Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[L4D2] Dynamically orienting moving NPC player model

Post New Thread Reply   

breeeezy
Old 05-25-2018 , 05:10   [L4D2] Dynamically orienting moving NPC player model
Reply With Quote #1

Video of my Hunter AI in their current state (though too close range to illustrate the issue)

Greetings!

I seek to tightly control the orientation of the Hunter special infected class as it pounces around survivors. The default Hunter AI pounces in straight lines towards survivors, exposing themselves to headshots. To reduce their predictability I have already implemented a Gaussian RNG generator to randomise the vector of each pounce, but I have found as they zig zag towards survivors, Hunters have a frequent tendency to orient themselves midair to face their target. By manually correcting these rotations to follow the angle taken by the randomised pounce vectors, I hope to bring the AI closer to the difficulty of a player controlled Hunter.

The aim of this post is ask whether it would be possible to override default AI behaviour on a frame by frame basis. There is no documentation available on the AI's decision making mechanics to work from, and I lack the expertise to engineer solns with "point_viewcontrol" entities that are utilised in similar threads seeking to adjust NPC camera control. Other threads use TeleportEntity(); I have not been able to make it work either because my lack of understanding of the range of values in an angle vector or because the hunter AI takes priority.

Cheers

Related posts I have researched:
Thrawn2 using "point_viewcontrol" to force clients into a static birds eye view camera
Use of vector math and TeleportEntity()