Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[HELP] Players touching through thin walls

Post New Thread Reply   

hellmoss
Old 08-19-2016 , 09:05   [HELP] Players touching through thin walls
Reply With Quote #1

I read a lot about tracelining and checked out this stock is_wall_between_points(). Tried also the is_visible() native, but they don't seem to work. Is this inevitable? How do I check if there's a wall between players? How do I block touch registration in this case?

The leet's head is giving a small boost to the arctic, otherwise the arctic's feet aren't in the air.

Last edited by hellmoss; 08-19-2016 at 09:09.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:25
Bad_Bud
This message has been deleted by Bad_Bud.
Depresie
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2016 , 17:21   Re: [HELP] Players touching through thin walls
Reply With Quote #2

The best way would be to use proper maps, that means maps with holes of 48-64 dimension minimum
Old 09-02-2016 , 17:45   Re: [HELP] Players touching through thin walls
Reply With Quote #3

It looks like is_wall_between_points should work in the picture you have provided. In your case was ignore_entities true or false? It looks like is_wall_between_points already ignores monsters (players). Is it possible you set ignore_entities to true, yet the box in the picture is a func_wall? This would cause the line to trace through it as if it was not there, if I understand correctly.

Last edited by Bad_Bud; 09-02-2016 at 17:46.
hellmoss
Old 09-04-2016 , 21:13   Re: [HELP] Players touching through thin walls
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Bud View Post
It looks like is_wall_between_points should work in the picture you have provided. In your case was ignore_entities true or false? It looks like is_wall_between_points already ignores monsters (players). Is it possible you set ignore_entities to true, yet the box in the picture is a func_wall? This would cause the line to trace through it as if it was not there, if I understand correctly.
Box in the pic is world. Unfortunately I've deleted my testing code as I gave up on fixing that and I can't answer your questions. I can tell you that in my server I have a PlayerTouch forward which does some things but when it comes to thin walls it can get quite annoying. I think that the forward triggers touch registration on model or hitbox collision. In theory is_wall_between_points() should trace a line from the eye position of a player, which is somewhere around the waist of the model (I think), thus checking for a wall between players shouldn't be registered as touching. I played a lot with the function's parameters but without any outcome.
SpannerSpammer
Old 09-05-2016 , 00:34   Re: [HELP] Players touching through thin walls
Reply With Quote #5

Try using your own Traceline with the DONT_IGNORE_MONSTERS setting.
Also, try starting your traceline from the Player origin, instead of his eye position.

From your image, it looks like the traceline could be starting from outside the box
(if you're tracing from eyepos) since the Player's head (and eye position) is partially
outside the box. It could also be that you're NOT detecting the worldspawn entity:

AMX Has problems handling the worldspawn entity (index 0).
In fact, a NUMBER of functions just Do NOT work when you plug index 0 into them.

I found out the hard way that Tracelines in AMX DO NOT return the proper index (Zero)
when it hits the worldspawn entity, it returns an invalid index (-1).

A way around this is to fudge the trace result a little: If flFraction < 1.0 AND
pHit is -1, then you can assume you've hit static architecture (i.e. worldspawn).

Keep on working on the problem and NEVER delete test code, just put it in a folder,
somewhere, you never know when you might need to use it again.

Last edited by SpannerSpammer; 09-05-2016 at 00:35.
PRoSToTeM@
Veteran Member
Old 09-05-2016 , 08:07   Re: [HELP] Players touching through thin walls
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmoss View Post
I think that the forward triggers touch registration on model or hitbox collision.
BBox collision. You have this situation because counter-strike ducked (sitting) players have bbox (collision with normal entities) bigger than hull (collision with brushes).
Duck hull size is: mins = (-16, -16, -18), maxs = (16, 16, 18).
Duck bbox in CS: mins = (-16, -16, -18), maxs = (16, 16, 32).

Last edited by PRoSToTeM@; 09-05-2016 at 08:07.
Send a message via ICQ to PRoSToTeM@ Send a message via Skype™ to PRoSToTeM@