Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

View Poll Results: SourceMod Continuation?
Delay. I'd rather wait for you guys to make a very complete product. 25 37.88%
Use Small and make an AMX Mod X port. I still want SourceMod as soon as possible! 41 62.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Public Vote, Discussion Log

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

_KaszpiR_
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 03-24-2006 , 03:22  

hmm i thought there till b a third option, do #2 fast adn then do #1

i'm lost (maybe because of lack of beer )
for now i opt for #2
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 03-24-2006 , 03:30  

Personally I have to think about this in my mind before I go and vote.

On one hand: A New plugin system as described above where most functions are modular, there might be a noclip/godmode plugin/function for sourcemod, but if I don't want it I just turn it off. It works on a fairly 'old' and 'incomplete' and in some instances 'inadequate' architecture, but, it's one that's already known.

So in other words option 2 has it's positives, and it's negatives.

However, option one is more ideal (in my opinion), and in the long run being able to support your own coding structure and system is a bit easier than dealing with another one and waiting for their developers to fix something you knew how to fix weeks ago. Plus there are other potential benefits to both the individual developers of it (future job opportunities), and to the gaming community.

Oh and, CSS (and other HL2 games) attribute to 50% of the valve games that are being played (according to serverspy.net) and the total numbers still outweigh that of battlefield 2 and a few others, and those 'few others' have plugins being developed for them (though lacking and extremely limited)

But as a long time server administrator myself, and a very short role coding very simple plugins for AMXX, I would agree with KaszpiR, roll out a simple 'option 2' only do bug fixes and major feature requests while continuing working on option 1, while it makes for a longer development time, it may be worth it.

Yeah yeah, there's probably a lot I don't entirely understand, I'd like to read the logs (and I will) but it's 30 AM I'm tired, I'm going to sleep.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
tcviper
Veteran Member
Old 03-24-2006 , 03:56  

Option nr.2 for me and my team!
Send a message via MSN to tcviper
hondaman
Old 03-24-2006 , 06:56  

I know how much of a perfectionist you guys are, and If SM gets put off to rewrite everything from scratch to produce your "pefect code" I'm afraid nothing will ever get released.

How many projects have you scrapped already because of your quest for the "perfect code"

Too many HL coders are in it for the coding glory, when all the server admins want are functional, useful, and yes, fast plugins and mods. Mani single-handedly rescued the entire CS:S community with his plugin. Some would argue that its not as elegant as maybe it COULD be, but thats not the point. The point is that its something admins can use NOW.
tcviper
Veteran Member
Old 03-24-2006 , 09:25  

Yes, awesome work MANI!
Send a message via MSN to tcviper
BAILOPAN
Old 03-24-2006 , 17:38  

Snipped lunatic_00's post. Whether intended as a flame or not -- it was a flame, as well as wrong, stupid, misleading, and misinformed, and it wasn't pertinent to the discussion. If you have a specific problem with something, feel free to discuss it on IRC or with me in private, but the forums stay clean.
Old 03-24-2006 , 17:53  

I have tried all along. But I will refrain.
This is your site and you call the shots, I felt it was right on topic though.
c0ldfyr3
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-24-2006 , 18:45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
I know how much of a perfectionist you guys are, and If SM gets put off to rewrite everything from scratch to produce your "pefect code" I'm afraid nothing will ever get released.

How many projects have you scrapped already because of your quest for the "perfect code"

Too many HL coders are in it for the coding glory, when all the server admins want are functional, useful, and yes, fast plugins and mods. Mani single-handedly rescued the entire CS:S community with his plugin. Some would argue that its not as elegant as maybe it COULD be, but thats not the point. The point is that its something admins can use NOW.
I tried bringin this argument before the AdminMod group, they wouldn't listen. My feelings are release SOMETHING then work on fixing the problems. At least then the admins have a choice.
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 03-25-2006 , 08:41  

one more thing, i know the perfect code is very important, but frankly speaking why there are some nay programming lanugages? cause none of them is perfect

i understand you do not want to perform 'olo coding' in any way, but keeping unreleased code does not give any option to other developers or end users to react/help/moan.
knekter
Old 03-26-2006 , 16:14  

I will obv. vote for #1. Although for the community this might not be in the best interest, it is for the best interest overall. It is hard to look at this unless you are a programmer. #1 gives the option to easily port SourceMod to another "source" engine in the future. Something to remember as it might have been said before: You still have mani's admin plugins and others. You have waited 1 year already, will 1 more year really be that hard?

As usual, best regards to the Team and great work so far with MM:S. Best of luck in the future!
Closed Thread