Sound at end of map

Post New Thread Reply   

JoKeR LauGh
Veteran Member
Old 12-26-2011 , 07:33   Re: Sound at end of map
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordekay
Ava: I run hlds non-steam servers on Linux, and here is the screen with description at the bottom
http://gamesplace.cz/mapy/2011-12-26_023417.jpg

fysiks: thx maybe i'll try it
Why? Because there is not one single universal truth which holds the meaning for everything.
RTG
Old 12-26-2011 , 08:03   Re: Sound at end of map
Reply With Quote #12

oh but the hlds is updated to latest stable version, so i don't think this could affect something... and i really don't remember i wrote that :O i hope your support won't end?
Send a message via ICQ to RTG Send a message via AIM to RTG
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 12-26-2011 , 08:06   Re: Sound at end of map
Reply With Quote #13

You modified hlds to allow non-steam players to connect. This can have various effects, no matter which version you used for that.

XxAvalanchexX
Veteran Member
Old 12-27-2011 , 20:09   Re: Sound at end of map
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Ava: I run hlds servers on Linux, and here is the screen with description at the bottom
http://gamesplace.cz/mapy/2011-12-26_023417.jpg

fysiks: thx maybe i'll try it
I think this screenshot has to do with what are called "newline characters." On Unix, lines of text are broken up by a line feed (LF) character. On Windows, lines of text are usually broken up by a carriage return (CR) character followed by a LF.

Since the file you are viewing was probably saved in Unix, it uses only LF characters, which in Notepad show up as those boxes (unless they're combined with a CR character). This is because Notepad is not a very smart program.

Was that file you showed me actually edited using WinSCP's internal editor?

I think since WinSCP is a Windows program, by default it uses CR+LF characters, which can cause problems when run on Unix. Somewhere should be an option for what kind of newline characters to use--see if you can find that.

Also, using non-Steam is illegal here, and can also cause mysterious problems, so we can't really support it, sorry. As a last resort I'd try simply using a different text editor and making sure it uses Unix newline characters.

Ava
RTG
Old 01-02-2012 , 17:38   Re: Sound at end of map
Reply With Quote #15

the file wasn't edited, it was only opened, once with notepad, once with that internal editor
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-02-2012 , 23:09   Re: Sound at end of map
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
the file wasn't edited, it was only opened, once with notepad, once with that internal editor
Just because a file wasn't intentionally edited by the user doesn't always mean that the file wasn't changed by the editor. It's possible that when it was opened by the internal editor it saved it again after you were done viewing it.
Old 01-03-2012 , 20:43   Re: Sound at end of map
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
OK, that's consistent then. The screenshot makes it look like it uses Unix newlines. If it was edited with the internal editor and my hypothesis is correct (which it might not be), they should've been converted to Windows newlines. But since you didn't edit it with WinSCP, that explains why they're still Unix newlines.

I still don't know if that's actually the problem with gungame.cfg or not, though. After you save changes to gungame.cfg in WinSCP, and open it in Notepad, does it have those same squares or not? If it does, I'm not sure what the problem is. If it doesn't, then it really is converting the newline characters, which may be your issue.

Ava

Last edited by XxAvalanchexX; 01-03-2012 at 20:44.
RTG
Old 01-04-2012 , 17:48   Re: Sound at end of map
Reply With Quote #18

after editing it like you described, it still shows those squares, unfortunately

anyway, what editor could you suggest? in some time i'll try to edit it... or maybe i still didn't try to compile it locally, i don't rememer :O
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-04-2012 , 18:42   Re: Sound at end of map
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
after editing it like you described, it still shows those squares, unfortunately

anyway, what editor could you suggest? in some time i'll try to edit it... or maybe i still didn't try to compile it locally, i don't rememer :O
You can't and don't want to get rid of "those squares". They are very important to the file.

Many of us here use Notepad++
Old 01-06-2012 , 16:58   Re: Sound at end of map
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
After you save changes to gungame.cfg in WinSCP, and open it in Notepad, does it have those same squares or not?
i have been talking about this i didn't want to get rid of them lol and thank you for suggest

and also thank you all for your support, i hope i can solve it at some time