Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)

Post New Thread Reply   

bazrael
Old 08-02-2014 , 20:41   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #631

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChaos25 View Post
Still working on that, but there are a few problems I can't seem to get over.

The most specific ones being, not all Vocalizations are usable via the vocalization command, meaning my method won't ever replace those.

There's also the (while minor) problem that for some reason, PlayerAskReady and such won't be answered by the bots :/
Does Bill's model work well in L4D2 campaign?
DeathChaos25
Old 08-11-2014 , 21:18   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #632

So, I successfully managed to play as Zoey on my windows server, just not the way anyone would normally expect...

Video

Here's what I did to make this happen...

Spoiler

As we can see, the problem lies, neither, in the m_survivorCharacter netprop, nor on Zoey herself, but rather, on her FPS stuff, her hands...

I can play through the maps just fine without crashes, but since I'm using the L4D1_SURVIVORS team, I get weird treatments...

1) You CAN'T use Radial menus (Read, can't vocalize)
2) You still take damage, but have no Hud, not even with hidehud 0
3) Every living thing ignores you, if you get incapped, gg
4) in the same vein, while SI ignore you, they can still pin you by accident, and if you get vomited, commons will attack you.
5) You become a spectator on every map transition
6) You can heal other survivors, revive them if incapped, inflict Friendly Fire, but not give them pills/adrenaline...
7) In First Person, Zoey's hands are gone, this is what leads me to believe this is the reason for the crash, as any survivor in team 4 has invisible hands in First Person
8) If you fail the map, while everyone teleports to the safe room, you will stay unafected, not teleported, your HP/ammo/equipment remains, etc...
9) Witches ignore you too, if you startle them, they will select a random survivor to chase...
10) You can see the outlines of SI...

Even with all of this, I still had fun with Zoey...

Does this make me a masochist?

XD

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 08-11-2014 at 21:41.
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 08-11-2014 , 22:23   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #633

Good work.
Mr. Zero
Veteran Member
Old 08-12-2014 , 08:59   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChaos25 View Post
So, I successfully managed to play as Zoey on my windows server, just not the way anyone would normally expect...

As we can see, the problem lies, neither, in the m_survivorCharacter netprop, nor on Zoey herself, but rather, on her FPS stuff, her hands...

I can play through the maps just fine without crashes, but since I'm using the L4D1_SURVIVORS team, I get weird treatments...

1) You CAN'T use Radial menus (Read, can't vocalize)
2) You still take damage, but have no Hud, not even with hidehud 0
3) Every living thing ignores you, if you get incapped, gg
4) in the same vein, while SI ignore you, they can still pin you by accident, and if you get vomited, commons will attack you.
5) You become a spectator on every map transition
6) You can heal other survivors, revive them if incapped, inflict Friendly Fire, but not give them pills/adrenaline...
7) In First Person, Zoey's hands are gone, this is what leads me to believe this is the reason for the crash, as any survivor in team 4 has invisible hands in First Person
If you fail the map, while everyone teleports to the safe room, you will stay unafected, not teleported, your HP/ammo/equipment remains, etc...
9) Witches ignore you too, if you startle them, they will select a random survivor to chase...
10) You can see the outlines of SI...

Even with all of this, I still had fun with Zoey...

Does this make me a masochist?

XD
Team number 4 is the same index used by the Survivors in the Passing. Of course as you have noticed that comes with a lot of broken things as team 4 was never suppose to be in human hands but reserved purely for Survivor bots.

I do not recommend using it for actual play.
DeathChaos25
Old 08-12-2014 , 11:32   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Team number 4 is the same index used by the Survivors in the Passing. Of course as you have noticed that comes with a lot of broken things as team 4 was never suppose to be in human hands but reserved purely for Survivor bots.

I do not recommend using it for actual play.
I know about it being the index for bots in The Passing, but that's EXACTLY why I tried it ;p

But you are correct in saying that it shouldn't be used for normal play, as it could potentially cause unwanted bugs.
DeathChaos25
Old 08-16-2014 , 12:14   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #636

Ok, now I'm REALLY confused...

Someone care to explain THIS to me?

Does anyone know if the actual character flag can be found elsewhere?

Like, the IsTeenGirl, IsGambler, IsMechanic, etc...

Apparently, m_survivorCharacter isn't the only way of loading a survivor's data...

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 08-16-2014 at 12:15. Reason: Forgot video link
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 08-16-2014 , 13:22   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #637

Welp.

At least now you have a new avenue to work with.
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 08-16-2014 , 19:23   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #638

What was the unknown netprop you found deathchaos25?

If it is indeed possible that you found a method that can load the l4d2 survivors arms and icons on l4d1 maps. THAT would be just as much a breakthrough as getting all the survivors working on windows.

Last edited by Sev; 08-16-2014 at 19:25.
DeathChaos25
Old 08-16-2014 , 19:57   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
What was the unknown netprop you found deathchaos25?

If it is indeed possible that you found a method that can load the l4d2 survivors arms and icons on l4d1 maps. THAT would be just as much a breakthrough as getting all the survivors working on windows.
To be perfectly honest, I have ABSOLUTELY no clue at all, as this was actually an accidental find.

I tried using tEntDev, but I didn't really find anything that might be this unknown netprop, it won't stop me from further testing to find it though.

My experimentation worked like this,
by using Cheat Engine on a Vanilla Listen Server (aka Single Player), I would use sb_takecontrol to switch around my m_survivorCharacter netprop to find it's address with Cheat Engine, and set it to 5, and instead of finding only m_survivorCharacter, I found this unknown netprop that seems to be a clone.

It works the same way, and the values would load up the corresponding icons and hands, it's also a 4 byte value too, everything bar the functionality seems to be alike, and in an actual dedicated server, cheat engine doesn't pick up m_survivorCharacter's address, but rather, this unknow netprop.

I'll test in No Mercy and see if I can indeed load L4D2 icons and hands and I'll let you guys know.

Edit : Well, sadly, no L4D2 Icons/arms in L4D campaigns, and I have yet to find out the name of this mysterious netprop.

On a side note, m_survivorCharacter 5 crashes EVEN on L4D campaigns, unsurprisingly.

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 08-16-2014 at 20:33.
spidera2
Old 08-17-2014 , 16:18   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #640

Hello guys can some one help me when i select l4d1 charecter in l4d2 campain the game crashesh only bill works and doesent crash the game help please.