Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

SetParentAttachment causing issues

Post New Thread Reply   

CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 01-20-2010 , 11:01   SetParentAttachment causing issues
Reply With Quote #1

I am parenting a prop_dynamic_override to a player which works fine, but when I use SetParentAttachment, it causes some weird issues in CSS such as crouching and jumping make the player shaky. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Those issues are not present when SetParentAttachment is not used.
toazron1
Old 01-20-2010 , 11:51   Re: SetParentAttachment causing issues
Reply With Quote #2

It sounds like the models are colliding with each other. I know prop hunt has a similar issue when crouching or in a corner, you could try changing the collisions
Veteran Member
Old 01-20-2010 , 11:59   Re: SetParentAttachment causing issues
Reply With Quote #3

I was having a problem initially with the player not being able to move. Once I disabled collisions through AcceptEntityInput(ent, "DisableCollision"); it worked fine and they could move, so I wouldn't think it would be a collision problem. At the same time I guess it could really be anything. Hoping someone else has had this problem before as im too sleepy to start turning off props one by one.
blodia
Veteran Member
Old 01-20-2010 , 12:11   Re: SetParentAttachment causing issues
Reply With Quote #4

toazron1 is right the models are colliding with each other, i had the same problems years ago when i was coding a ctf mod in es, i changed the collision group of the flag when it was parented and put it back to default when it was dropped or at base.
bl4nk
SourceMod Developer
Old 01-20-2010 , 15:33   Re: SetParentAttachment causing issues
Reply With Quote #5

Hook the CBaseEntity::ShouldCollide function and deal with it there (assuming you're not going for just a plugin-only thing).
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 01-20-2010 , 15:45   Re: SetParentAttachment causing issues
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4nk View Post
Hook the CBaseEntity::ShouldCollide function and deal with it there (assuming you're not going for just a plugin-only thing).
Well I WAS...

Im using SDKHooks to make my life easier, but I guess I could hack it up and throw in a hook.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 01-20-2010 , 18:18   Re: SetParentAttachment causing issues
Reply With Quote #7

Thanks for the help, I decided to print out all of the netprops as it had to be one of them. It was the m_nSolidType causing the issues. So for anyone experiencing this issue...

AcceptEntityInput(ent, "DisableCollision");

in conjunction with...

SetEntProp(ent, Prop_Send, "m_nSolidType", 0);

is what is required to prevent that shaky crap.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2010 , 09:30   Re: SetParentAttachment causing issues
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4nk View Post
Seems I cant make it not solid AND react to Touch() hook since it is using a bounding box. Although if anyone knows of a way to do so please let me know. I know it works for models with a collision mesh, but this one doesn't so bounding box is my only option.

Gonna probably just give in after class and add ShouldCollide to SDKHooks.
blodia
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2010 , 11:39   Re: SetParentAttachment causing issues
Reply With Quote #9

if you don't mind me asking are you trying to code a ctf mod? i remember in a another thread you mentioning flag models. if so you can use env_beam as a tripwire (found out by mattie of es) instead of trying to use ontouch. also for my own ctf mod i used a physics prop instead of dynamic so when a player died the flag would fall to the ground.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2010 , 12:40   Re: SetParentAttachment causing issues
Reply With Quote #10

Yeah I am, its a job I am doing for someone. I wish I could use a physics prop, but it won't work since this model has no collision mesh. (Its the same one from the ES version) The tripwire isn't a bad idea, but I think it would be easier to just make a ShouldCollide hook, after all maybe someone else will need it in the future.

This is the last time I ever do a game mode mod in sourcepawn, I absolutely hate trying to manage one without OOP, gets me flustered and annoyed lol.