Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

OpenFastDL

Post New Thread Reply   

Chefe
Old 01-09-2013 , 18:46   OpenFastDL
Reply With Quote #1

Hey guys!

You know the problem of slow fastdl or limited space because more space is unpayable? Some servers must go offline because of these costs. Here comes the solution!

openfastdl.net is a project witch intend to build a free, non limited and open fastdl space available! No costs! Anyone is able to post map suggestions!

Maps are added after approve from a moderator. Our target is to get one of the biggest, free and open FastDL that exist!

You are invited to help get this working! We are searching for map moderators and forum moderators!

Of course, you are all friendly invited to use the OpenFastDL for your own servers. The main geographic target is europe at the moment, because of the servers location.

Actually we have a middle-sized maps & sounds fastdl for TF2! Its intended to all source engine games based on bzip fastdl.

Visit us @ openfastdl.net, answer in this topic or email me: [email protected]

OpenFastDL: openfastdl.net
Open public shared moderated FastDL for free use
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 01-09-2013 , 18:54   Re: OpenFastDL
Reply With Quote #2

So this is basically a single shared FastDL site for people to use? We, as server admins, have zero control over what files are available to our servers? If someone uploads an incomplete or inaccurate file, all servers using the service get affected?

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Chefe
Old 01-09-2013 , 19:21   Re: OpenFastDL
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
So this is basically a single shared FastDL site for people to use? We, as server admins, have zero control over what files are available to our servers? If someone uploads an incomplete or inaccurate file, all servers using the service get affected?
Yes, thats it.
Control is limited sure. Its not possible to make it public controllable.

But each map get approved before it gets uploaded there. With ingame check of basic functionality. There is no "direct" upload into the live fastdl files.

Sure, i cant guarantee for availability. But its free, and i will do my very best.

btw: there is no easy overriding. Before a map gets overriden each one has the possibility to discuss at our forums. Same things with deletions. If you look once in a month to the forums there is no need to fear a spontaneous deletion of the map you use on your server.

Its basicly this:

1. Choose a private hosting and pay money or
2. Look if the OpenFastDL fits your requirements and pay no money, but have access to all what is available there.

Last edited by Chefe; 01-09-2013 at 19:45.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 01-09-2013 , 20:24   Re: OpenFastDL
Reply With Quote #4

You really should not be directly referring to maps. There are lots of other duplicate files that exist and could very easily cause issues if they aren't added/renamed correctly before uploading. Maps are also not the only files that benefit from FastDL.

Oh well, a shared service such as this is a nice idea, but has many potential flaws. Hopefully someone will find some use for it, it doesn't suit my requirements though.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Chefe
Old 01-09-2013 , 20:28   Re: OpenFastDL
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
You really should not be directly referring to maps. There are lots of other duplicate files that exist and could very easily cause issues if they aren't added/renamed correctly before uploading. Maps are also not the only files that benefit from FastDL.

Oh well, a shared service such as this is a nice idea, but has many potential flaws. Hopefully someone will find some use for it, it doesn't suit my requirements though.
Sure, besides there are sounds, materials and more that also can passed on OpenFastDL. Sure, only a map name is no guarantee that this is "the" map in his originaly form or version. But these problems are present on every fastdl in general and can be lowered to a minimum with a little bit of research on the net. Furthermore there can be a checksum list of all files where gameserver admins can compere if they or the fastdl version is different.

Last edited by Chefe; 01-09-2013 at 20:36.
Ade
I love purple
Old 01-10-2013 , 04:36   Re: OpenFastDL
Reply With Quote #6

who does the funding

i can help if needed, game: hl2dm

Last edited by Ade; 01-10-2013 at 04:47.
Chefe
Old 01-10-2013 , 10:26   Re: OpenFastDL
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade View Post
who does the funding
Thats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade View Post
i can help if needed, game: hl2dm
Help is very welcome and hl2dm suits perfect. The best way is to post maps (or map packages as well) in this forum topic: http://board.openfastdl.net/viewforum.php?f=5

Groger
Veteran Member
Old 01-10-2013 , 10:46   Re: OpenFastDL
Reply With Quote #8

This is a great project super handy for small servers that don't have alot of funding.
Pitbull3
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-11-2013 , 00:48   Re: OpenFastDL
Reply With Quote #9

This looks like an epic failure waiting to happen.
Ade
I love purple
Old 01-11-2013 , 02:31   Re: OpenFastDL
Reply With Quote #10

unless he dies and funding stops, i see no failure