Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
stupok
Veteran Member
Old 04-29-2010 , 23:40   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
How is this possible? What proof do you have that a server is not using or has not used a SteamID replacer?
That's a good point. Do you have any ideas? For example, I might accept reports from server admins that I know personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicenull View Post
You still have yet to provide me with a use other then screwing with banlists.
What are the uses of a name-changing plugin?

You can use it to distinguish the admins or special people on your server. You can give yourself and friends novelty steamids. You can also use it to hide your steamid from other players. There are many good uses, if you have some imagination. The fact that it can ease screwing with banlists is coincidental. It's the fault of the SteamBans authors for using an unreliable report, not the fault of users who decide to change their steamids.

First you created a big system that relies on unreliable reports, hoping that no one finds out how unreliable they are. Now you're upset that the reports have been shown to be completely unreliable.

Censoring Joaquim's plugin does you no good at all. I believe it will do you harm when users start finding out the hard way that steamid reports are totally unreliable.

I don't mean to upset you or to be harsh. I realize that SteamBans is a project you care about. I'm just trying to be realistic and honest.