Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Very Basic High Ping Kicker (Updated 7/15/10)

Post New Thread Reply   

Pulseczar
Old 07-08-2009 , 12:28   Re: Very Basic High Ping Kicker
Reply With Quote #61

Why kick players who are lagging? The server doesn't wait for players lagging. (This isn't StarCraft or something.) It continues on. It does not cause the rest of the players to lag.

The only reason I could see is to keep poorly performing players out of the game, especially where it really matters, like in L4D, but players have the ability to vote kick. So, I don't see the point.

Lagging players are already screwed over enough. Why kick them too?
muukis
Veteran Member
Old 07-09-2009 , 03:24   Re: Very Basic High Ping Kicker
Reply With Quote #62

Quote:
Why kick players who are lagging?
For one thing... To me in worst case they start warping and they don't seem to register the obvious hits other players register. They might usually perform bad, but I still hate the warping.

Some people say that it infects the server behavior if one or more players are having bad pings. I don't know if that's true though.
Raptor10
Old 07-14-2009 , 11:37   Re: Very Basic High Ping Kicker
Reply With Quote #63

Hi all, This is a very nice and precise plugin but I got just one error: my set up is sm_vbping_maxwarnings "1" but I can see into logs that the plugin is making always 2 or 3 warnings..

Why that ?

thanks
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 08-14-2009 , 01:37   Re: Very Basic High Ping Kicker
Reply With Quote #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivailosp View Post
line 288 need to be change form

to
Doh. Thanks, this will be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xp3r7 View Post
I made a "Ping" group and have the flags as "bo" (b being generic admin and o being CUSTOM1) and immunity set at 1.

He is still getting warnings and being kicked.
This is because of the above issue. Again, this will be fixed shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulseczar View Post
Why kick players who are lagging?
People with high ping often bounce around and are difficult to hit, and/or can cause higher pings for all players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor10 View Post
Hi all, This is a very nice and precise plugin but I got just one error: my set up is sm_vbping_maxwarnings "1" but I can see into logs that the plugin is making always 2 or 3 warnings..

Why that ?

thanks
I'll look into this. Can you paste your log output where you are seeing this? Thanks.

I will make these fixes as soon as I can. I will test them as soon as TF2 is updated and working properly.
Old 08-14-2009 , 09:04   Re: Very Basic High Ping Kicker
Reply With Quote #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
People with high ping often bounce around and are difficult to hit, and/or can cause higher pings for all players.
That's a very good point about them being difficult to hit, but I have never seen any evidence of a lagging player causing other players to lag in an FPS game. I challenge you to provide some evidence for that.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 08-14-2009 , 16:10   Re: Very Basic High Ping Kicker
Reply With Quote #66

I don't need evidence. It's up to individual server admins to decide whether or not they want high-ping players on their servers. If you have consistently high pings, either get better internet or play on servers located closer to you.
Old 08-14-2009 , 20:04   Re: Very Basic High Ping Kicker
Reply With Quote #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
I don't need evidence. It's up to individual server admins to decide whether or not they want high-ping players on their servers. If you have consistently high pings, either get better internet or play on servers located closer to you.
You made the claim that lagging players can cause other players to lag, and I just wanted to know how you knew that was the case.

I'll tell you that I have a very good internet connection, since you brought it up.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 08-15-2009 , 00:22   Re: Very Basic High Ping Kicker
Reply With Quote #68

I've seen first hand that when someone with a ping of 500 shows up, everyone's in the server ping goes up by 20-50 points as well. I thought stuff like that was pretty common knowledge, especially among server admins.
Old 08-15-2009 , 03:10   Re: Very Basic High Ping Kicker
Reply With Quote #69

I noticed that too (increasing ping on all players when lagger comes in), but i dont know if L4D ping depict exact values, so... im not sure on that matter.
Old 08-15-2009 , 04:25   Re: Very Basic High Ping Kicker
Reply With Quote #70

L4D is obviously different, you have 4-8 players at most, instead of 20+ like you do on most TF2 servers. We do not run this plugin at the F7Lans L4D servers, but it does work in L4D.