Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

FF2 (Help) How do I compile a model with custom textures?

Post New Thread Reply   

LordHotPocketHomicide
Old 04-23-2018 , 21:49   (Help) How do I compile a model with custom textures?
Reply With Quote #1

As the title states, I'm looking for help compiling a model with custom textures already applied, so I can view it in HLMV with said textures. Here's a quick run-down of what I've done so far:

1. I extracted and modified the VTFs as I wished, and then I converted them back to VTF files.
2. To confirm they would work in-game, I tested them as just a basic TF2 mod. They worked perfectly.
3. I then used Mecha Slag's MDL Hexer to set the VTF paths of the textures I wish to replace (soldier_blue and soldier_head) and put the textures in those respective folders.
4. Because I have no way of testing a pre-compiled model in-game (I don't have a test server), I loaded the newly hexed mdl file in HLMV and set the skin to skin 1. My result is as shown below:

And so that's that. I've tried googling solutions, but all I've found are basic tutorials on making basic skin mods; like I said, I'm trying to compile a model (or hex it) with entirely new textures for use in a new Hale, so those guides have been of little use to me. If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated. If needed, I'll supply my QC.

EDIT: I moved the model to download/models/freak_fortress_2/nrcv3 and re-hexed the materials (I also made proper VMTs for them), but now skin1 shows up completely invisible:

In addition, notice how it says nothing about errors loading materials or VMTs. I know this isn't how HLMV handles custom textures either, as I've previewed other custom textures in the program before and they loaded fine. Either way, I know I'm making progress, but some extra help would still be appreciated.

FINAL EDIT: I found the solution, turns out I was using a wrong-ish setup for my VMT. I was using a basic lightmappedgeneric, but I had to use a vertexlitgeneric with a bunch of other things. In the end, this is what worked for me:

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
"$basetexture" "models/freak_fortress_2/nrcvxl2/soldier_blue"
"$bumpmap" "models/freak_fortress_2/nrcvxl2/soldier_blue"
"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1
"$envmapcontrast" 1
"$model" 1
"$selfillum" 1
}

I'll be keeping this thread up in case anyone else has a similar problem and needs the fix, sorry if it seems like spam.
Professional retard. I might borrow some code, but I always try to give credit when I do! If you've noticed I've borrowed some of your code, and you have a problem with that, please add me on Steam and let me know so I can correct the problem as soon as possible!

Last edited by LordHotPocketHomicide; 04-23-2018 at 22:46.
JuegosPablo
Veteran Member
Old 04-24-2018 , 02:08   Re: (Help) How do I compile a model with custom textures?
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHotPocketHomicide View Post
As the title states, I'm looking for help compiling a model with custom textures already applied, so I can view it in HLMV with said textures. Here's a quick run-down of what I've done so far:

1. I extracted and modified the VTFs as I wished, and then I converted them back to VTF files.
2. To confirm they would work in-game, I tested them as just a basic TF2 mod. They worked perfectly.
3. I then used Mecha Slag's MDL Hexer to set the VTF paths of the textures I wish to replace (soldier_blue and soldier_head) and put the textures in those respective folders.
4. Because I have no way of testing a pre-compiled model in-game (I don't have a test server), I loaded the newly hexed mdl file in HLMV and set the skin to skin 1. My result is as shown below:

And so that's that. I've tried googling solutions, but all I've found are basic tutorials on making basic skin mods; like I said, I'm trying to compile a model (or hex it) with entirely new textures for use in a new Hale, so those guides have been of little use to me. If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated. If needed, I'll supply my QC.

EDIT: I moved the model to download/models/freak_fortress_2/nrcv3 and re-hexed the materials (I also made proper VMTs for them), but now skin1 shows up completely invisible:

In addition, notice how it says nothing about errors loading materials or VMTs. I know this isn't how HLMV handles custom textures either, as I've previewed other custom textures in the program before and they loaded fine. Either way, I know I'm making progress, but some extra help would still be appreciated.

FINAL EDIT: I found the solution, turns out I was using a wrong-ish setup for my VMT. I was using a basic lightmappedgeneric, but I had to use a vertexlitgeneric with a bunch of other things. In the end, this is what worked for me:

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
"$basetexture" "models/freak_fortress_2/nrcvxl2/soldier_blue"
"$bumpmap" "models/freak_fortress_2/nrcvxl2/soldier_blue"
"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1
"$envmapcontrast" 1
"$model" 1
"$selfillum" 1
}

I'll be keeping this thread up in case anyone else has a similar problem and needs the fix, sorry if it seems like spam.

Well You set "models/freak_fortress_2/nrcvxl2/soldier_blue" when you need put "freak_fortress_2/nrcvxl2/soldier_blue" but depend where you set the textures

But If need more help ask me on my steam
My Discord: JuegosPablo#0568
JuegosPablo
Veteran Member
Old 04-24-2018 , 02:10   Re: (Help) How do I compile a model with custom textures?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuegosPablo View Post
Well You set "models/freak_fortress_2/nrcvxl2/soldier_blue" when you need put "freak_fortress_2/nrcvxl2/soldier_blue" but depend where you set the textures

but why exactly you remove the original "$bumpmap"

But If need more help ask me on my steam
My Discord: JuegosPablo#0568