Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb

Post New Thread Reply   

Seira
Old 10-31-2018 , 09:18   Re: How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
Do you have sv_steamgroup_exclusive 1in your cfg file? Also, how is everyone connecting?

I've had to use my own guide a couple of times to re-build my L4D2 server after re-imaging my physical server and it's worked each time. I'd also suggest going over each step again in detail and making sure you didn't miss something minor. If you still have issues after let me know.
Yes, I have it on my server.cfg file. I ask my friends to connect using connect cmd, I also tried to invite option but still, they can't connect. It's either full or failed after 10 tries. Also after updating some files using updated versions, now I can't invite ppl on my game. They can't see my server on Steam Group Server.

I followed each step on your tutorial at first then tried updating some files when they can't connect. Is it possible that the problem is in my network? Also, I noticed when there's a horde, my ping will go up to 100ms. I have a 25mbps fiber connection.
protivakid
Old 10-31-2018 , 09:28   Re: How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seira View Post
Yes, I have it on my server.cfg file. I ask my friends to connect using connect cmd, I also tried to invite option but still, they can't connect. It's either full or failed after 10 tries. Also after updating some files using updated versions, now I can't invite ppl on my game. They can't see my server on Steam Group Server.

I followed each step on your tutorial at first then tried updating some files when they can't connect. Is it possible that the problem is in my network? Also, I noticed when there's a horde, my ping will go up to 100ms. I have a 25mbps fiber connection.
Question, are your friends in the same physical location or are you all trying to connect over the internet to your server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinko View Post
edit2:
i managed to connect to my own server, ans ai managed to open a server with 8 slots after the update of l4gtoolz.

But still getting the following error:
Unknown command "sv_removehumanlimit"
Someone a idea. I cant test if more than 4 player can join right now. i need to wait until our lan, but if not it would be sad

edit1:
FOUND THE SOLUTION!
Update to this L4DToolZ version: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpo...postcount=1327
be sure to take the l4d2 files. works now Jippii
-perhaps a good idea to update the Tut

@protivakid

HEy i did everything like mentioned in your great Tut. BTW thx 4 that.
As soon as i start the server i can read teh following lines.

sv_maxplayers init error
sv_removehumanlimit init error
unreserved_ptr init error

i used your provided server.cfg, only changed sv_steamgroup_exclusive to 1 and changed the name of the server.

What the heck is the problem or is that a normal error promt?

Regards

Attached youll find the whole serverlog:
So those errors do not show when I start my server. They have to do with L4DToolZ. You mentioned you updated to a version not linked in my guide... perhaps that is the issue. What was preventing you from using the one I did link?
Seira
Old 10-31-2018 , 09:32   Re: How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Question, are your friends in the same physical location or are you all trying to connect over the internet to your server?
Both, some are from other countries (Indonesia, Malaysia) and some are from the same country (Philippines)
protivakid
Old 10-31-2018 , 09:39   Re: How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Both, some are from other countries (Indonesia, Malaysia) and some are from the same country (Philippines)
Sorry I should have been more clear, physical location as in your home on the same LAN? I should have mentioned it originally but I just added it to the guide that I have only tested my server in my LAN where all my friend's brought their PC's to my house. I have never tried with them connecting over the web. That is a whole other can of worms that could have its own set of issues.

My advice, spin up a regular L4D2 server without all of the mods and customizations that allow 5+players and see if they can connect to that. If not then you may need to start up a new thread asking for help with whatever issues you encounter. Once you get a clean basic server working, try the 5+ player mods again. If it still doesn't work come back here and I can try to help.
Seira
Old 10-31-2018 , 09:50   Re: How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Sorry I should have been more clear, physical location as in your home on the same LAN? I should have mentioned it originally but I just added it to the guide that I have only tested my server in my LAN where all my friend's brought their PC's to my house. I have never tried with them connecting over the web. That is a whole other can of worms that could have its own set of issues.

My advice, spin up a regular L4D2 server without all of the mods and customizations that allow 5+players and see if they can connect to that. If not then you may need to start up a new thread asking for help with whatever issues you encounter. Once you get a clean basic server working, try the 5+ player mods again. If it still doesn't work come back here and I can try to help.
Oh my.
LOL that's why.. Anyway, thanks for clearing up! Gonna look up again for another tutorial then.
protivakid
Old 10-31-2018 , 21:38   Re: How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Oh my.
LOL that's why.. Anyway, thanks for clearing up! Gonna look up again for another tutorial then.
I bet this guide will work for 5+ player, I just think you need to use a guide to first get your server up and running so that your friends can connect to it over the web. After that come here and try the guide again.
Sharki117
Old 06-30-2019 , 17:52   Re: How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb
Reply With Quote #17

I'm having trouble making the command prompt download the Force_install_dir C:\l4d2d, each time i have done it it doesn't see it as a command i need help
protivakid
Old 07-02-2019 , 11:52   Re: How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharki117 View Post
I'm having trouble making the command prompt download the Force_install_dir C:\l4d2d, each time i have done it it doesn't see it as a command i need help
Do you have the "Steam>" line first within command prompt?
NikoHUN
Old 07-10-2019 , 04:37   Re: How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb
Reply With Quote #19

Sorry, i got stuck at joining to my server. I'm trying a coop server.

It says the session is unreachable and when i check console it loads the map but the player limit is default and i guess it doesn't recognize my configs.

Do i need SuperVersus? I haven't installed it because I didn't plan on more heal packets.
I used your cfg but i deleted the snake part

Can you help me?
Where did i go wrong?

Last edited by NikoHUN; 07-10-2019 at 07:56. Reason: wrong grammar
Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2019 , 15:22   Re: How-To: Play L4D2 with 5+ player co-op using your own server by a newb
Reply With Quote #20

Guide is old and incomplete in a lot of ways. I would install SuperVersus over Behop any day.