-10-2013 at 02:19.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 08-10-2013 , 17:41   Re: Client Protection Module
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubhero View Post
The SMAC and the client protection module running on my server. Kick/ban the connect-disconnect spammers and the players with the illegal characters in their names well. But nothing not do with the name change hackers.
By "name change hackers", do you mean players that are rapidly changing their name, or attempting to copy other players' names? Do you have server logs of players doing this?

Last edited by GoD-Tony; 08-10-2013 at 17:42.
pubhero
Veteran Member
Old 08-11-2013 , 01:15   Re: Client Protection Module
Reply With Quote #6

Hi Tony.
I mean, he repeatedly change his name and he stole the names of others. He was used rage aimbot too. The SMAC do nothing. All SMAC module was running on the server. Other cheaters gets bans in a row in that day. I not saw this idiot, but other players say me, his screen shakes well when he shooting. He shoot only headshots. 30 sequentially. We have a "last line of the defense" plugin on the server, against these losers. If they killing too many players in too short time. That plugin is finally banned this idiot. Unfortunately I do not have demo of the incident. Screenlog? Maybe, but not in the debug mode. Why? Maybe that screenlog helps for you, somehow? If yes, i will searching this log. Any chance to the SMAC team integrate new, out - switchable functions in the next version? If someone want to using these new functions, then he use. If not, then not. That's all. But I believe that these new features will help when the SMAC meet new, non-detectable aimbots. HS limiter (for example: x headshots in a row = BAN for y seconds) , Kill limiter (example: If someone kills the enemy players z%, 3 consecutive round = BAN for y minutes ), etc. And please not say to me, this is a stupid idea. I have online game servers for 6 years. If someone kill all victims only with headshots in a row, more than 15x, he is a cheater (90%) or a LAN CUP hero (10%). If he are a cheater, then nobody not want to play with him. Or if he are a LAN CUP hero, then nobody not want to play with him, on a public server. In my opinion. I have only public game servers. Thank you for reading this and please forgive me for my English. I hope you could understand what i wanted to say.
a part from our screelog

See the anomaly with the copyed names. Same names but you see the special character in the hacker name?
He shot 33 hs in a row. He changed names 20 times in a row.
Finally our other plugin ban that loser, who banning the player if he kill too many players in a too less time (kbans).

Last edited by pubhero; 08-11-2013 at 02:31.
Ade
I love purple
Old 08-20-2013 , 09:18   Re: Client Protection Module
Reply With Quote #7

Hi there, I have a question.
A guy that i THOUGHT i banned for a year (after calculating minutes in 1 year with the help of dear google) turned out on my server today but not before triggering this:
Quote:
L 08/20/2013 - 14:17:57: [smac_client.smx | 0.8.4.0] »S̙̽k͓̔« ғᴀʟᴄᴏɴ (ID: Unknown | IP: 2.4.15.132) was temporarily banned for connection spam.
he said he has no idea how he triggered this today, he only tried connecting in other days 2 times per day, that's it......

what is going on?

EDIT: apparently he is still banned on 2 of my other servers that i remember banning him on..

Last edited by Ade; 08-20-2013 at 09:25.
moxie2020
Veteran Member
Old 12-15-2013 , 16:10   Re: Client Protection Module
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
If being done maliciously, then it's usually with a third-party program to exploit the server in one way or another.

Unicode characters are allowed. SMAC simply maintains a blacklist of characters that are not allowed to be used in names. Some characters allow users to have a blank name, clone another client's name, or sometimes lag the server / crash clients.
Are the blacklist characters just certain unicode characters? I have several complaints people think I am trying to make them only use plain names but I don't know what to tell them to avoid.
SystematicMania
Old 12-15-2013 , 23:38   Re: Client Protection Module
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie2020 View Post
I don't know what to tell them to avoid.
Anything which classifies as:
  1. zero-width space
  2. whitespace character
  3. combining character