Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6

Post New Thread Reply   

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-04-2014 , 09:19   Re: [TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy Lebeau View Post
Sorry to bump - but my server is currently experiencing this. ALL players are being kicked off simultaneously with that same error (STEAMAUTH: Client <clientname> received failure code 6).

Doesn't seem likely to be related to a plugin to me... It's started randomly this evening and is happening at seemingly random intervals between 2-15 minutes. Anyone got further ideas? It seems to me to be an issue somewhere in valve's backend stuff...
From what I recall, failure code 6 usually means they (or the server?) lost connection to Steam. So, it could indeed be a problem in Valve's backend.
Veteran Member
Old 09-05-2014 , 07:08   Re: [TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6
Reply With Quote #12

If your machine does not have enough bandwidth or cpu (like something hangs your server) say some physics entities are causing a ton of network overhead, it can hang the server and cause this also. Do a large amount of clients crash at once? Are they all on the same area of the map? Are the all in the same geographic region?
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-05-2014 , 07:58   Re: [TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
From what I recall, failure code 6 usually means they (or the server?) lost connection to Steam. So, it could indeed be a problem in Valve's backend.
6 means the ticket was cancelled, which means the client crashed and restarted the game before they timed out on the server.
Old 10-29-2014 , 22:05   Re: [TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6
Reply With Quote #14

So now it's my turn to bump this. Within a span of maybe 45 minutes, everybody on our Halloween server (running Doomsday event) was kicked 3 times with this error. Sourcemod was NOT enabled. This isn't the only time it's happened, either.

@asherkin: What do you mean by "restarted the game"? People are just reporting that the timeout countdown appeared and they eventually got disconnected after the timeout period ended (hence swamping me with "THE SERVER CRASHED" Steam messages).
SourceMod Developer
Old 10-29-2014 , 22:09   Re: [TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wliu View Post
So now it's my turn to bump this. Within a span of maybe 45 minutes, everybody on our Halloween server (running Doomsday event) was kicked 3 times with this error. Sourcemod was NOT enabled. This isn't the only time it's happened, either.

@asherkin: What do you mean by "restarted the game"? People are just reporting that the timeout countdown appeared and they eventually got disconnected after the timeout period ended (hence swamping me with "THE SERVER CRASHED" Steam messages).
You're probably getting server crashes as well, see the other threads for this update.

This error in particular is caused by a player restarting the game before the server realises they're gone (either through a regular disconnect or by timing out), the only way that can realistically happen is if the game client crashes.
Old 10-30-2014 , 15:55   Re: [TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6
Reply With Quote #16

I got a few crash cycles once I updated, but after I disabled Metamod/Sourcemod, there were no crashes...
Old 07-13-2015 , 15:15   Re: [TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6
Reply With Quote #17

I had the same problem here and I cant fix it, the problem is on hosting, Widnows version.
KALASH NICOLE
Old 05-24-2019 , 16:56   Re: [TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6
Reply With Quote #18

anyone ever fixed this issue ?

Last edited by KALASH NICOLE; 06-15-2019 at 15:05.
foon
Old 05-21-2020 , 22:41   Re: [TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6
Reply With Quote #19

sorry for the necro but i am having this problem also (on linux if that makes a difference), every map change 1-3 people drop off due to auth issues (on bad days it can be 10+ at a time). checking the logs, we never drop connection to steam (or it doesnt say so in the logs)
edit, i should state that i have tested this with sourcemod and without sourcemond installed and it happens with or without

Last edited by foon; 05-21-2020 at 22:43.
DarkPyro
Old 10-22-2020 , 16:34   Re: [TF2]STEAMAUTH: Client 'name of user' received failure code 6
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by foon View Post
sorry for the necro but i am having this problem also (on linux if that makes a difference), every map change 1-3 people drop off due to auth issues (on bad days it can be 10+ at a time). checking the logs, we never drop connection to steam (or it doesnt say so in the logs)
edit, i should state that i have tested this with sourcemod and without sourcemond installed and it happens with or without
Sorry for the bump, but by any chance, are you using this in your server's start command line?

Code:
+sv_setsteamaccount <your token here>
I've seen a lot of complaints recently about this error code 6 where the whole server crashes to desktop on Garry's Mod, which just recently made it mandatory to have this in the server's start command line. I have a suspicion that this could be connected to it, but I'm not sure. Garry's Mod did not have this issue previously, which is the reason for my suspicion. Ever since they made this change mandatory with Garry's Mod, I've started using GSLTs on all my gameservers, but this error code is particularly effecting my 24/7 map servers. Please do let me know more!