Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun' (15 Sep 2007) [Important News: July 2008]

Post New Thread Reply   

el hippo
Old 05-13-2007 , 17:43   Re: Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun' (11 May 2007)
Reply With Quote #71

Did you configure everything in grabber_config.txt? I dropped support for grabber_users and grabber_mode since using cvars for admin access configuration is kind of hacky.

Specifically, look in the Configuration->users section in grabber_config.txt. There are two examples on how to add all users access and specific user access via steamid.

As for the crashing: Are you using any extraneously complex maps that contain huge amounts of entities? I had problems with this before but thought I fixed the problem in a later version. Also, are you querying the grabber_version cvar? Doing so will crash the plugin in linux due to an odd bug in either the plugin or the makefile I am using. I am trying to get this fixed ASAP.

Note that the cvar bug in linux also causes random crashes when shutting down the server. Other than that, I was not able to force the plugin to crash in any other circumstances during my 2 month test of the plugin on various linux and windows servers.

Hippo
Old 05-13-2007 , 17:53   Re: Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun'
Reply With Quote #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslice View Post
Very nice.. I spy EntMod: Source
No, but here's a video of something similar in the real Ent Mod: Source.
http://www.sourceop.com/promo/SourceOP_PhysGun.avi
and one featuring CSS
http://www.sourceop.com/promo/SourceOP_PhysGun_CSS.avi
Ravager01
Old 05-13-2007 , 18:09   Re: Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun' (11 May 2007)
Reply With Quote #73

Actually, the first time I encountered this bug, ReplacePhysics was set to 0. I have it in use on two zombiemod servers only. Any props that are normally movable using weapons, that are moved using grabmod, basically turn deadly to everyone..

Last edited by Ravager01; 05-13-2007 at 18:13.
el hippo
Old 05-13-2007 , 18:16   Re: Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun' (11 May 2007)
Reply With Quote #74

Ravanger,
Hmm. Maybe I was confused when I tested this. I believe this issue has to do with the velocity not being reset back to 0 when the object is released and stops moving. In other words, the object is left in an unstable 'vibrating' mode which causes people to be tossed or hit really hard (which in essence kills them). I'll see if I can correctly calculate when an object hits the ground and reset its velocity.

Drunken,
Thats pretty neat. I assume you are using something like the Weld in the SDK to actually simulate the physics gravity correctly at grab / attach point. Either that or you do something way more intense then I could even comprehend.

Is there a public download link to your amazing plugin? I totally want to try this out (and with your permission, I would like to attempt to reproduce the physics grab point stuff). Other than that, I believe that all the ent mod related stuff should be left to you since you made EntMod for HL1.

Hippo

Last edited by el hippo; 05-13-2007 at 18:20.
Drunken F00l
Old 05-13-2007 , 18:22   Re: Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun' (11 May 2007)
Reply With Quote #75

Hippo,

Thanks for the complement. +karma for you.
I'm not sure what the Weld is that you're talking about, but the physics is just controlled from a vphysics motion controller (physenv->CreateMotionController) with the grabbed object attached to the controller.
The plugin is not complete yet and will be released, at first, all together with SourceOP. SourceOP includes more than just an entity modifier. If you are interested, you can learn more at http://www.sourceop.com.
I don't mind if you try to reproduce the effect -- it's not like I own it.
Ravager01
Old 05-13-2007 , 19:49   Re: Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun' (11 May 2007)
Reply With Quote #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by el hippo View Post
Ravanger,
Hmm. Maybe I was confused when I tested this. I believe this issue has to do with the velocity not being reset back to 0 when the object is released and stops moving. In other words, the object is left in an unstable 'vibrating' mode which causes people to be tossed or hit really hard (which in essence kills them). I'll see if I can correctly calculate when an object hits the ground and reset its velocity.
Thank you.

Oh, and nice typo on my name there.
Switchie
Old 05-13-2007 , 19:54   Re: Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun' (11 May 2007)
Reply With Quote #77

"Note that there is nothing I can do with props dynamically generated by mods / plugins. I may add in a filter to filter out these kinds of entities, but this can take a while since I am busy trying to add on stuff (mainly vehicle spawning)."

vehicle spawning lol

nice work , keep it up

beginning to look like garry mod :p

+karma for you.
Old 05-17-2007 , 19:26   Re: Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun' (11 May 2007)
Reply With Quote #78

Wow Hippo!

This is awsome, spawning funny stuff

Can you add more stuff to spawn? Like the vending machines?

Great creation, love it!
el hippo
Old 05-18-2007 , 00:19   Re: Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun' (11 May 2007)
Reply With Quote #79

Yeap. You can up to about 100 - 150 models in the spawn list. I capped the value to reduce memory usage and make sure people don't try to precache way too many models.

So all you need to do is follow the examples in the grabber_config.txt file to find out how to add new models.

Generally, an entry would look like:

"/models/blah/dog/cat/mymodel.mdl" "mymodel,cat,dog"

Note the second parameter is used to allow shortcuts to spawning models. Instead of remembering "grab_spawn 9", where 9 is a random index, you would use "grab_spawn dog".

Hippo
Old 05-19-2007 , 06:33   Re: Entity Grabber / 'Gravity Gun' (11 May 2007)
Reply With Quote #80

Could you please explain how to use this flag?

"SameTeamAccessOnly" "0" // Allow only people on the same team to move items

I've set this to 1, CT, T and anything else I could think of and both sides CT(humans) and T(zombies) can use the grabber. It sounds like this flag would be used to limit grabber abilities to a certain side but for the life of me I can not get it work =x Also, I made sure I was not flagged as an admin when I tested this.