Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Ham_TakeDamage with FF, Ham_TraceAttack not working correctly

Post New Thread Reply   

Backstabnoob
Veteran Member
Old 07-17-2014 , 17:47   Re: Ham_TakeDamage with FF, Ham_TraceAttack not working correctly
Reply With Quote #11

I see him being rude quite a lot, this post not being the only one. Very frequently when he posts it reeks of ego centrism and arrogance. I might be wrong and I actually have absolutely no problems accepting my mistakes and taking something from them, but not with that kind of attitude. I'm sorry, I simply can't stand people like that. Just because he spent more time in the HLSDK source code than me doesn't give him the right to act the way he does towards other people. I understand that my reply might have sounded a bit overboard, but I don't need to calm down - I merely stated that if he wants to help me (or anyone else in general), he should act a bit more friendly, because answers such as his have the opposite effect (for example me completely denying whatever he said).

Back to the topic: I know this might sound stupid to you as you usually defend this kind of thing, but is there any way to do that without Orpheu? I could probably simply execute TakeDamage and spawn the blood myself, because I actually never used TraceAttack to inflict damage to a player. I can set the hitzone just fine with m_LastHitGroup too, tested it and it works fine. I have nothing against Orpheu as long as it's necessary to be used - I don't want to put additional weight on the people who might be interested in this. If there's absolutely no other acceptable way then I guess I'll just use Orpheu.

Last edited by Backstabnoob; 07-17-2014 at 17:55.
Arkshine
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 07-17-2014 , 18:24   Re: Ham_TakeDamage with FF, Ham_TraceAttack not working correctly
Reply With Quote #12

Yeah it sounds silly for me because you should always use the appropriate tool to do something, and not wanting some dependency is not really a convincing argument. Of course it depends of the context, like using Orpheu to call TakeDamage instead of using Ham.
You don't have really the choice, you need to rewrite TraceAttack (EDIT: I'm tired not sure it it makes sense what I'm saying \o/). This function is just about dealing with shield (sound/spark), punch angle, spawing blood. But well, using Orpheu/Okapi is the appropriate way and signature is not going to break easily unless there is changes in the code(which is not going to happen). Okapi is probably the best choice as you can put datas in your plugin and module doesn't rely on std++.

Last edited by Arkshine; 07-17-2014 at 18:27.
Backstabnoob
Veteran Member
Old 07-17-2014 , 18:29   Re: Ham_TakeDamage with FF, Ham_TraceAttack not working correctly
Reply With Quote #13

I'll look into those two then, thanks for the response.

To make myself clear: I'm looking at this from a perspective of a PHP developer who has to deploy applications for clients and from my own experience, an average client doesn't care about why exactly you want to use a third party solution, they'll just say "I don't know how to do this. Why do I need it when the X app doesn't and it does the same thing?" Generally speaking, it's better for the application to be as standalone as possible, even at the cost of slightly reduced performance. That's why I said that I'd prefer a standalone solution; but considering there's none, I'll just use Orpheu/Okapi.

Last edited by Backstabnoob; 07-17-2014 at 18:33.
meTaLiCroSS
Gaze Upon My Hat
Old 07-17-2014 , 18:38   Re: Ham_TakeDamage with FF, Ham_TraceAttack not working correctly
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstabnoob View Post
I see him being rude quite a lot, this post not being the only one. Very frequently when he posts it reeks of ego centrism and arrogance. I might be wrong and I actually have absolutely no problems accepting my mistakes and taking something from them, but not with that kind of attitude. I'm sorry, I simply can't stand people like that. Just because he spent more time in the HLSDK source code than me doesn't give him the right to act the way he does towards other people. I understand that my reply might have sounded a bit overboard, but I don't need to calm down - I merely stated that if he wants to help me (or anyone else in general), he should act a bit more friendly, because answers such as his have the opposite effect (for example me completely denying whatever he said).
..?

Quote:
Maybe you should calm down a bit, and trying to review how work things.
By some reason my english isn't the best of the bests, and I use to say wrong words, but by other way, you're not listening to my voice or my face, so how do you know if I'm angry or i'm actually being arrogant? Calm down buddy, I was trying to help, and about the plugin approver commentary, it was kind of joke, do I must to put like 5 emoticons and three parenthesis telling the reverse?

Quote:
Very frequently when he posts it reeks of ego centrism and arrogance.
Really? When I said that I'm the best above all? hahah instead of that, I'll put you Arkshine case, he's sometime grumpy when replying (it's true buddy ), but as we know, he's a great coder and knows about the engine/mod. It's not my case since I don't use to post about this kind of things.

Quote:
to act the way he does towards other people
I use to be very friendly to those who needs help about mod and engine questions, Arkshine can't reply all threads every time, that's why I use to post sometimes and help people with those questions. This one was one, and I helped you because you seem to be very VERY sure about what you said. Meet me first buddy

And I repeat, you're not listening to my words, so you don't know how I'm talking to you, you don't know if I'm angry, arrogant, or being jerk. It's the same problem that some couples have recently: they argue vía WhatsApp/Facebook because the way they text each other; it's childishness, you should know that.

btw add me on Steam if you want: metalicross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstabnoob View Post
Back to the topic: I know this might sound stupid to you as you usually defend this kind of thing, but is there any way to do that without Orpheu? I could probably simply execute TakeDamage and spawn the blood myself, because I actually never used TraceAttack to inflict damage to a player. I can set the hitzone just fine with m_LastHitGroup too, tested it and it works fine. I have nothing against Orpheu as long as it's necessary to be used - I don't want to put additional weight on the people who might be interested in this. If there's absolutely no other acceptable way then I guess I'll just use Orpheu.
You could do it, it would be unhookable by other plugins and may not catch 3rd party plugins modifications (anything). Also, CS' TraceAttack it's too different from HL's ones.

By other way, by just looking at the engine there's no way to reproduce *MultiDamage by other functions, you must use Orpheu, anyway I don't see any problem. You could use Okapi since Orpheu it's half broken on last updates.