Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[REQ] Auto Upload Logs to an external FTP

Post New Thread Reply   

sessus
Old 05-24-2008 , 23:31   [REQ] Auto Upload Logs to an external FTP
Reply With Quote #1

The Idea: Have a plugin upload the logs from the server running the plugin to an external FTP server. The upload should just be performed once daily and only include the relevant log-file (it would be great if the path for this could be altered, e.g. choose either the SM specific logs [$/addons/sourcemod/logs] or the logs for the entire server [$/logs]), which shows all the activities that were performed on the server for the day.

The reason behind it: Just to provide a chance for admins to check over activity of other admins and/or follow up complaints from clients that claim not have spammed etc. after having been banned from the server.
teddyruxpin
Overseer of lost packets
Old 05-25-2008 , 04:07   Re: [REQ] Auto Upload Logs to an external FTP
Reply With Quote #2

IMHO you are better off using a crontab + rsync or a Scheduled Task + rsync to complete this task. Not really something I would see SourceMod doing as it is more of a system level task.

What OS are you running on I may already have an rsync / ftp shell script you can use. If you are using a Linux based OS you can also use 'grep|sed|awk' to quickly sort out the logs and scrape out the admin bits only.

-Teddy
ottobohn
Old 05-25-2008 , 10:16   Re: [REQ] Auto Upload Logs to an external FTP
Reply With Quote #3

I agree with Teddy. The only option after this would be having the logs go directly into a mysql database remotely.

otto
sessus
Old 05-26-2008 , 10:58   Re: [REQ] Auto Upload Logs to an external FTP
Reply With Quote #4

I run a box w/ the latest Debian release.

Thx for your tips. Any chance you'd be able to post those scripts here?
teddyruxpin
Overseer of lost packets
Old 05-27-2008 , 16:26   Re: [REQ] Auto Upload Logs to an external FTP
Reply With Quote #5

Are you familiar with how to use 'ssh-keys'? If so check out this article and replace the 'DynaVol' with your remote linux host of choice. You will only need to have rsync with ssh shell access working and not the full rsyncd install.

Article here: http://ms.layeredtech.com/blog/blog/.../#comment-3594

Sample Script here:

http://ms.layeredtech.com/blog/downl...cbackup.sh.txt

You are mostly concerned about the backup dirs at the bottom. Change them to the locations of your log files on the host being backed up and it will replicate them every day at X time that you specify and only copy the data that has changed and not all data like FTP would. Saving you some b/w.

-Teddy
maitredede
Old 06-02-2008 , 18:27   Re: [REQ] Auto Upload Logs to an external FTP
Reply With Quote #6

I +1 for mysql...

But, I think about the FTP idea is great too : I can't SSH to my rented servers...

So using the socket extension, someone can create a FTP extension to allow file upload...

But I prefere mysql logging...