Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Are we allowed to give players hats and knives/weapons now? Or talk about it?

Post New Thread Reply   

fenrox
Old 09-29-2019 , 13:01   Are we allowed to give players hats and knives/weapons now? Or talk about it?
Reply With Quote #1

It has long been an unspoken rule not to discuss visible hat and weapon plugins here ever since Valve started blocking them from showing up without extensive workarounds.

However many servers on CS:GO and now TF2 (specifically wonderland.tf and otaku.tf) have been doing this for the last few years and despite being reported multiple times, they are still there. I've attempted to contact Valve about this many times, but they have not replied.

Should this be taken as a sign that granting players visible hats and weapons is allowed now? At least for TF2, modifying and granting "economy" items was only explicitly banned for "quickplay" but quickplay doesn't exist anymore.

It would be very good for the community here to be able to discuss and share methods on how to do this so mods like Randomizer and Saxton Hale could have visible weapons and wearables.

Last edited by fenrox; 09-29-2019 at 13:06.
Ejziponken
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-29-2019 , 13:16   Re: Are we allowed to give players hats and knives/weapons now? Or talk about it?
Reply With Quote #2

Its not allowed. Its like a having a law/rule but no police to enforce it. It stupid as fuck, but thats how it is.

Last edited by Ejziponken; 09-29-2019 at 13:17.
fenrox
Old 09-30-2019 , 17:11   Re: Are we allowed to give players hats and knives/weapons now? Or talk about it?
Reply With Quote #3

I would like to hear from the administration at alliedmods. Or maybe someone here has gotten a response from Valve?

I think we should be allowed to share and discuss these plugins on this forum due to all these reasons.
  • Valve is not punishing servers that do this for at least the last 3 years both on CS:GO and TF2.
  • Valve does not respond to questions about these servers and whether it is allowed or not. I have personally contacted them and other have told me they have as well. No one has gotten a single reply.
  • It was never explicitly banned in TF2 except for in Quickplay in the "Policy of Truth". Quickplay does not exist anymore.
  • I do not believe server given items would make people stop buying them because people would still like to use these items on other servers.
  • This would have legitimate benefits for custom game modes. People running around with invisible weapons has been a great nuisance for gamemodes like randomizer and freak fortress.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 10-01-2019 , 14:16   Re: Are we allowed to give players hats and knives/weapons now? Or talk about it?
Reply With Quote #4

We will continue to respect Valve's published wishes here on AM until Valve make a public statement stating otherwise - I'm afraid you'll need to get them to change their position if you want plugin's breaking their rules to be approved here.
Old 10-01-2019 , 23:09   Re: Are we allowed to give players hats and knives/weapons now? Or talk about it?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
We will continue to respect Valve's published wishes here on AM until Valve make a public statement stating otherwise - I'm afraid you'll need to get them to change their position if you want plugin's breaking their rules to be approved here.
As far as I can tell they only publicly stated it was against the rules in TF2 for quickplay though. And quickplay does not exist anymore.

That along with their refusal to punish the servers doing it for the past 3+ years and lack of a response makes me think that it is allowed now. I hope you reconsider.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-01-2019 , 23:42   Re: Are we allowed to give players hats and knives/weapons now? Or talk about it?
Reply With Quote #6

It's weird acting like Valve only objected to giving people economy items in QuickPlay considering that originally patched the game engine to make economy items invisible to players in early 2010... over a year before QuickPlay even existed.
Old 10-04-2019 , 07:27   Re: Are we allowed to give players hats and knives/weapons now? Or talk about it?
Reply With Quote #7

My favorite thing about this topic is how all the admins/mods here who own servers have these illegal plugins on their servers, but those very same admins/mods will censor/lock topics that discuss it and act holier than thou. There's one mod here in particular that does this, but has those plugins on all of his servers. Real tegridy right there.

Is this community hosted in China? Just because Valve said something, something that they don't even bother to enforce which means they couldn't give a crap about it, doesn't mean we all have to cower to them.

On another note, Valve literally killed plugin development, and you still wanna kiss their butt? Plugin development literally friggin died when they removed the MOTD from CSGO. There hasn't been a worth while game mode or plugin made in almost a year. Before that, dozens of plugins a month coming out because communities were actively having things developed. Now, same boring stuff that we've had for years and nothing new will come.

This forum is practically dead because of it. All that's left here is the occasional update to some good plugins, and very little ongoing discussion about the rest. But yes, let's keep praising Valve's "wishes". Especially since they've been so supportive of the modding community with CS:GO (they haven't).

Last edited by mlov420; 10-04-2019 at 07:28.
Mikado
Old 10-04-2019 , 20:59   Re: Are we allowed to give players hats and knives/weapons now? Or talk about it?
Reply With Quote #8

It's like having a Netflix account and sharing it with all your friends and their friends, in the ToS it's prohibited but most people do it.