Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]

Post New Thread Reply   

Svenskaren12322
Old 01-13-2019 , 02:39   Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, I've made my own surf server which is currently only running surf_kitsune because I've ran into some issues. I've made my own ftp server on a side computer that I'm not currently using. I've set everything up correctly (I think). Since I can access it from the web and view the files and download them, although it is secured by a user, which has a password, I don't know if that matters? However, I can't seem to get it to work because when i put it as my sv_downloadurl it doesnt work. I've tried different varieties such as ftp://FTPDOWNLOAD:1@**.***.**.***/csgo, whereas FTPDOWNLOAD is the username and 1 is the password. I've tried just the IP, ftp://**.***.**.***/csgo etc. I have therefore turned here because I believe most of you guys are more experienced than me and are possibly able to help me out. Thanks
8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-13-2019 , 03:21   Re: Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]
Reply With Quote #2

Use http don't use ftp
Old 01-13-2019 , 03:32   Re: Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8guawong View Post
Use http don't use ftp
Like this? http://**.***.**.***/csgo

Cause that doesnt work, tried that already
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 01-13-2019 , 05:36   Re: Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenskaren12322 View Post
Like this? http://**.***.**.***/csgo

Cause that doesnt work, tried that already
Most likely because as you indicated in #1 as well as the thread title, you set up an FTP server.

An FTP server isn't capable of speaking HTTP(S), so if you didn't also set up a web ("HTTP") server, you won't be able to use HTTP(S) unless you install something else that takes care of that.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Svenskaren12322
Old 01-13-2019 , 10:42   Re: Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
Most likely because as you indicated in #1 as well as the thread title, you set up an FTP server.

An FTP server isn't capable of speaking HTTP(S), so if you didn't also set up a web ("HTTP") server, you won't be able to use HTTP(S) unless you install something else that takes care of that.
Where do I go about doing this, is this something easy or does this need intense years of experience? Cause I thought I just made a downloadable website since anyone can access it from anywhere with the right username and password. With that meaning, it would work for csgo, so I thought. Where would I go about doing this, mind linking a page that could explain further?
8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-13-2019 , 11:21   Re: Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]
Reply With Quote #6

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+set+up+a+web+server
Old 01-13-2019 , 11:21   Re: Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Where do I go about doing this, is this something easy or does this need intense years of experience? Cause I thought I just made a downloadable website since anyone can access it from anywhere with the right username and password. With that meaning, it would work for csgo, so I thought. Where would I go about doing this, mind linking a page that could explain further?
Things such as Apache, nginx, etc. are able to do what you want, however, configuration can be quite advanced - although it usually doesn't require several decades of experience to figure out things, it depends more on your capability to pull yourself in to new things, so if you can find out how to follow the documentation, make a few Google searches if necessary, etc., then it shouldn't really be that much of a problem.

Neuro Toxin has recently released .Net FastDL Server which could eventually be the a "simple solution".

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Svenskaren12322
Old 01-13-2019 , 13:25   Re: Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
Things such as Apache, nginx, etc. are able to do what you want, however, configuration can be quite advanced - although it usually doesn't require several decades of experience to figure out things, it depends more on your capability to pull yourself in to new things, so if you can find out how to follow the documentation, make a few Google searches if necessary, etc., then it shouldn't really be that much of a problem.

Neuro Toxin has recently released .Net FastDL Server which could eventually be the a "simple solution".
Thanks for the answer, I've downloaded XAMPP because that's what most people recommend using for making a web server (On youtube at least), but there are still things that I quite don't understand and I cannot find a good answer to this, What does FTP, HTTP and FastDL have in common and how do I combine them? This probably sounds better in my head. But I've set up the web server so it opens up a website when I type "localhost" into my browser, I guess I'll have to open some ports to make it publicly accessible but that will be for last. I just don't understand how FTP is used together with this web I've just made.
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 01-13-2019 , 15:04   Re: Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]
Reply With Quote #9

You might use FTP to upload files to your HTTP server.

FastDL is simply a HTTP service which follows your games directory structure to allow downloading at a much faster rate compared to downloads via the SRCDS server itself..

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sv_downloadurl

Last edited by Neuro Toxin; 01-13-2019 at 15:06.
detc
Old 01-14-2019 , 10:36   Re: Problems with FTP server [CS:GO]
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Thanks for the answer, I've downloaded XAMPP because that's what most people recommend using for making a web server (On youtube at least), but there are still things that I quite don't understand and I cannot find a good answer to this, What does FTP, HTTP and FastDL have in common and how do I combine them? This probably sounds better in my head. But I've set up the web server so it opens up a website when I type "localhost" into my browser, I guess I'll have to open some ports to make it publicly accessible but that will be for last. I just don't understand how FTP is used together with this web I've just made.
Running a web server off your home connection is inadvisable for a lot of reasons, namely security, anonymity and protection from your ISP (which will take note of the huge jump in traffic over port 80/443 and either tell you to knock it off or try to force you into a business internet plan). You can find a lot of options for a managed VPS for <$10 a month with a Google search, trying to DIY it opens you to a lot of annoyance and potential harm.

E: To answer the actual question, FTP and HTTP/S are protocols used by various technologies to communicate. They operate very differently and even though both can be accessed via URL it doesn't mean the underlying ways they communicate are compatible with one another. As far as running a FastDL is concerned, you'd use FTP to upload the maps you want to a folder that the HTTP server can see and then put the http:// address in the sv_downloadurl. When clients connect, they're pointed to that HTTP address and their client fetches the required maps/models/materials/whatever.

Last edited by detc; 01-14-2019 at 10:44.