Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

View Poll Results: What should the new native (assuming it gets accepted) be called?
TF2_SetClientTeam 3 25.00%
TF2_ChangeClientTeam 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

[CLOSED] Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback

Post New Thread Reply   

Wliu
Veteran Member
Old 02-21-2015 , 21:02   [CLOSED] Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback
Reply With Quote #1

So I recently submitted a pull request to try to get a new native added.

I was initially going to call it TF2_SetClientTeam (which wraps around ChangeClientTeam and provides symmetry for TF2_GetClientTeam) but psychonic has suggested that it might be better named as TF2_ChangeClientTeam.

So basically I just want to see what everyone else thinks about the naming.

Last edited by Wliu; 02-24-2015 at 15:15. Reason: Merged.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 02-21-2015 , 23:10   Re: Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback
Reply With Quote #2

I dunno, seems pretty pointless to me as all it is is a function to throw that ugly enum tag on it.
Old 02-22-2015 , 11:19   Re: Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chdata View Post
I dunno, seems pretty pointless to me as all it is is a function to throw that ugly enum tag on it.
I'd enjoy not having to coerce stuff from TFTeam to ints and back to TFTeam again repeatedly just because of ChangeClientTeam ;P.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-22-2015 , 17:51   Re: Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback
Reply With Quote #4

If you're creating a TF2-specific change team, why wouldn't you just call the newer ChangeTeam that SM doesn't implement?

That is, TF2's CTFPlayer::ChangeTeam( int iTeamNum, bool bAutoTeam, bool bSilent );, which is in CTFPlayer's vtable (420 on Linux).
Veteran Member
Old 02-22-2015 , 19:08   Re: Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
If you're creating a TF2-specific change team, why wouldn't you just call the newer ChangeTeam that SM doesn't implement?

That is, TF2's CTFPlayer::ChangeTeam( int iTeamNum, bool bAutoTeam, bool bSilent );, which is in CTFPlayer's vtable (420 on Linux).
That bSilent looks *really* appealing right now ;P. Perhaps someone could implement that?
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2015 , 09:51   Re: Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback
Reply With Quote #6

Setting team is more like dynamic thing Like for mannhattan anti crash.

Changing team sounds like the normal changeteam.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 02-24-2015 , 10:17   Re: Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post

I addressed this in a comment on Wliu's PR before seeing the source here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wliu View Post
In addition, Powerlord pointed out that there's a new CTFPlayer::ChangeTeam( int iTeamNum, bool bAutoTeam, bool bSilent );
If by new, you mean eight years old ;). It's existed since the Orangebox engine debuted.
The beauty of the one we're using now is that it is on a fairly stable interface. The other one would require gamedata as it would occasionally break. Additionally, automatically selecting a team and blocking the player_team event can be done manually without much hassle.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-24-2015 , 11:00   Re: Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback
Reply With Quote #8

My mistake, I was thinking of CTFPlayer::ForceChangeTeam(int, bool) which is the one called by CTFGameRules when it swaps players for autobalancing and team switches between rounds.

As I recall, there was a conversation before about what the bool was and it controls whether dominations are cleared.

However, that's still going to have gamedata issues as it would require a signature.

This particular function has all sorts of extra logic for things like duel minigames, dropping flags, etc... that aren't necessarily covered by the normal ChangeTeam.
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2015 , 14:36   Re: Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback
Reply With Quote #9

I would vote for TF2_SwitchTeam(int client, int team) since cstrike CS_SwitchTeam(int client, int team) just to keep a standard for the API (is that even something that might go official?)
Wliu
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2015 , 15:14   Re: Adding a new native to Sourcemod, would like some naming feedback
Reply With Quote #10

It was merged in as TF2_ChangeClientTeam to a) provide consistency for the underlying command and b) better represent what it's actually doing.