Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Missing map on srcds server v2

Post New Thread Reply   

Polartop
Old 04-27-2012 , 15:47   Missing map on srcds server v2
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, I had a problem with my sv_download url a few months ago. I never found a solution. 2 out of every 3 people can't connect to my srcds server. bzip is on my fast dl everything is set to what it should be (max sizes and all) My file hosting is free (000webhost) Internet is extremely fast. map isn't over the limit, All ports are opened, So whats my problem? Alot of people have to download it from gambanana and i lost alot of potential players that way. Please help!
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 04-27-2012 , 16:23   Re: Missing map on srcds server v2
Reply With Quote #2

free web host...
Polartop
Old 04-29-2012 , 13:41   Re: Missing map on srcds server v2
Reply With Quote #3

.. that matters how?
TheAvengers2
BANNED
Old 04-29-2012 , 13:56   Re: Missing map on srcds server v2
Reply With Quote #4

Many free webhosts don't allow direct linking. 000webhost's ToS prohibit using their service as a file dump/download site and this is exactly what you're doing. These hosts generally employ a variety of tactics to discourage and block the use of them in this way. A common method is to block all direct linking to files when there isn't a referrer address. If there is a referrer address, then they check to see whether the request came from a website hosted on their servers, and if not they return an error. The downloads are failing because 000webhost is one such company that does that. It isn't hard to bypass their protection mechanisms. However, even if you do bypass it, they periodically sort by file size and check bandwidth consumption per file per account, etc. It's only a matter of time until their software detects the odd behavior of your website and alerts them to terminating it. Either pay for a paid plan with them or look elsewhere. Additionally, there's many free fastdl servers out there. If you simply google "free fastdl" then you'll see that. Your servers aren't going to get anywhere unless you have a reliable and fast fastdl server. This isn't going to happen when you're trying to rip off some webhost company. They'll eventually terminate your account and no one will be able to join your servers until a new functional fastdl is put up. Either go with a reliable free fastdl service which is hosted by some kind soul or open up your wallet and pay for one.

Last edited by TheAvengers2; 04-29-2012 at 16:04.
ReFlexPoison
☠☠☠
Old 04-29-2012 , 14:34   Re: Missing map on srcds server v2
Reply With Quote #5

When I first purchased my fast download server (GoDaddy), it wouldn't allow direct downloads via URL. What I'm getting at is you may have to configure web.config file in your FTP server. It is hard to explain however when I did so it let me download via direct link.

Maybe you are experiencing a similar problem like I did.

But, I also do suggest buying file hosting/web hosting over free hosting.