Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Rules for cellphone tracking by police in Colorado unclear

Post New Thread Reply   

Willis
BANNED
Old 01-30-2012 , 21:08   Rules for cellphone tracking by police in Colorado unclear
Reply With Quote #1

The two men who pointed a gun at the owner of a Lakewood convenience store and emptied the cash register Dec. 28 took one item too many as they fled: the victim's iPhone.

By the following day, a team of Lakewood and Denver cops had one of the suspects in custody after AT&T sent investigators updates every 15 minutes showing the device's location in a 29th Avenue apartment, according to police documents.

As cellphone tracking becomes a more effective and relied-upon step in building and bolstering criminal cases, the practice has pitted law enforcement seeking effective ways to solve cases against privacy advocates worried about turning the ever-present cellphone against its owner.

At the heart of the debate is how police and prosecutors obtain information on a cell user's whereabouts. Should they be required, for example, to show fact-based probable cause, the standard that must be met to obtain a search warrant, to gather that information from service providers — or meet some lower standard?

The U.S. Supreme Court last week jolted the legal community when five of nine justices indicated that using cellphones to track people's movements in real time without a search warrant could violate Fourth Amendment protections against unlawful search and seizure.
Send a message via AIM to Willis Send a message via Skype™ to Willis
rx1983
Old 02-03-2012 , 22:07   Re: Rules for cellphone tracking by police in Colorado unclear
Reply With Quote #2

I do not want to live in the U.S., is a prison without walls, everywhere people are watched. and there is no freedom at all.
poor countries rich ...
Veteran Member
Old 02-03-2012 , 22:15   Re: Rules for cellphone tracking by police in Colorado unclear
Reply With Quote #3

I rather live here then in South America.
P4rD0nM3
Veteran Member
Old 02-03-2012 , 23:39   Re: Rules for cellphone tracking by police in Colorado unclear
Reply With Quote #4

Cala boca rx.

I'm fine with them tracking me. They can even watch me take a shit. I don't really care if people watch me or not. I got nothing to hide. If you don't want this shit to happen. Vote for Ron Paul. Wuhoo!
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 02-03-2012 , 23:57   Re: Rules for cellphone tracking by police in Colorado unclear
Reply With Quote #5

If the police get consent of the cell phone's owner then I would be all for it.