12% 

[Any] Paranoia IP Tracker

Post New Thread Reply   

DoPe^
Veteran Member
Old 04-29-2012 , 20:14   Re: [Any] Paranoia IP Tracker
Reply With Quote #21

nvm

Last edited by DoPe^; 04-30-2012 at 08:07.
pvkii
Old 05-08-2012 , 04:25   Re: [Any] Paranoia IP Tracker
Reply With Quote #22

I am having the same problem as others before, I can`t get the databases.cfg entry right, can you tell me how it should look like? please?
what to use instead of sqlite?

Last edited by pvkii; 05-08-2012 at 12:16.
Jim E. Rustler
BANNED
Old 07-19-2012 , 19:45   Re: [Any] Paranoia IP Tracker
Reply With Quote #23

Warning: Using this plugin will keep you from dropping the database later on if you choose to no longer use it. This is because it writes an UTF-8 Unicode English text file named "ips" in /var/lib/mysql/paranoiaip.

Code:
ERROR 1010 (HY000): Error dropping database (can't rmdir './paranoiaip/', errno: 17)
What I had to do to successfully drop the database was login via root and manually remove the "ips" file from /var/lib/mysql/paranoiaip then I was able to drop the database at the mysql command line.
DarthNinja
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 07-19-2012 , 23:11   Re: [Any] Paranoia IP Tracker
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. Rustler View Post
Warning: Using this plugin will keep you from dropping the database later on if you choose to no longer use it. This is because it writes an UTF-8 Unicode English text file named "ips" in /var/lib/mysql/paranoiaip.

Code:
ERROR 1010 (HY000): Error dropping database (can't rmdir './paranoiaip/', errno: 17)
What I had to do to successfully drop the database was login via root and manually remove the "ips" file from /var/lib/mysql/paranoiaip then I was able to drop the database at the mysql command line.
Your database server wrote that file, not this plugin.
Old 07-20-2012 , 00:54   Re: [Any] Paranoia IP Tracker
Reply With Quote #25

I fail to see the idea behind this plugin.

DDoS (Distributed denial of service) attacks come from more than 1 IP, and 99% of the time, the attacker isn't part of the botnet. Also, this would only ban him from the server, making him more incline to attack your server.

Now, if this was used in conjunction with IPTables (Linux), then it would be good.
Veteran Member
Old 07-20-2012 , 08:48   Re: [Any] Paranoia IP Tracker
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson View Post
I fail to see the idea behind this plugin.

DDoS (Distributed denial of service) attacks come from more than 1 IP, and 99% of the time, the attacker isn't part of the botnet. Also, this would only ban him from the server, making him more incline to attack your server.

Now, if this was used in conjunction with IPTables (Linux), then it would be good.
1) This is just an IP Tracker and doesn't do anything it doesn't say on the box.

2) Yes, DDoS's would come from multiple IPs, but we're talking about a single IP here, e.g. DoS.
Old 07-20-2012 , 10:55   Re: [Any] Paranoia IP Tracker
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11530 View Post
1) This is just an IP Tracker and doesn't do anything it doesn't say on the box.

2) Yes, DDoS's would come from multiple IPs, but we're talking about a single IP here, e.g. DoS.
A DoS wouldn't take down a server, the only effective DoS is slowloris, and that's for websites running apache; sure, you can count some lag exploits as a DoS, but if you can block AS2/ASA command and other various lag exploits, then there's no need to track IPs.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 07-20-2012 , 10:59   Re: [Any] Paranoia IP Tracker
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
A DoS wouldn't take down a server, the only effective DoS is slowloris, and that's for websites running apache; sure, you can count some lag exploits as a DoS, but if you can block AS2/ASA command and other various lag exploits, then there's no need to track IPs.
Excuse me? I'm sure there are plenty of vulnerabilities in SRCDS that people can take advantage of to bring down the server. Remember listdeaths?
Old 07-20-2012 , 12:55   Re: [Any] Paranoia IP Tracker
Reply With Quote #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
Excuse me? I'm sure there are plenty of vulnerabilities in SRCDS that people can take advantage of to bring down the server. Remember listdeaths?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
sure, you can count some lag exploits as a DoS, but if you can block AS2/ASA command and other various lag exploits, then there's no need to track IPs.
I personally don't count lag exploits as "DoS's" or "DDoS's", considering they're not. They're exploits, and there's plenty of plugins to stop it, and logging IPaddresses won't help it. Anything can be used for evil, hell, I can write a DoS script in SourcePAWN.

My point to all of this is, is that DoS's won't ever stop, nor will they take down a server, and this plugin, although good, won't stop it. Lag exploits/exploits in general can, and will, however.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 07-20-2012 , 14:36   Re: [Any] Paranoia IP Tracker
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
I personally don't count lag exploits as "DoS's" or "DDoS's", considering they're not. They're exploits, and there's plenty of plugins to stop it, and logging IPaddresses won't help it. Anything can be used for evil, hell, I can write a DoS script in SourcePAWN.

My point to all of this is, is that DoS's won't ever stop, nor will they take down a server, and this plugin, although good, won't stop it. Lag exploits/exploits in general can, and will, however.
The listdeaths exploit did in fact crash the server.

Lag exploits are denying service, so they're DoS attacks.

Sure, you can write a DoS script in SourcePawn. Good luck uploading that to a server you want to attack though.

This plugin exists to log IP addresses. Nothing more, nothing less. If you don't think it's useful, don't use it.