Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage

Post New Thread Reply   

Ellie
Old 01-13-2014 , 13:55   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage
Reply With Quote #251

Well right now we have the cloud damage text show up throw a hint box. But the thing is we have other plugins that use the hint box too, and under certain situations, messages from different plugins can trigger the hint box at the same time and one will show over the other. Meaning the cloud damage message sometimes doesn't show because another plugin is triggering a hint message as well. So a progress bar like the one shown in the video will help display both messages in those situations.
Munch
Old 01-13-2014 , 14:41   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage
Reply With Quote #252

Given your standing inside a smoker's cloud which is damaging you health, players would instinctively move away from the cloud. You would see your own health diminish negating the need for a progress bar

personally I would just disable it as it doesn't really give you any useful information.

Having said that, if you really do want this progress bar try setting your plugins to use different methods to display notifications i.e. Chat message, centre screen txt or Hint display

// 0 - Disabled; 1 - small HUD Hint; 2 - big HUD Hint; 3 - Chat Notification
// -
// Default: "1"
l4d_cloud_message_enabled "3"
Old 01-14-2014 , 00:17   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage
Reply With Quote #253

It's easy to miss the chat message which is why I don't use it. And plus when you are in the cloud and receiving damage, the indication arrows around the player make it look like you are being shot at. I've seen people trying to revive others while in the cloud only to be continuously interrupted until the cloud is gone. A progress bar will make it very clear to get away from that cloud.

Last edited by Ellie; 01-14-2014 at 21:21. Reason: Typo
Techno 2
Old 03-17-2015 , 12:19   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage
Reply With Quote #254

Good job! a perfect anti-camping mod something akin to the spitter. Heck, don't even need a spitter to begin with.

Since I use it so much, I sometimes see little quirks here and there. Such as the smoker cloud not dealing damage one the first map load of any gamemode, and the custom soundfile parameter not working. (it just goes to the default sometimes for no reason instead of using the custom sound you have put in)
bazrael
Old 04-10-2016 , 08:05   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage
Reply With Quote #255

Report a weird problem: Survivors sometimes say the lines about touching spitter's goo like "Get out of this goo!", "Damn spitter got me!" when they're in cloud. I'm sure there was no spitter's goo under the cloud then.

Moreover, is it possible to reduce the time that visible cloud exists? I hope visible cloud exists only 8 seconds like spitter's goo, this won't make players wait longer time for vanishing smoke.
Munch
Old 04-10-2016 , 15:54   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage
Reply With Quote #256

Cant say Iv'e noticed if the cloud dissipates as well as it damages with this setting in the cfg

// How long the cloud damage persists
// -
// Default: "17.0"
l4d_cloud_damage_time "10.0"
Old 04-10-2016 , 21:38   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage
Reply With Quote #257

Anyone has the version that don't stuck bots to share?

The file of page 21 don't work on linux.

The only plugin i found that work in the 26 pages is the one in first page that stuck bots in cloud.
bazrael
Old 04-27-2016 , 04:07   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage
Reply With Quote #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Cant say I've noticed if the cloud dissipates as well as it damages with this setting in the cfg

// How long the cloud damage persists
// -
// Default: "17.0"
l4d_cloud_damage_time "10.0"
I set this cvar to 8 seconds like damage period of spitter's goo, but this won't reduce the time of existing smoke.
Visual77
Veteran Member
Old 03-19-2018 , 12:42   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage
Reply With Quote #259

There's a unreported bug after so many freaking years. Joining the survivor team or the spectator team while being a spawned smoker, triggers a player_death which causes a smoker cloud to trigger.

I added in additional logging in CreateGasCloud()
Code:
PrintToChatAll("Action GasCloud running. Client (%N, %d, team: %d, Alive %d) Attacker (%N, %d, team: %d, Alive: %d)", client, client, GetClientTeam(client), IsPlayerAlive(client), attacker, attacker, GetClientTeam(attacker), IsPlayerAlive(attacker));
Output:

Code:
Action GasCloud running. Client ((1)Smoker, 12, team: 3, Alive 0) Attacker (V1s, 1, team: 3, Alive 1)
What bothers me is it reports IsPlayerAlive 1 and GetClientTeam 3 when I'm clearly on the spectators team. Anyone who can shed some light on a fix?
It can be fixed if one limits the cloud to be created only if the attacker was in team 2, however, that is not a wanted resolution.

Edit: I may have solved it.
Code:
Victim: Smoker, 12, Team 3, Alive 0. Attacker: V1s, 1, Team 3, Alive 1. Weapon world.
Add in some additonal checks. If attacker is in team 3 and the event weapon string is equal to world, don't create the gas cloud. Or just don't create the cloud if weapon string is world.
Code:
	char weapon[32];
	event.GetString("weapon", weapon, sizeof(weapon));
	if (StrEqual(weapon, "world")) return;

/*  
		// Either block weapon world in general or use this below.

int attacker = GetClientOfUserId(event.GetInt("attacker"));
		if (IsValidClient(attacker) && GetClientTeam(attacker) == 3)
		{
			char weapon[32];
			event.GetString("weapon", weapon, sizeof(weapon));

if (StrEqual(weapon, "world"))
			{
				#if DEBUG
				PrintToChatAll("Exploit detected");
				#endif
				return;
			}	
		}
	*/

Last edited by Visual77; 03-19-2018 at 13:49.
ConnerRia
Old 03-29-2018 , 03:26   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Smoker Cloud Damage
Reply With Quote #260

Great plugin.

I feel like a damage tick every 0.5 seconds works better. It makes it more obvious the damage is coming from the cloud.

So here's a fork with a 0.5sec damage tick timer
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (l4d_cloud_damage.sp - 1245 views - 12.6 KB)