server binds key for player

Post New Thread Reply   

ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 09-24-2013 , 14:15   Re: Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerMan780 View Post
They generally should by name. If it's a 4-year-old who doesn't know what Unbindall is, then they really shouldn't be playing a source-engine game, as they are all M-Rated as far as I know.
I know that this is a little off topic, but... please don't give any implied authority to the ESRB. They are a privately owned organization with their own morals and agenda, and I'm fairly certain that no law exists that regulates the sale or gameplay of video games based on ESRB ratings. (Video game stores CHOOSE to not sell M-rated games to children, and the industry CHOOSES to adhere to their advertising standards.)

Further, not everyone here lives in the United States. And often, the ESRB has disagreements on ratings with their foreign equivalents (such as Japan's CERO or Europe's PEGI.)
Old 09-25-2013 , 09:38   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #52

Being honest is the ideal, but when there is a potential for profit, some people will ALWAYS do malicious things or abuse aformentioned mechanics. Why not bind all of their fkeys to connect to said servers, via some annoying script? Why not sell fake hats for money? Even if they do blacklist you, you can just make a new server, and start again, and make more money, and abuse more people. This already does happen, and it sucks.

It would be better if servers long established and on good behavior could be whitelisted... apply for registration, and get elevated privilages. Like.. It would be pretty nice to give ff2 bosses weapons that show up easily.. Or hats.. Etc, and other stuff to this effect.

Last edited by friagram; 09-25-2013 at 09:40.
napalm00
Veteran Member
Old 09-26-2013 , 06:40   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Being honest is the ideal, but when there is a potential for profit, some people will ALWAYS do malicious things or abuse aformentioned mechanics. Why not bind all of their fkeys to connect to said servers, via some annoying script? Why not sell fake hats for money? Even if they do blacklist you, you can just make a new server, and start again, and make more money, and abuse more people. This already does happen, and it sucks.

It would be better if servers long established and on good behavior could be whitelisted... apply for registration, and get elevated privilages. Like.. It would be pretty nice to give ff2 bosses weapons that show up easily.. Or hats.. Etc, and other stuff to this effect.
Nah, it's better to have to work around Valve's patches, makes you learn new stuff and feels more rewarding overall.
Old 09-26-2013 , 11:32   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #54

Mabye, or you could instead divert that wasted time.. And do things that others would actualy notice/use/benefit from in the long run... Like more maps/models/textures/mods... Etc.

I hope source engine 2 has an actual api for making mods/plugins. Hell, even unreal 99 and quake had this if i recall.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-26-2013 , 11:48   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Mabye, or you could instead divert that wasted time.. And do things that others would actualy notice/use/benefit from in the long run... Like more maps/models/textures/mods... Etc.

I hope source engine 2 has an actual api for making mods/plugins. Hell, even unreal 99 and quake had this if i recall.
Last I checked, ut99 and quake used server-side game mods... which is what the VSP system is supposed to do. Unfortunately, Valve Server Plugins are extremely restricted as to what they can do. Which is why MetaMod: Source and SourceMod exist.

Meanwhile, L4D2 has a more freeform system called the Expanded Mutation System, but Valve hasn't incorporated it into any other games.

Last edited by Powerlord; 09-26-2013 at 11:54.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 09-28-2013 , 10:26   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Last I checked, ut99 and quake used server-side game mods... which is what the VSP system is supposed to do. Unfortunately, Valve Server Plugins are extremely restricted as to what they can do. Which is why MetaMod: Source and SourceMod exist.

Meanwhile, L4D2 has a more freeform system called the Expanded Mutation System, but Valve hasn't incorporated it into any other games.
2004 .. 2005 2007...

That's okay. Don't think about it, just do it.

Last edited by friagram; 09-28-2013 at 10:28. Reason: Oh, and have fun.