Old 02-09-2009 , 12:17   Re: "Failed to load plugin..."
Reply With Quote #11

GameInfo.txt

Thanks,
- Chris
BAILOPAN
Old 02-09-2009 , 14:40   Re: "Failed to load plugin..."
Reply With Quote #12

If you're getting that message, it means the VDF is in the "addons" folder instead of the "addons/metamod" folder. It's important that Metamod is the tool trying to read it and not the Source engine.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-09-2009 , 15:00   Re: "Failed to load plugin..."
Reply With Quote #13

Oh my god!
Thanks, I thought it's only important that the plugin itself is in the metamod folder. Now it works - with both methods - nice

@ Bail: You postet:
Quote:
How to loadplugins as both a MM:S and a Valve Server Plugin?
Is it possible to compile a MM:S plugin into Metamod to load it as an VSP or what do you mean by that? Because I need the MM:S functionility for my plugin otherwise it is useless

Thanks,
- Chris
BAILOPAN
Old 02-09-2009 , 17:45   Re: "Failed to load plugin..."
Reply With Quote #14

It's "possible" in extremely big quotation marks, if you embed the sourcehook library yourself and whatnot. I don't recommend it because multiple copies of SH vying for control ends badly. For example, es_tools embeds SourceHook and crashes when used with SourceMod - and there's nothing we can do.
Old 02-09-2009 , 20:18   Re: "Failed to load plugin..."
Reply With Quote #15

I embed sourcehook in my VSP plugin, but I also release a SMM version so there are no conflicts. Why don't they have SMM versions of theirs?
Chrisber
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-10-2009 , 09:30   Re: "Failed to load plugin..."
Reply With Quote #16

Ok, thanks for your information.
It's allowed to do that by license?

Thanks,
- Chris
BAILOPAN
Old 02-10-2009 , 13:57   Re: "Failed to load plugin..."
Reply With Quote #17

The MM:S and SourceHook licenses are very permissive, yes. I just don't recommend trying to subvert our intents with Metamod:Source, in that we think plugins in the community should work together.
Veteran Member
Old 02-10-2009 , 18:15   Re: "Failed to load plugin..."
Reply With Quote #18

It would probably be best to do like Mani did. Release a version with SH compiled in for non-MMS servers and an MMS version for MMS servers. You should be able to run Mani, SM, and ES Tools then with no problems since one instance of SourceHook would be managing all of the hooks (although I can't think of a single reason why you should ever run all three).
BAILOPAN
Old 02-10-2009 , 22:51   Re: "Failed to load plugin..."
Reply With Quote #19

LDuke, in fact the entire problem is that embedding SH in a VSP results in multiple copies of SourceHook, which is bad. More than one instance of anything vying for power over a virtual table slot does not play out nicely.

Thinking in terms of "oh one will swap the index out, and call the old, and they chain" is appeasing but too simple and SourceHook is more complex than that. SourceHook can shuffle vtable entries around at any time (hookmanagers can be dropped or their hook count can drop to 0). If this happens in a different order than they were originally swapped (very easy to imagine), they will have conflicted and the state will be irreversible. Not to mention, SourceHook in the first place can't even read the virtual table back to see who owns what. The solution to this problem, of course, is Metamod:Source ;)

Though, re-reading your post, perhaps you meant "one instance" as in, the same source code with a single point of compile-time branching logic.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 02-10-2009 at 23:01.
Chrisber
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-11-2009 , 09:42   Re: "Failed to load plugin..."
Reply With Quote #20

Yes, LDuke idea's good. Is there no way to check wether a instance of SH is already running and if yes, it displays a message and says: "Please load the MM:S version of BLA" and then unload the VSP. So there couldn't be a copy of SH?! Or it's not possible to unload a instance out of memory?

Thanks,
- Chris