Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

"Corrupted client" needs to be explained

Post New Thread Reply   

GAVVVR
Old 03-23-2014 , 20:25   "Corrupted client" needs to be explained
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, hl2dm servers use smac-cvars on competive servers to limit some cvars and some people have mistakes in their cfg, so they get kicked with message "corrupted client". But players can't understand what is the problem, SMAC does not say which CVAR returns weird value.
I will give you example:
Quote:
L 03/15/2014 - 19:09:09: [smac_cvars.smx | 0.8.5.1] Ramzy (ID: STEAM_0:10548104 | IP: 194.247.190.47) was kicked for returning a corrupted value on rate (rate), value set at "100000" cl_cmdrate "66" cl_updaterate "66" cl_interp "0.033380" cl_interp_ratio "1" cl_smooth "1" cl_smoothtime "0.1" (expected "80000").
As you can see this players had troubles with quotes in cfg and has a long strin in his "rate" convar. Smac gets the reply from client and can't compare it to allowed bounds and kick client saying "Cleint corrupted". People start to reinstall steam and the game, they do not understand what is wrong.
I suggest to SMAC developrs to improve the message player gets explaining which cvar has trouble.
Now only admins in logs can see what is wrong ;(
Ade
I love purple
Old 03-24-2014 , 04:01   Re: "Corrupted client" needs to be explained
Reply With Quote #2

i can read rate was 100000 instead of 80000
Old 03-24-2014 , 06:23   Re: "Corrupted client" needs to be explained
Reply With Quote #3

...remove check of these client convars:
rate
cl_updaterate
cl_cmdrate

and use server convars to limit players rates:
sv_minrate 80000
sv_maxrate 80000
sv_minupdaterate 66
sv_maxupdaterate 66
sv_mincmdrate 66
sv_maxcmdrate 66

And why not check client rate convars ?
Because server cvars can restrict player rates, players can't set lower (or higher) rates what server have set up.
You need follow net_graph current update/cmd rates to see it.
And typing client convar in your own game console without value you see decription of restriction.

And player client side rate convars (cl_*) can have any value what they like, server plugins can read those however but there is no use of them.
Players can check server current rate restriction by they self, typing in they console

Code:
sv_minrate; sv_maxrate; sv_minupdaterate; sv_maxupdaterate; sv_mincmdrate; sv_maxcmdrate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rate.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	131849   Click image for larger version

Name:	rate1.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	131850  
Ade
I love purple
Old 03-24-2014 , 07:49   Re: "Corrupted client" needs to be explained
Reply With Quote #4

haha thats how it used to be but for SOME reason SOMEONE decided to force em in this idiotic way
Old 03-24-2014 , 14:16   Re: "Corrupted client" needs to be explained
Reply With Quote #5

Ade, rate was set to this whole string (look closely):
Quote:
"100000" cl_cmdrate "66" cl_updaterate "66" cl_interp "0.033380" cl_interp_ratio "1" cl_smooth "1" cl_smoothtime "0.1"
Some players have a mess with quotes in their cfg. Maybe i gave not the best example, but here is another one: Shogo had cl_cmdrate "66"", for example and could not understand what is wrong (hope you see double quote after 66).

Bacardi you are right in theory, but ability to set cl_updaterate to 9000 value is good example showing sv_maxupdaterate does not work. You may say the game can not send 9000 packets anyway which is true, but in hl2dm world it makes your shotgun stronger for some reason and your interp approaches to zero even though sv_client_min_interp_ratio is set to 1.
If you are interested, here is more detailed explanation.

Rates is not subject of this topic. I wanted to suggest good improvement, but you say nothing about suggestion
Ade
I love purple
Old 03-25-2014 , 10:57   Re: "Corrupted client" needs to be explained
Reply With Quote #6

it doesnt reach 0, that's fake lerp as 0.1 but the server sees its true value, 15.1, so I really don't see where the problem lies if you use sv_maxupdaterate; even if you check your update rate in console it will say: it's x but server has temporarily restricted it to y

and i cba to read 6 pages, and i dont think im the only 1
and LOL at stronger shotgun, i doubt this makes my shotgun any stronger than it has been, now, before these rates, before even ob update...
Old 03-25-2014 , 13:48   Re: "Corrupted client" needs to be explained
Reply With Quote #7

Oh God, wrong forum (or at least thread), Ade, to discuss "rates".

Once again, the main idea is: "Corrupted client"-message should be explained to players so they knew what is wrong with their cfg.
Ade
I love purple
Old 03-25-2014 , 14:44   Re: "Corrupted client" needs to be explained
Reply With Quote #8

Oh God, I feel Bacardi and I read ur main post as a variation of the XY problem and replied accordingly

and i can read both ur examples just fine: name of the rate command, followed by the value of it, regardless of the number of quotes... gl finding a solution to any or both of your problems