Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Players Getting Blurry Screen That Wont Go Away *FIX*

Post New Thread Reply   

Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 05-27-2018 , 14:07   Players Getting Blurry Screen That Wont Go Away *FIX*
Reply With Quote #1

This is a PSA to anyone who has heard of their players having this issue.

If you have ever heard of someone complaining about someone getting a blurry screen overlay that wont go away this will explain why it happens and how to fix it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1347220928
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1347224201

^This is what it looks like.^

A server admin decided to make a file called 0.vmt which can be found here:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\download\materials

Freak and other mods or even maps might use overlays on players. To clear the overlay when it needs to be cleared the command "r_screenoverlay 0" is used. However, because someone made a file called 0.vmt using 0 in that command points to that file and causes the blurry screen.

If you use ff2_phatrages plugin it uses "r_screenoverlay 0" command players on roundend and on playerspawn. To fix just open the plugin and where ever you find "r_screenoverlay 0" just replace with "r_screenoverlay \"\"". This is just one plugin fix though, if any other plugin or map uses that command with 0 it will still occur.

To fix forever tell your players to go to the file path above and delete that 0.vmt file. If anyone says they can't find it just have them delete the entire materials folder, then have them restart TF2.

Last edited by Fearts; 05-27-2018 at 16:29.
Oshizu
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2018 , 16:09   Re: Players Getting Blurry Screen That Wont Go Away *FIX*
Reply With Quote #2

Those files are from my community.

As for explanation of them. These files are fix for old source engine underwater vmt files bugging out overlays somehow and covering player screens with purple-black checkers while they are underwater.

This issue occured frequently on my servers. Players while being underwater had their screen covered with purple black checkers and their console spammed with something about being unable to load 0.vmt, 1.vmt, 2.vmt etc. files.
Thats how I found cause and potential fix anyways.

As for r_screenoverlay issue, heres a proper way to clear it:
PHP Code:
int iFlags GetCommandFlags("r_screenoverlay");
SetCommandFlags("r_screenoverlay"iFlags & ~FCVAR_CHEAT);
ClientCommand(client"r_screenoverlay \"\"");
ClientCommand(client"r_screenoverlay \"\"");
SetCommandFlags("r_screenoverlay"iFlags); 
r_screenoverlay command takes string argument, so if you put in 0 its going to try to load 0.vmt file as overlay, and due to fail-safe not display it, in result clearing player's screen of previous overlay.
So don't blame me if 0.vmt file will be loaded when someone passes 0 parameter with it.

I'm not going to remove files from fastdl. Because even If I found a way to resolve this issue without use of number files, theres always possiblity of someone uploading 0.vmt file with malicious texture now that this stuff has been publicly discussed here. Also tons of people already have that file, so we're just going to stir up even bigger confusion..

Last edited by Oshizu; 05-27-2018 at 16:26.
Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 05-27-2018 , 16:23   Re: Players Getting Blurry Screen That Wont Go Away *FIX*
Reply With Quote #3

@Oshizu

Thanks for your post clearing this up. I have filed a report to Valve so maybe they will fix this and make 0 not try to open a file. I added your fix which a friend already gave me to the plugin which I have attached to this post if anyone wants it. I think though this will still be a issue for some servers as I think some maps use 0. If I find any maps I guess I can use Stripper to change it but it's just a pain.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (ff2_phatrages.sp - 201 views - 33.7 KB)
File Type: smx ff2_phatrages.smx (22.8 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by Fearts; 05-27-2018 at 16:23.
Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 05-29-2018 , 18:08   Re: Players Getting Blurry Screen That Wont Go Away *FIX*
Reply With Quote #4

John replied to a bug request I sent in saying:

Quote:
r_screenoverlay off is the proper (magic, undocumented) command to clear an overlay. I will alias 0 to off for a future update, as that is the usual convention for source commands/convars.
So hopefully this issue with resolve itself in a future update.
Old 06-07-2018 , 16:50   Re: Players Getting Blurry Screen That Wont Go Away *FIX*
Reply With Quote #5

Updated r_screenoverlay command to accept '0' as well as 'off' to disable overlays. This fixes some community mods that were incorrectly expecting 0 to disable the overlay, resulting in unexpected behavior.

ggwp

Last edited by epicwindow; 06-07-2018 at 16:51.