Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

How to hook on late load? [Solved]

Post New Thread Reply   

Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 01-26-2015 , 03:36   Re: How to hook on late load? [Solved]
Reply With Quote #11

Oh yeah... I guess since many plugins also hook players when they connect, it seems like you can't "stack hooks".

In which case... perhaps stuff like OnTakeDamage can just be hooked for all clients during OnMapStart?

BAFFLED
Old 01-26-2015 , 07:31   Re: How to hook on late load? [Solved]
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chdata View Post
That's correct for a different reason. You don't need to unhook when a client disconnects from the server.

I'm not sure exactly why though. It's either because you can't hook something twice (which I doubt, you probably actually can and have double repeating code), or because client entities don't actually get "killed" or "removed" - at least that's my theory as I don't know - that when someone connects his control is exerted on an existing player entity that's being unused.

Or maybe SM does unhook clients on disconnect, who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
I have seen many plugins hook stuff on player spawn. Now I'm wondering how long these hooks stay active. And if hooktype + entindex + callback-address is unique so that it wouldn't be hooked or called multiple times.
Quote:
Oh yeah... I guess since many plugins also hook players when they connect, it seems like you can't "stack hooks".

In which case... perhaps stuff like OnTakeDamage can just be hooked for all clients during OnMapStart?
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. Hooks are automatically removed upon entity removal or client disconnect, and have been that way since long before SDKHooks was shipped with SM. Hooks are active until this point or until manually removed.

You can add multiple hooks of the same type to an entity, to different callbacks or to the same callback. There are no restrictions at all on that.
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-26-2015 , 12:43   Re: How to hook on late load? [Solved]
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. Hooks are automatically removed upon entity removal or client disconnect, and have been that way since long before SDKHooks was shipped with SM. Hooks are active until this point or until manually removed.

You can add multiple hooks of the same type to an entity, to different callbacks or to the same callback. There are no restrictions at all on that.
Might seem ignorant to ask this but what's the point of the unhook function if that's the case? Is it so you can create new hooks with the same entities?
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 01-26-2015 , 12:49   Re: How to hook on late load? [Solved]
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dw3r3w0lf View Post
Might seem ignorant to ask this but what's the point of the unhook function if that's the case? Is it so you can create new hooks with the same entities?
It exists for the same reason that UnhookEvent, UnhookUserMessage, and UnhookConVarChange exist - to easily disable certain functionality when it is no longer needed. Granted, those would be things that normally unhook on plugin unload rather than entity destruction, but it's the same premise.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 01-26-2015 , 14:40   Re: How to hook on late load? [Solved]
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post

It's because where the heck is there any documentation on this.

sdkhooks.inc isn't very descriptive, and the API doesn't say that

Last edited by Chdata; 01-26-2015 at 14:45.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 01-26-2015 , 14:50   Re: How to hook on late load? [Solved]
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
It's because where the heck is there any documentation on this.

sdkhooks.inc isn't very descriptive, and the API doesn't say that
There is definitely room for improvement with the documentation.

Wiki contributions and pull requests for the includes are welcome.
Mathias.
Veteran Member
Old 01-26-2015 , 14:52   Re: How to hook on late load? [Solved]
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dw3r3w0lf View Post
Just for an example if you have a cvar that enable and disable the plugin dynamically, you can had a cvar hook change and unhook your sdkhooks or hook depending on the toggle without having the plugin unload. In some cases you would just want to hook a player for a round or something.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 01-26-2015 , 14:57   Re: How to hook on late load? [Solved]
Reply With Quote #18

I'd probably contribute if I didn't feel like a noooooooooooooooooooooooob

I also still have no clue how KillTimer and CloseHandle are functionally different.

Last edited by Chdata; 01-26-2015 at 14:58.
Mathias.
Veteran Member
Old 01-26-2015 , 14:59   Re: How to hook on late load? [Solved]
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
I'd probably contribute if I didn't feel like a noooooooooooooooooooooooob

I also still have no clue how KillTimer and CloseHandle are functionally different.
What do you mean? Your 2 OP with those mario world assembly modifications you are doing!

Last edited by Mathias.; 01-26-2015 at 14:59.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 01-26-2015 , 15:08   Re: How to hook on late load? [Solved]
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
There is no functional difference.