Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Solved Difference between Chat Msgs?

Post New Thread Reply   

OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 11-19-2017 , 14:05   Re: Difference between Chat Msgs?
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depresie View Post
I suggest we stop complaining, and appreciate the work and effort put on the new version..
There was a lot more work and effort put from 1.8.2 to 1.8.3 than from 1.8.0 to 1.8.2

Besides it is in dev state because of two reasons

1. There are not enough people using it to be able to determine how stable it is and report issues if there are
2. They plan on improving it further more

In conclusion you are complaining here because you are too ignorant to use it
The majority of this community has become entitled little pricks with a stick up their ass, bitching and flaming and talking shit when ever they have the opportunity

Remember when everyone around here used to appreciate each other and be polite ? peperidge farm remembers
If they keep this up, they keep improving it forever. What I would do is stop adding new updates for a while and focus on fixing all known bugs in order to release a stable 1.8.3 version. Then keep making new stuff for 1.8.4.
Veteran Member
Old 11-19-2017 , 14:21   Re: Difference between Chat Msgs?
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
I suggest we stop complaining, and appreciate the work and effort put on the new version..
There was a lot more work and effort put from 1.8.2 to 1.8.3 than from 1.8.0 to 1.8.2

Besides it is in dev state because of two reasons

1. There are not enough people using it to be able to determine how stable it is and report issues if there are
2. They plan on improving it further more

In conclusion you are complaining here because you are too ignorant to use it
The majority of this community has become entitled little pricks with a stick up their ass, bitching and flaming and talking shit when ever they have the opportunity

Remember when everyone around here used to appreciate each other and be polite ? peperidge farm remembers
I think you've got it all wrong. Most people are complaining because they want to appreciate it but can't until it's gone through an official release (for stability reasons; which, by the way, is a very good reason to not use any dev version).
Old 11-19-2017 , 14:33   Re: Difference between Chat Msgs?
Reply With Quote #13

Arkshine posted the roadmap sometime ago. 1.8.3 (1.9) Will come in due time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkshine View Post
Well, it's not that simple.

The next version is 1.9. It's a major version and it's expected to have a lot of changes. Though, the changelog is actually not that big. As I've probably said already, the goal is to make things more up-to-date because it's really needed, not to break things. To be honest, at the start, we were just trying to fix/improve things here and there and we ended with a fair share of internal & important changes because the more you dig in the code, the more you find real issues which need to be addressed.

A particular issue is we lack people (test/review), so the development is kind of slow. Sometimes everyone is busy/lazy for a while. Sometimes someone finds bugs and this can lead to a bunch of fixes/improvements/new stuff. Sometimes you want to update a plugin but you need to update the modules before. It can't be helped. Time flies fast. Believe me, sometimes it's really frustrating. The point is, before we knew, a lot of stuff was already merged. At this point, you can't just release an half-baked AMXX version. The next version became major, in the meaning, a lot of things everywhere have been touched. There is no real dramatic change. Full backward-compatibility is obviously kept, the dev version should perform better with the same behavior as the previous version, but we are human, we don't have enough feedbacks and sometimes a bug can pop up.

Actually, there are not much core/internal changes, some are enough important to involve a lot of code, but what is really big is the stuff for the developer, way too much, I agree and it's enough for this version. On the contrary, admin stuff has been kind of ignored. That's why, before we go in feature freeze state, I want at least update the plugins and offer some long-awaited features for admins, because each time they are ignored .

If you want to know the big plan is something like:

1) Finishing to write/format/check the release notes and API changes (this is quite the nightmare, I assure you), then posting on the wiki.
2) Making an announce we're still alive, some words about the next version, linking to the release notes, and asking some help (test/review/pr/etc).
3) Opening Issues tab on Github because everyone hates or doesn't know bugtracker.
4) Trying to update/add stuffs for admins.
5) Declaring the version is now feature freeze and maybe inviting more people to test the dev version.
6) After a while, preparing the release (doc, installer, translations, etc.)
7) Releasing finally the shit and dying in peace.
Announcing future release will be on a rolling cycle, like SourceMod, because it makes sense.
9) And after that, that would a great step.
Depresie
Veteran Member
Old 11-19-2017 , 16:18   Re: Difference between Chat Msgs?
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
What I would do is stop adding new updates for a while and focus on fixing all known bugs in order to release a stable 1.8.3 version.
The developers cannot create a final release if we are not running it on our public servers
And we are not running it on our public servers because it is not a final release..

We are stuck in an endless loop
Code:
No public servers running 1.8.3, no final release
Code:
No final release, no servers running 1.8.3
In order to have a final release we should run the latest dev version on our public servers and encourage other server owners to do the same

Last edited by Depresie; 11-19-2017 at 16:21.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 11-19-2017 , 17:48   Re: Difference between Chat Msgs?
Reply With Quote #15

What does running it on servers have to do with making a final release?! Also, you're wrong - many servers are running 1.8.3 dev builds.
Veteran Member
Old 11-19-2017 , 18:46   Re: Difference between Chat Msgs?
Reply With Quote #16

Well, it has to do a lot with making a final release, it is about testing the build under different configurations/circumstances/situations

You cannot decide whether the build is stable or not if there are not enough public servers running it with different configurations/plugins

There may be configurations/plugins that will trigger unknown issues, and the devs will have to make a final release every time an issue pops up, so we will be in the same situation as now, only instead of dev builds they will be called final builds..

Last edited by Depresie; 11-19-2017 at 18:51.
TheWhitesmith
Old 11-19-2017 , 18:50   Re: Difference between Chat Msgs?
Reply With Quote #17

Actually I'm running the last version of amxx (1.8.3 dev) without any problems, it feels even better to run it since you don't have to use colorchat includes or some stocks that weren't available in the 1.8.2!
I really encourage every person to use the latest version.
aron9forever
Veteran Member
Old 11-19-2017 , 18:59   Re: Difference between Chat Msgs?
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhitesmith View Post
Actually I'm running the last version of amxx (1.8.3 dev) without any problems, it feels even better to run it since you don't have to use colorchat includes or some stocks that weren't available in the 1.8.2!
I really encourage every person to use the latest version.
same, and I found two bugs already this way lol
useless small optimizations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
On a map that is 512x512x128 units you end up with 3,355,443,200,000 different "positions". To store each one of those positions individually in the variable "user_or" you need 12 terabytes of memory.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-19-2017 , 19:35   Re: Difference between Chat Msgs?
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
The developers cannot create a final release if we are not running it on our public servers
And we are not running it on our public servers because it is not a final release..

We are stuck in an endless loop
Code:
No public servers running 1.8.3, no final release
Code:
No final release, no servers running 1.8.3
In order to have a final release we should run the latest dev version on our public servers and encourage other server owners to do the same
You have some flawed logic in your assumptions. A final release is not the immediate next step. You must first have a feature freeze or it is sometimes referred to a "release candidate". This allows everybody willing to test the new version to synchronize on a single version and test for bugs. During this time, there cannot be any features added, only fixes to bugs found because adding features requires re-testing a whole bunch of things.
Old 11-19-2017 , 20:30   Re: Difference between Chat Msgs?
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
You have some flawed logic in your assumptions. A final release is not the immediate next step. You must first have a feature freeze or it is sometimes referred to a "release candidate". This allows everybody willing to test the new version to synchronize on a single version and test for bugs. During this time, there cannot be any features added, only fixes to bugs found because adding features requires re-testing a whole bunch of things.
Exactly what I meant. Simply stop with the updates and focus on finding and fixing the current bugs. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would like to participate in testing if they decided to "freeze" at some point. Nothing wrong with spending a few weeks for that, releasing a stable version and continue to 1.8.4 later.