8% 

Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk

Post New Thread Reply   

Pro Patria Finland
Old 09-11-2007 , 16:29   Re: Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmclarengt View Post
It would have been real nice to have had this topic a couple days ago when I actually had Ubuntu and was fighting with it. I will probably partition Ubuntu back onto my laptop soon so I will probably come here for some help.

Slmclarengt
Hehe, you inspired me to finally post this.
Anyways, were 'ere.
Donor
Old 09-11-2007 , 16:30   Re: Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk
Reply With Quote #12

Whats the specs on your laptop? I may recommend you to use vmware, download the free server version, and install ubuntu as a virtual machine so you can toy around with it before installing it on your harddrive. (With virtual machine you can just delete the file and start over, or better yet take a snapshot of a fresh install and when you want to start over just revert to the snapshot )
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 09-11-2007 , 17:15   Re: Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticDeath View Post
Whats the specs on your laptop? I may recommend you to use vmware, download the free server version, and install ubuntu as a virtual machine so you can toy around with it before installing it on your harddrive. (With virtual machine you can just delete the file and start over, or better yet take a snapshot of a fresh install and when you want to start over just revert to the snapshot )
Lol I don't think my laptop is quite up-to-par with tech standards as it only contains a Celeron M processor (clocked at a whopping 1.3 Ghz! - P4 gone wrong and the P4 gone right still sucks :-)). I will have 1.25GB RAM by the end of the week because I ordered 1GB because currently I have 512 so unfortunately I'm going to have to store 256MB RAM just because it won't fit :-). My neighbor in my dorms has Microsoft VM to mess around with VISTA and even with 1.5GB RAM dedicated to vista, it still uses all CPU/RAM allocated ;-).

I may consider it but let me know what you think. Plus I don't want my work to go to waste if I get ubuntu configured correctly then not be able to use it on my hard drive :-).

EDIT: 40GB Hard Drive

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
TheNewt
Donor
Old 09-11-2007 , 17:22   Re: Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk
Reply With Quote #14

yeah, thats not worth it. Gotta be able to allocate atleast 1gb ram to the VM in my honest opinion, and 1 gb to host. Having a duel core always helps since the VM can be set to just use one, while the host uses the other, or the VM can use both and share with the hosting OS. However, the free VM software doesn't allow you to use more then 2 cpu's for the VM. I don't know about the enterprise edition, since thats 4 grand to buy
Ingram
Veteran Member
Old 09-11-2007 , 22:55   Re: Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Patria Finland View Post
I find Linux better. It's stabler, better supported and more secure. Also, it's free, doesn't have idiotic things like "User Access Control."

Yes, Linux is "hard" to use in the beginning, but when people realize, that it's no different than clicking icons as it has been since Amiga Workbench, the "hard" word is usually forgotten...
Well, I don't know how to define stabler... I don't think my server has ever crashed and my laptop... maybe once, can't remember it happening. And I happen to like user access control. Group policy is great as well.

I checked the wikipedia article and it says WPA support was in the April 2007 release. Windows released an update for WPA2 on April 29, 2005. This doesn't seem like the best support. Not to mention that there is still more windows users than any other operating system.

About more secure. Well, read http://blogs.csoonline.com/days_of_risk_in_2006 which is the source microsoft used in their windows vs. linux site. And at least there isn't a program that gives you administrator access (or root in the case of linux) by typing in a command prompt.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 09-12-2007 , 01:33   Re: Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Not to mention that there is still more windows users than any other operating system.
There is a reason for that, and if you don't know that reason then I am truly sorry, for you are a blind follower.*

Quote:
And at least there isn't a program that gives you administrator access (or root in the case of linux) by typing in a command prompt.
You probably don't understand the layer of security linux brings, and how Microsoft incorporates security throughout the operating system. While microsoft can afford to fuck up and redo an OS like vista, unix-based OS can't, and because of that there are fewer bugs in the linux operating systems like Ubuntu, and since its open source if you find a bug, you can either A) Report it, or B) fix it yourself. Unlike microsoft, where you would have to wait longer to have something fixed. Can anyone say Vista has compatibility issues with a larger portion of popular software?

*One of the many reasons Microsoft did so well in selling Windows, is because they threatened stores(that sold computers) that if they tried selling any operating system other then windows on their machines, that windows would pull all their licenses out of that store, basically fk'ing the store over with their machines. So nearly every box had windows installed on it when you bought it. [Further clarification: I mean when stores sell machines without windows installed on it or with another OS installed on it. I'm pretty sure microsoft couldn't do anything if the store sold linux distros on CD's or something]
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 09-12-2007 , 01:56   Re: Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk
Reply With Quote #17

Vista is less compatible with many popular softwares especially games. Also let's not forget VISTA uses more computer resources and demands more than most video games! Vista = spoof of Mac OS X and I say that grudgingly because I hate microsoft and apple. Open source projects such as linux will gain ground very fast once people realize there are free operating systems that work better than crappy windows. Microsoft Windows are just like Glass Windows, they break very easily when you throw more than a piece of paper at them.

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
Pro Patria Finland
Old 09-12-2007 , 08:59   Re: Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk
Reply With Quote #18

Ok, we've argued enough.

Take your "My OS is better" crap out of this thread. So you chose Windows? Fine with me. I and many more chose Linux, and for a good reason.
Veteran Member
Old 09-12-2007 , 11:07   Re: Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk
Reply With Quote #19

Alright I won't do a rebuttal, I just want to point out that
Quote:
Not to mention that there is still more windows users than any other operating system.
was a reference to support, not a reason to use it.
Pro Patria Finland
Old 09-13-2007 , 09:34   Re: Ubuntu talk / Ubuntu helpdesk
Reply With Quote #20

I just had to post a new thread for this:
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=60800

Good hint of the future, I hope.