Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[L4D2] vphysics.dll crash

Post New Thread Reply   

Kira20
Old 12-02-2020 , 12:31   [L4D2] vphysics.dll crash
Reply With Quote #1

Hello there. First of all, I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this thread, newly registered and first time posting here. Have been browsing this place for plugins for years however, but not really knowledgeable.

I have been using SM and MM for L4D2 for awhile now and never had any major issues. Most of the time, managed to get it running well but ever since TLS update even now, I have been facing a frustrating issue where game would often crash during gameplay. Despite stated in the title that vphysics.dll is causing it, I can't be real certain to whether it is the real issue. That's just what I got from reading the .mdmp files created by the game when it crashed.

What I do know however, these are the steps I've taken and did before I finally decide to post here to ask for help:-
  1. On the day TLS update is released, I tried removing SM and MM since I read that they're not compatible or some sort as of yet. Game runs fine. Mods are installed still.
  2. After waiting and downloading for newer versions of SM/MM, installed it again and play the game with mods still present. Crashed with stated error.
  3. Decided to delete and install a fresh copy of L4D2. No mods and SM/MM this time, game runs fine.
  4. Installed and checked used mods one by one and playing the game in case any of them is causing the crash. Game runs fine.
  5. Installed SM/MM to current latest versions. Also updated used plugins based on newest versions available on respective threads. Mods disabled for now. Game crashes.
  6. Same as above but this time mods enabled. Game crashes.

When/how did crash happened?
Basically just anytime it wishes. Whether it be by deploying ammo pack, shooting a gun, sometimes killing/shoving an infected. At times when just walking around. I tried playing many times in hope of finding out what's the cause of it but couldn't pinpoint any specific action or event. Perhaps the mdmp files might tell more, I'm not an expert in reading it. One thing for sure I have not able to complete even a single chapter let alone a whole campaign due to this crash.

As for plugins used, here are the list:
sourcemod_version = 1.10.0.6499
metamod_version = 1.11.0-dev+1143V ( def. "1.11.0-dev+1143" )

Code:
01 "Admin File Reader" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  02 "Admin Help" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  03 "Admin Menu" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  04 "Anti-Flood" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  05 "Basic Ban Commands" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  06 "Basic Chat" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  07 "Basic Comm Control" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  08 "Basic Commands" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  09 "Basic Info Triggers" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  10 "Basic Votes" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  11 "Black And White Checker" (1.77) by cravenge, DarkNoghri, madcap, retsam, Merudo, Lux
  12 "[L4D2] AutoHelp" (1.2.3.1) by chinagreenelvis
  13 "[L4D, L4D2] Common Infected Regulator" (1.2.1) by chinagreenelvis
  14 "[L4D, L4D2] No Death Check Until Dead" (1.5.6) by chinagreenelvis
  15 "Client Preferences" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  16 "Fun Commands" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  17 "Fun Votes" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  18 "Auto grab laser sight" (1.1) by WolfGang
  19 "[L4D2] F-18 Airstrike" (1.7) by SilverShot
  20 "[L4D2] F-18 Airstrike - Triggers" (1.3-tr) by SilverShot
  21 "[L4D2] Flare Gun" (2.13) by SilverShot
  22 "L4D2 Gun Control" (1.1.3) by AtomicStryker
  23 "Lethal weapon" (2.1.13) by ztar (Fork by Dragokas, modify by Zakikun)
  24 "Points System" (1.8.1) by McFlurry & evilmaniac and modified by Psykotik
  25 "superBoss" (1.0.1) by Pan Xiaohai
  26 "[L4D & L4D2] Left 4 DHooks Direct" (1.29) by SilverShot
  27 <Error> "MultiTanks - Improved" (1.5) by Red Alex, cravenge, Harry Potter
  28 "No Friendly-fire" (7.5) by Psykotik (Crasher_3637)
  29 "Player Commands" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  30 "[PS] Buy Extended Support Structure" (2.0.1) by McFlurry && evilmaniac and modified by Psykotik
  31 "Reserved Slots" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  32 "Sound Commands" (1.10.0.6499) by AlliedModders LLC
  33 "Survivor Bot Takeover" (0.8) by Mikko Andersson (muukis)
  34 "[L4D2] Vicious Infected" (2.0) by Mortiegama, cravenge
For sourcemod/logs error, just this:
Code:
L [left4dhooks.smx] Failed to find signature: ForceNextStage
L [SM] Exception reported: Unable to find NextBotCreatePlayerBot<Tank> signature in gamedata file.
L Blaming: multitanks_a-l4d2.smx
L [SM] Call stack trace:
L [SM]   [0] SetFailState
L [SM]   [1] Line 78, sourcemod\scripting\multitanks_a-l4d2.sp::OnPluginStart
L [SM] Unable to load plugin "multitanks_a-l4d2.smx": Error detected in plugin startup (see error logs)
The plugins used before and after I decided to install a fresh copy and test are mostly the same. In exception to several few that I found and update, in some cases, delete and use new ones based on the latest builds etc I found in their respective threads.

Additional note, I have not used any extra extensions other than the ones provided by SM. I noticed there's Left 4 Downtown, l4dtoolz or the sort. However as of this posting, I installed 1-2 extension I think as the Multitanks Improved plugin requires them. Before TLS update, I've been using the old one posted by original creator. Despite this, the problem is still the same where the game crashes before and after installation of additional ext. Anyway, this is the ext list
Code:
[01] Automatic Updater (1.10.0.6499): Updates SourceMod gamedata files
[02] Webternet (1.10.0.6499): Extension for interacting with URLs
[03] Top Menus (1.10.0.6499): Creates sorted nested menus
[04] SDK Tools (1.10.0.6499): Source SDK Tools
[05] BinTools (1.10.0.6499): Low-level C/C++ Calling API
[06] SDK Hooks (1.10.0.6499): Source SDK Hooks
[07] Client Preferences (1.10.0.6499): Saves client preference settings
[08] SQLite (1.10.0.6499): SQLite Driver
[09] DHooks (2.2.0-detours15): Dynamic Hooks
I'm not sure how to upload mdmp files here since it exceeds size limit. I'll upload it somewhere else, sorry if it somehow violates forum rules. Thanks for your time and help. I'm a little clueless as to what to do, what's causing it for certain and how to fix it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w9o7qe...h/mdmp.7z/file
Marttt
Veteran Member
Old 12-03-2020 , 08:33   Re: [L4D2] vphysics.dll crash
Reply With Quote #2

Well try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marttt View Post
This is some of the steps that I have done:
  • Make a clean L4D2 install
  • Verify the integrity of files
  • Download Metamod 1.11
  • Update the SM gamedata folder OR Redownload SM1.10 / SM 1.11
  • Update left4dhooks (Silvers)
  • Update some 3rd plugins gamedata (you can check in the main post)

In case you use an SM version older than 1.10 then probably you will have a lot of problems.

If you still have issues, then you may try to remove some plugins from the server until the error stops.

Always check the sourcemod/logs folder.

Last edited by Marttt; 12-03-2020 at 08:47.
HarryPotter
Veteran Member
Old 12-03-2020 , 09:56   Re: [L4D2] vphysics.dll crash
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira20 View Post

Code:
L [SM] Exception reported: Unable to find NextBotCreatePlayerBot<Tank> signature in gamedata file.
L Blaming: multitanks_a-l4d2.smx
L [SM] Call stack trace:
L [SM]   [0] SetFailState
L [SM]   [1] Line 78, sourcemod\scripting\multitanks_a-l4d2.sp::OnPluginStart
L [SM] Unable to load plugin "multitanks_a-l4d2.smx": Error detected in plugin startup (see error logs)
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpo...6&postcount=35
Old 12-03-2020 , 10:53   Re: [L4D2] vphysics.dll crash
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Well try this:
Thanks I will try this. Will report back in a few days once I've thoroughly check. Also thanks to user above for gamedata update of multitanks
Dragokas
Veteran Member
Old 12-03-2020 , 14:08   Re: [L4D2] vphysics.dll crash
Reply With Quote #5

@Kira20, I see sourcemod.2.l4d2.dll loaded in left4dead2.exe.
Looks like you are hosting the listen server, that is officially unsupported.

- Remove "addons" folder
- Do "Integrity check" via Steam -> your game -> Properties -> Local files -> Check integrity.
- Make a normal local dedicated server: instruction is here: SourcePawn Scripting - Tips, Basics to Advanced, Section 2. Server Setup. AppId for L4d2 server is 222860. See also remarks here.

I would also suggest you try to disable BitDefender during the tests.
If crashes still occur, install Accelerator and give as a report from the main page and call stack (View Raw).

Last edited by Dragokas; 12-03-2020 at 14:10.
Kira20
Old 12-04-2020 , 01:18   Re: [L4D2] vphysics.dll crash
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragokas View Post
@Kira20, I see sourcemod.2.l4d2.dll loaded in left4dead2.exe.
Looks like you are hosting the listen server, that is officially unsupported.

- Remove "addons" folder
- Do "Integrity check" via Steam -> your game -> Properties -> Local files -> Check integrity.
- Make a normal local dedicated server: instruction is here: SourcePawn Scripting - Tips, Basics to Advanced, Section 2. Server Setup. AppId for L4d2 server is 222860. See also remarks here.

I would also suggest you try to disable BitDefender during the tests.
If crashes still occur, install Accelerator and give as a report from the main page and call stack (View Raw).
I see. Thanks for the suggestion. I used to use dedicated since around 2011 - 2012 back then when still very active with L4D2. Then took a break for like a year and two and ever since then, tried to run it with listen server instead due to friends weren't active either and its either just myself or playing or with one other friend. Seeing how game works fine, I've been using it with listen server
for easier local play with no game-breaking issues aside from some plugins error up until TLS update where playing it on listen server crashes the game. Nevertheless I will try every suggestions and methods posted here and report back.
Dragokas
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2020 , 06:38   Re: [L4D2] vphysics.dll crash
Reply With Quote #7

Very curious, what game-breaking issues are you meaning exist in local dedicated server?
That's almost the same installation stages, like allowing firewall and port forwarding.
You'll just need to download SteamCMD and apply bat files for downloading/updating/running the server.
Marttt
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2020 , 10:58   Re: [L4D2] vphysics.dll crash
Reply With Quote #8

When TLS came my listen server used to crash too, updating the gamedata files, from recent SM versions, solved the crashes, maybe you have the same issue.

Last edited by Marttt; 12-04-2020 at 10:58.
Kira20
Old 12-04-2020 , 12:36   Re: [L4D2] vphysics.dll crash
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragokas View Post
Very curious, what game-breaking issues are you meaning exist in local dedicated server?
That's almost the same installation stages, like allowing firewall and port forwarding.
You'll just need to download SteamCMD and apply bat files for downloading/updating/running the server.
I don't mean to say I had problems with dedicated. I meant to say, I used to use dedicated but then one day gave listen server a try and it works too. So ever since then been using a listen server instead of dedicated Like Martt said below, before TLS update came, there were no issues with listen server. And yes I am aware sourcemod doesn't officially support listen server, but it works.

Quote:
When TLS came my listen server used to crash too, updating the gamedata files, from recent SM versions, solved the crashes, maybe you have the same issue.
I'll definitely try it out and the other posted steps in this thread tomorrow
Kira20
Old 12-06-2020 , 22:34   Re: [L4D2] vphysics.dll crash
Reply With Quote #10

I've tried Marttt's suggestions for the time being, although I did not do it on a clean L4D2 install yet, just tried the download metamod 1.11 and updating sourcemod by downloading SM 1.11 (whichever build doesn't matter I assume?), including updating the multitanks and its gamedata by user HarryPorter. The game still crashes with the same error stated by today's .mdmp file.

Now I'm going to give the game a fresh install and this time check the plugins I used one by one to see if problem still exists. I will report back here once I've made progress.

Update: I uninstalled/deleted L4D2 and all of the SM, MM, mods etc. Took this opportunity to re-test everything I posted in post #1 on official campaigns and custom community campaigns. Running the game on its own with no additional stuffs causes no issues, as expected. I then proceed to subscribe mods on Steam Workshop one by one, eventually I get to the bottom of the addons used list. Now, playing the game alongside with mods also causes no issues as of now. I am planning to further test this on couple other campaigns to really rule out that its not mods that's causing this crash.

Once I've done this, it is time to install SM and MM again but this time, will test the plugins one by one. Will report back when there's progress

Last edited by Kira20; 12-10-2020 at 01:16.