Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[SOLVED]Need help solving a segmentation fault(not srcds or hlds)

Post New Thread Reply   

WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 05-22-2014 , 11:20   [SOLVED]Need help solving a segmentation fault(not srcds or hlds)
Reply With Quote #1

I'm working on this little c++ project for a friend of mine on Steam(I'm just porting Steambot(built on C#) to c++) and I've run into a little problem where I'm getting segmentation fault.
gdb reports the fault comes from this line:
Code:
		cmdHandler->FireCommand(msg);
the entire source is here: https://github.com/WildCard65/SteamB...ter/BotManager
the line in the code tags about is in this file: https://github.com/WildCard65/SteamB...ConsoleApp.cpp
Edit:
To compile:
  1. Make sure you got GTK3(not GTK2) and Boost Filesystem(Both if I read right, should be cross platform)
  2. For linux, run "cmake . -DISDEBUG=true" for windows, run "cmake -DISDEBUG=true", the -DISDEBUG=true just makes it compile into Bin/Debug folder.
  3. then run make(on linux) or nmake(on Windows, unless you got visual studios, then it'll just replace the solution file and make vs c++ projects)
To recreate seg fault, in the command line between "botmgr> " label and the button, type anything then either click button or hit enter on keyboard.

Last edited by WildCard65; 05-22-2014 at 15:27.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-22-2014 , 14:42   Re: Need help solving a segmentation fault(not srcds or hlds)
Reply With Quote #2

C++ isn't my strong suit, but my best guess is that cmdHandler is NULL.

This is supported by this other line in ConsoleApp::ConsoleApp:
Code:
cmdHandler = cmdHandler;
which is a NOP and likely optimized out (I'm surprised you didn't get a warning from the compiler on this line).

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons you don't name your global and local variables with the same name.

Last edited by Powerlord; 05-22-2014 at 14:47.
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 05-22-2014 , 15:24   Re: Need help solving a segmentation fault(not srcds or hlds)
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
C++ isn't my strong suit, but my best guess is that cmdHandler is NULL.

This is supported by this other line in ConsoleApp::ConsoleApp:
Code:
cmdHandler = cmdHandler;
which is a NOP and likely optimized out (I'm surprised you didn't get a warning from the compiler on this line).

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons you don't name your global and local variables with the same name.
I'll post results when I get there, funny thing though is the line it's faulting on still gets called.
Edit: Thx Powerlord, it fixed it(I changed the variable that is near top of cpp file for ConsoleApp to have a "L" infront(for local)

Last edited by WildCard65; 05-22-2014 at 15:26.